Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 09:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Info on 6D

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 05, 2012 17:38 |  #46

munzzzzzzz wrote in post #15069314 (external link)
I'm on the fence between getting a 5DII and waiting for a 6D. I had a couple of chats with people at Canon Tech Support yesterday (got cut off from the first one so called back a second time). I didn't get any "ground breaking" new information, but both techs I talked to had played with a 6D, so I thought I'd share what I learned.

- As most have already figured out, the 6D is not intended to be a replacement for the 5DII. While the 5DII can be looked at as a "pro" level camera, that is not the intention of the 6D. It is a "pro-sumer" camera intended to be in line with the 7D. That doesn't mean "equal to". Where the 7D's target is sports, the 6D's target is portraits and landscapes. Build-quality, size, etc. wise, though, they are supposed to be very similar. In other words, if you are mainly into sports, go for the 7D, if you are mainly into portraits and studio go for the 6D, but if you want something that will excel at both, you're going to have to fork out the cash for the 5DIII, or have the benefits of both a crop and a full frame by buying a 6D and a 7D.

- The 6D will NOT have a PC sync port. With how common wireless triggers are for off camera lighting, I guess this isn't that big of a deal, but I thought it was pretty odd for a camera that's specifically targeted to be for portraits to not have one.

- While it just has the 11 focus points, it will inherit some of the focus system of the 5DIII, specifically the iFCL technology. The tech's explanation was that, for example, if you are tracking someone wearing a white jersey, it will recognize the color of that jersey and try to keep focus on that object as it moves. When I researched iFCL a bit, it seemed to imply that iFCL does use the focus points to determine where to meter, but it didn't really say that it actually helped AF at all, so whether or not the AF will actually be improved by iFCL is debatable. This may be some new functionality, or the tech may have just been smoking something. Anyone with more knowledge on the subject is welcome to chime in.

- The "silent shutter" mode of the 6D is supposedly even quieter than that of the 5DIII. The tech said he couldn't believe how quiet it was. Of course, this may or may not make a difference to you depending on how you will use it.

Very good info and it confirms what my thoughts on the 6D were (IE, its a complement to a 7D, Not a replacement)

Kinda also confirms my one feeling about the 5DIII, That its probubly the most logical upgrade for me

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,109 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 05, 2012 19:47 as a reply to  @ post 15070681 |  #47

A am paraphrasing a Canon executive who stated that for the Market nitche of 6D purchasers, top-notch focus isn't important.

However, excellent focusing is very important to me!

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 05, 2012 22:42 |  #48

RPCrowe wrote in post #15085193 (external link)
A am paraphrasing a Canon executive who stated that for the Market nitche of 6D purchasers, top-notch focus isn't important.

However, excellent focusing is very important to me!

Funny, I remember seeing a quote from a Canon rep who said that to get -3EV exposure sensitivity that certain AF components had to be "beefed up", which meant that others had to therefore be sacrificed due to size constraints. -3 EV sensitivity is a pretty big jump from the 5DII, and one I'd welcome.

Granted the rep could have been pulling excuses out of his backside to explain the otherwise seemingly (on paper) crippled AF system.:confused:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

munzzzzzzz
THREAD ­ STARTER
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 05, 2012 22:47 |  #49

Perhaps it's the 6 AF assist points that the 5DII has that had to be "sacrificed"? I don't think there was any mention of them in the specs of the 6D. I hope I'm wrong for Canon's sake, but it wouldn't surprise me if the 6D focused better in low light than the 5DII but was even worse at tracking moving subjects.

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

mantra
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 06, 2012 00:53 |  #50

KenjiS wrote in post #15084787 (external link)
While it just has the 11 focus points, it will inherit some of the focus system of the 5DIII, specifically the iFCL technology. The tech's explanation was that, for example, if you are tracking someone wearing a white jersey, it will recognize the color of that jersey and try to keep focus on that object as it moves. When I researched iFCL a bit, it seemed to imply that iFCL does use the focus points to determine where to meter, but it didn't really say that it actually helped AF at all, so whether or not the AF will actually be improved by iFCL is debatable. This may be some new functionality, or the tech may have just been smoking something. Anyone with more knowledge on the subject is welcome to chime in.

thanks KenjiS

i'm more interested about the sensibility and accuracy of the 11 focusing points in one shot

the 5d mark3 is really great in low light and it has a very accuracy in focus

with my 5d mark2 often i had to switch to manual focus and use the live view

thanks
cheers

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

niku2
21 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 06, 2012 06:39 as a reply to  @ KenjiS's post |  #51

When the 6D was rumored, they said that it will have 7D autofocus system. But from what I see, it is whorse than 650D (who has 9 points AF, all cross type), whitch is not an action camera...
And is not only that problem, or the SD card.
How about the falsh x sync - only 1/180, or only mono movie recording, or 100k shutter warranty, 1/4000 shutter speed??
It looks like 60D with FF sensor, with some -- (like: 9 points AF all cross type, 1/250 flash sync, 1/8000 shutter speed, and articulated screen).

I will buy 5D mk II again... or the mk III

mantra
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 07, 2012 01:40 |  #52

niku2 wrote in post #15086450 (external link)
When the 6D was rumored, they said that it will have 7D autofocus system. But from what I see, it is whorse than 650D (who has 9 points AF, all cross type), whitch is not an action camera...
And is not only that problem, or the SD card.
How about the falsh x sync - only 1/180, or only mono movie recording, or 100k shutter warranty, 1/4000 shutter speed??
It looks like 60D with FF sensor, with some -- (like: 9 points AF all cross type, 1/250 flash sync, 1/8000 shutter speed, and articulated screen).

I will buy 5D mk II again... or the mk III

i can't believe he 6d focus system is worse then the 650 or 6d

are 11 points , is really only the center point cross type?

thanks

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 07, 2012 02:09 |  #53

Crosstype or non-crosstype is really something people need to just get over here..theres more to AF point and sensor design than just "is it sensitive to vertical or horizontal or both"

Most people compare this to the D600, which has 39 points, of which there are 9 cross types, Fair enough, sounds great on paper, Except for the fact every one of the cross type points is grouped in a 3x3 box in the middle of the frame.. You have no better cross type coverage on the D600 than you do on the 6D... Yet the D600 somehow has "better" AF? More points may not always be better

Oh and for the record, Nikon is bad about this, Heres the D800 for the record... The D4 uses the EXACT same layout

http://www.dpreview.co​m/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/15 (external link)

The the orange boxes? Those are your cross type sensors.. They're ALL in the center... Keep in mind if i want to be very brutal Nikon lacks high sensitivity double crosses or enhanced precision crosses for f/2.8 lenses...

Fun fact, if Canon really, REALLY wanted to "cripple" the camera compared to the 5DIII they would have just reused the 5DII's AF system, Why? Because its been paid for, It probubly costs pennies to put in there now, It certainly would have been more cost effective and profitable for Canon to reuse an AF system from an older camera, But no, Canon instead decided to cripple and cost cut by spending millions of dollars developing and fabricating a completely new AF system for this camera in the hopes of making it an uncompetetive piece of junk.. /s

No, They developed a new AF array and on paper it appears to be tuned to do one thing, Kick rear in low light work, This camera appears to be the low light king, designed for shooting in crappy conditions, The kind of camera for concert and club photographers, And wedding photographers...

I'll say it again, Nikon's marketing is bloody brilliant and Canon needs to step up its game.. Not in making better products, because I think their products are smashing, But in better marketing those products, building a hype machine, and shipping things much faster..

Nikon has shipped the D600, People have them, People are making great images with them and showing how great it is, And yes, its a great camera...

But lets not forget the 6D hasnt really done diddly yet, Theres 8 sample images(that i know of) from it, Which look really nice (but are pre production samples) and nowone has really gotten to use it in the field (who can talk about it) We cant judge it because it hasnt presented enough evidence to be judged yet... Everything is speculation...

And again, I think the 6D is a winner, I think its going to have an AF system worthy of praise, Probubly better than the 7D's in many situations and second only to a 5DIII

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 07, 2012 05:58 |  #54

KenjiS wrote in post #15089520 (external link)
And again, I think the 6D is a winner, I think its going to have an AF system worthy of praise, Probubly better than the 7D's in many situations and second only to a 5DIII

If the camera lives up to its touted specs, then it'll be better than even the 5D3 for focusing in low light. -3EV! :shock:

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 07, 2012 10:17 |  #55

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15085735 (external link)
Funny, I remember seeing a quote from a Canon rep who said that to get -3EV exposure sensitivity that certain AF components had to be "beefed up", which meant that others had to therefore be sacrificed due to size constraints. -3 EV sensitivity is a pretty big jump from the 5DII, and one I'd welcome.

Yeah, the -3EV center AF point is very interesting. The older EOS cameras would AF at -.5EV according to the specs. Heck, the 6D center AF point is supposed to work a full stop darker than the 5D3. One of my biggest complaints with the 40D/50D/5D2 is that their low light AF performance pretty much sucks.

Anyone know if the 6D has micro focus adjust?

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

munzzzzzzz
THREAD ­ STARTER
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 07, 2012 11:19 |  #56

Yes, I believe it does, and I think it actually has separate adjustments for the long and wide ends of zoom lenses and tracks lenses by serial number so you can register multiple copies of a lens with different adjustments.

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 07, 2012 17:09 |  #57

munzzzzzzz wrote in post #15090633 (external link)
Yes, I believe it does, and I think it actually has separate adjustments for the long and wide ends of zoom lenses and tracks lenses by serial number so you can register multiple copies of a lens with different adjustments.

Very nice. Thanks for the info.

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

esanders101
64 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 10, 2012 18:11 |  #58

Can anyone help clarify high ISO noise capabilities with the 6D?
I am into astrophotography and need a body that will help expose the milky way at high ISO.
My 7D isn't good enough and am trying to decide on a 5D mark ii, or a 6D.
I have heard some exciting news that the 6D may be equal in ISO performance as the 5D mark iii and in that case, I won't need to spend the extra cash for the mark iii to get great results.
Also what number do you call to speak with those Canon tech personnel? maybe I can ask them

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,026 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 10, 2012 18:17 |  #59

esanders101 wrote in post #15105487 (external link)
Can anyone help clarify high ISO noise capabilities with the 6D?
I am into astrophotography and need a body that will help expose the milky way at high ISO.
My 7D isn't good enough and am trying to decide on a 5D mark ii, or a 6D.
I have heard some exciting news that the 6D may be equal in ISO performance as the 5D mark iii and in that case, I won't need to spend the extra cash for the mark iii to get great results.
Also what number do you call to speak with those Canon tech personnel? maybe I can ask them

You could ask, but I doubt they'd give very specific information on this at this point. I'd be very surprised if the ISO capability is the same as that of the 5mk3's, but I'd sure bet it would better than that of the 7D's. Just how much better is anyone's guess.

Apricane IG Travel/City (external link) IG Editorial/Fashion (external link)flickr (external link)
EOS RP | 77D | M6 | 430EX II - 270EX II
EF ∑24-105A | 70-300L | 40 STM | 100L
EF-S 15-85 | 55-250 STM // EF-M 18-55 | 22

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 10, 2012 20:51 |  #60

I'm pretty sure we're all very eager to see a full review and test shots of the 6D on dpreview!!

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

sponsored links

19,408 views & 0 likes for this thread
Info on 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.