Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Oct 2012 (Saturday) 02:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking to better my kit

xxmxaxrxyxx
781 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 06, 2012 02:35 |  #1

I own both the 5dii and 7d. Most of my lens are EF-s lenses and don't fit my 5dii so with that being said I would like opinions on what I need to sell and what to replace it with so that my lens collection will be compatible for both cameras. I enjoy shooting portraits of people and pets (mainly dogs).

Sony a7ii || MC Tele Rokkor-PF 135 f2.8 || MC Rokkor-PG 58 f1.2 || MC Rokkor-PF Macro 55 f/1.7 || MD Rokkor-X 50 f1.7 || MD 50 f2 || MD Rokkor-X 45 f2 || MC W.Rokkor-SG 28 f3.5 || MD W.Rokkor-X 24mm 2.8 || MC Rokkor-OK 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye || FotoDiox EF NEX Adapter || Fotasy A7MD PRO MD NEX adapter || 40 f2.8 Pancake || ∑ 50 1.4 ///// ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 || ∑ 30 f1.4 || 60 f2.8 USM || || 580 EX II || Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC ///// S95

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 06, 2012 02:56 |  #2

I would think your 85/1.8 and the tamron 70-300 would do great for people and pets? What do you find lacking in those 2 lenses?

If you just want to replace your other lenses so you can use all of them on your 5D and your 7D though, then I suggest a 17-40 or 16-35 instead of the tokina 11-16 and the tamron 24-70 VC to replace the sigma 17-50. The 30 1.4 can be replaced by sigma's 50 1.4.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Vendee
449 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 06, 2012 03:08 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #3

I would keep the 11-16 and the 17-50 exlusively for your 7D. I'd keep the EF85 which will be good for portraits. I would sell the rest and buy something like a EF24-105L which will work well on both your bodies.

| EOS 6D| EOS 3 |EF 24-105mm f/4L|EF 70-200mm f/4L IS |EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | EF 50 f/1.8 II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Speedlite 430EX II |Pentax MX |Pentax ME Super|Pentax K1000|Kiev 4A|Yashica Electra 35 GTN|Yashica 24
My stuff:- www.giverin.co.uk (external link)

Bonbridge
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 06, 2012 04:36 |  #4

Keep: 85F1.8 and the tokina 11-16
Buy: 24-70 and 70-200

5DII + 6D | 16-35/4.0L IS | Σ35/1.4A | 40/2.8 | Σ85/1.4A | 70-200/2.8L IS II
iMac Retina 5k | i7 | 24Gb RAM | 512GB Flash | 4GB M295X

Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

picsbyamanda
119 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 06, 2012 04:52 |  #5

That's why you try and buy all L series lenses if you own a Canon. They're more expensive but they're compatible with all Canon's DSLR models AND keep a constant aperture. I only have one lens and it's a Canon L lens that I spent a while saving up for and I like it. But if I were you, I'd sell everything except the Tokina 11-16 2.8 and 85mm 1.8 and buy/save up for a 24-70mm, 70-200mm, or a 50mm. That's actually kinda surprising to have all those primes and not have a 50mm. But if you could get either, or all even, of those lenses mentioned before you'd be set to shoot portraits and your pets. Also I saw that someone mentioned a 24-105mm earlier. If you do decide to go for it try it out first. It's either you love it or you hate it. That lens and some people don't get along very well, so definitely try it before you decide that's what you want to get or save up for. Cheers!

Gear List |Flickr (external link)|Twitter (external link)

TheBB
30 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 06, 2012 06:27 |  #6

picsbyamanda wrote in post #15086318 (external link)
That's why you try and buy all L series lenses if you own a Canon. They're more expensive but they're compatible with all Canon's DSLR models AND keep a constant aperture.

The 100-400 and 70-300 do not have a constant maximal aperture.

5D Mk. III
16-35mm f/2.8 L II, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 IS L, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 06, 2012 06:35 |  #7

picsbyamanda wrote in post #15086318 (external link)
That's why you try and buy all L series lenses if you own a Canon. They're more expensive but they're compatible with all Canon's DSLR models AND keep a constant aperture. But if I were you, I'd sell everything except the Tokina 11-16 2.8 and 85mm 1.8 and buy/save up for a 24-70mm, 70-200mm, or a 50mm. That's actually kinda surprising to have all those primes and not have a 50mm. But if you could get either, or all even, of those lenses mentioned before you'd be set to shoot portraits and your pets. Also I saw that someone mentioned a 24-105mm earlier. If you do decide to go for it try it out first. It's either you love it or you hate it. That lens and some people don't get along very well, so definitely try it before you decide that's what you want to get or save up for. Cheers!

Realize that this is purchasing advice from a 16 year old- according to her sig.. Probably does not have a job.. Does not earn her own money.. Spends mommy and daddy's money instead..

Really though- "go get all L-glass ! " ? Fairly sure that you can buy some top notch glass from other manufacturers that would fit both crop and full frame bodies.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 06, 2012 06:57 as a reply to  @ wayne.robbins's post |  #8

There really isn't anything wrong with the glass in your signature. If you think something is lacking somewhere, upgrade what you don't like in yours.

If it were me, I might sell the two telephotos to fund some 70-200L version or the 70-300L. I also like macro, so I would pick-up a macro lens.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

picsbyamanda
119 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 06, 2012 07:41 |  #9

wayne.robbins wrote in post #15086445 (external link)
Realize that this is purchasing advice from a 16 year old- according to her sig.. Probably does not have a job.. Does not earn her own money.. Spends mommy and daddy's money instead..

Really though- "go get all L-glass ! " ? Fairly sure that you can buy some top notch glass from other manufacturers that would fit both crop and full frame bodies.

Wow, I'm speechless. I bet you feel REALLY empowered about telling off a teenager. Did you sleep good? I bet you just feel on top of the world right now. Pathetic.

Let me tell you how WRONG you are about me. I'm too busy involved with school, something you obviously weren't according to your grammar and lack of any type of correct punctuation, to have a job other than doing freelance photography in my free time. I play varsity sports, have schoolwork, and am involved with a bunch of other clubs and organizations to have a set work schedule.

And if you read all of my signature, you'd know that I only have ONE lens and ONE camera body. Why? Because I bought it myself! With what? NOT "mommy and daddy's money" with money I earned from doing photo shoots. So I do in fact, earn my own money. My parents buy me the necessities I need for school, home, and that's it. They don't just throw money at me to buy lenses and camera and useless crap because they're saving up for me to go to COLLEGE, where I'll still have to get some type of scholarship or financial aid. You know what college is right? It's basically school after high school where you choose what you wanna do in life and study it, and pay a bunch of money. I haven't lost you have I? I just wanted to make sure you're clear on it and we're on the same page because all the assumptions you made about me are blatantly wrong.

I have a T2i and I've had a T2i for over two years! It's the only camera I've ever owned, I never even had my own point in shoot, and I got my T2i for my birthday 2 years ago. And that was ALL the photography equipment my parents bought me. Also, if you're going to "quote" someone, at least use words they actually said or wrote. When did I ever say "go get all L-glass"? I didn't. I said you should TRY to get all L-glass and listed the reasons why she should invest in glass like L-glass. The reason why I only have one lens is because I bought it myself and right now I'm saving up so I can buy another one in a couple of months. I don't just go to my parents and say "I want a new lens. Give me your credit card."

And what's wrong with taking advice from people that are younger than you? I'm giving her actual helpful information based on what type of equipment I have, how long it took me to get my gear, and how I feel about it. I'm actually being relevant to what the topic is and answering her question, I'm not bashing other users through an online forum and typing up lies out of my butt. So next time you have an assumption to make, or just anything to say in general, do the whole universe a favor and don't. This is the first time I ever acknowledged you existence and I know I sure won't miss you and your big, loud opinion on these forums. I hope you have a GREAT life and I never hear from you again.

picsbyamanda
119 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 06, 2012 07:45 |  #10

TheBB wrote in post #15086428 (external link)
The 100-400 and 70-300 do not have a constant maximal aperture.

Yea, you're right. I was wrong, I meant that most of the L glass lenses stay at a constant maximal aperture. But you're right ;-)a

artyH
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 06, 2012 09:40 |  #11

Are there any lenses that you will never use or don't like? If you are happy with your Sigma 30 and use it, don't sell it. If you rarely use it, but might want it, keep it if you can afford to keep it.
You have two long zooms. If you never use them, then you might think of getting rid of them. If you think that you might want to use them for shots of dogs outside, consider a 70-210L. They are super lenses, but mine just sits on the shelf. It is not really used. I might want to get rid of it (70-210F4L), but I also tend to be a pack rat, and will probably keep it for that rare trip when I might want a long lens.
I use a 60D and T2i. I can't think of a more useful zoom than the 24-105L for shots of people and pets. The lens is great, and useful on both crop and full frame. If you aren't interested in scenics and travel photography, it will replace your Sigma 17-50. The shorter range is more useful for shots of stuff like buildings and scenes, but the Canon 24-105L is great for people and animals. It would also be perfect for travel and scenics on full frame.

Albert ­ Nam
393 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 06, 2012 10:02 |  #12

picsbyamanda wrote in post #15086547 (external link)
<tirade></tirade>

He was insensitive in his delivery—I must concede that. But he has a point. Third-party lenses have become quite viable alternatives for system DSLR lenses. Sometimes, "all-L" isn't a realistic or even a necessary game-plan. And I know that being called out for your age is frustrating, but the general rule is that experience only comes with time, so people are wont to make judgments. Outbursts such as this one certainly do not impel people to immediately throw respect at you.

For the OP, I would look into getting some version of a 70-200.

Gear
flickr (external link)

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 06, 2012 11:26 as a reply to  @ Albert Nam's post |  #13

@ picsbyamanda, so TheBB insulted you by discounting your adviced based on your age. To some people, your subsequent rant confirmed his assesment of you. You could have taken the high road and ignored his comment. As for your advice to the OP, it was too simplistic, hence the insult. There are alternatives to L lenses such as non L, EF lenses, and as Albert Nam correctly stated, "Third-party lenses have become quite viable alternatives". Anyway, this forum is not life and death, or tit for tat, it is a forum to exchange ideas, opinions, and information, not trade barbs and insults. I was looking at some of your Flickr images, you're doing great. I look forward to seeing more of your work. -rick

To the OP, you neglected to mention if there are any budget contraints to consider before people offer purchasing advice. I have a EF-S17-55 f/2.8 for my 40D, which I love, however it won't work on a FF body, my brother in law who is a wedding photographer has a EF 16-35 f/2.8L that he primarily uses for weddings. On a FF it would ultra wide angle, but is great for portrait work. -rick

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,426 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 06, 2012 12:36 as a reply to  @ alazgr8's post |  #14

I would really want to change my crop lenses out for full frame compatible ones if I go full frame.

I would sell the 11-16 and get a 17-40
Sell the 17-50 for a 24-105
Sell the 30/1.4 for a 50/1.4
Sell the 60 for a 100 L or non L.
I might sell the Tamron 70-300 later for a canon L telephoto.

What budget are you looking at for this?

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

xxmxaxrxyxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
781 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 06, 2012 13:01 |  #15

Thanks for all the recommendations it is truly appreciated. I forgot to update my signature and remove the 55-250mm. So I only have 1 zoom lens which i believe is compatible with my 5dii. I also love my 85mm so that won't be going anywhere. I used to have a nifty fifty when it was just the 7d but being that it was crop body i figured the 30mm would give me close to the 50mm of a full frame so I sold my nifty fifty and got the 30mm. Reason why i haven't gotten rid of the 60mm macro lens because the images are so sharp but it can only be used on my 7d since it's an EF-s lens. I tend to also be a pack rat and it's hard for me to decided what i need and what really was just a "want". But my kit is getting heavy and i would like to slim it down some so that i can take all my gear with me when i go out of town.

I also have the pancake 40 that i got a few months back that i haven't added to my signature.

I guess my thing is that i would like to slim down my kit.

i been wanting the 100 or 135mm lens for my 5d. I have played with the 24-105 and didn't really like it. But then again it was in the middle of the night inside the house just shooting random things to see it was something i wanted. And for some reason i didn't like it.

As far as budget goes. I don't want to fork out an arm and a leg since I don't do this professionally since it's more of a hobby for me than anything.

Oh and I love prime lens although it can be a hassle with changing out lens during a session. So I am open to even zoom lens. I believe the Tamron 70-300 is compatible with both bodies.

Sony a7ii || MC Tele Rokkor-PF 135 f2.8 || MC Rokkor-PG 58 f1.2 || MC Rokkor-PF Macro 55 f/1.7 || MD Rokkor-X 50 f1.7 || MD 50 f2 || MD Rokkor-X 45 f2 || MC W.Rokkor-SG 28 f3.5 || MD W.Rokkor-X 24mm 2.8 || MC Rokkor-OK 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye || FotoDiox EF NEX Adapter || Fotasy A7MD PRO MD NEX adapter || 40 f2.8 Pancake || ∑ 50 1.4 ///// ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 || ∑ 30 f1.4 || 60 f2.8 USM || || 580 EX II || Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC ///// S95

sponsored links

2,883 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking to better my kit
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.