Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Oct 2012 (Monday) 11:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Logo critique

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 05, 2012 21:09 |  #31

I feel like the child in "The Emperor's New Clothes"... lol

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

sponsored links
recrisp
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008

Oct 05, 2012 21:22 |  #32

ewheeler20 wrote in post #15085468 (external link)
I feel like the child in "The Emperor's New Clothes"... lol

Hopefully this'll help you envision it a little more. :D
That might look better without the gray area as a logo actually, using it in this shape... heheh

Randy

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 05, 2012 22:07 |  #33

ooooooooooh. I see it now that it's drawn out like that. Looking back at the original logo it disappears, but I understand how i guess somebody might think it could possibly potentially barely kinda look like NZ if they squinted their eyes enough...

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

Scottdog129
637 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 05, 2012 22:23 |  #34

Add your name in between the logo and the word "photo" and it'd work. You have to tell the viewer the name. They wont see it if the name isnt given. Id tweak it, but you dont have "editing ok" turned on.

Scott Thompson - www.sthompsonphoto.com (external link)
Canon EOS 30D - Canon 18-55mm f/3.5 - Sigma 10-20mm f/4 DSM -Canon 55-250mm IS - Canon 50mm f/1.8 II

Scottdog129
637 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 05, 2012 22:31 |  #35

Hope you dont mind, but I took the liberty of creating something. This is what I was thinking:

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img87/175/nzphotographylogo1.jpg

Scott Thompson - www.sthompsonphoto.com (external link)
Canon EOS 30D - Canon 18-55mm f/3.5 - Sigma 10-20mm f/4 DSM -Canon 55-250mm IS - Canon 50mm f/1.8 II

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 06, 2012 10:51 |  #36

recrisp wrote in post #15085151 (external link)
Well, actually, I have spent a large part of my life doing just that, and other designing. I'm sure that doesn't impress you at all, and it's not meant to, but I'm just saying, that you may not 'get it', that's all.
I've made logos for small and larger companies, (amongst other things since I am an artist by trade) you can't at all judge how good either of us (OP) are by this one instance, not even close.
The design I mentioned was a start, not an end to the design, you have to design, then design some more, rarely, if ever does anyone hit it the first time, it takes more than a few.

I will say, that ALL designers, lawyers, pilots, etc., 50% of all graduate from the bottom of their class... Not all of us are in the upper ranks I admit, we can't be.

Your comment came off as rude and very crude, the way you (always) do.
If there was a way for me to make it to where I didn't have to read your posts, I would do that.
I am really, really tired of people like you being rude and insulting others, please look up the word, "tact".

I have a good idea
, I would like to see you make one that he likes, do that, then we'll talk.

I'm jus' sayin'...

Sorry to derail a good thread, I apologize to the OP... :)

Randy

The fact that you think his logo is pure genius is the main reason I would suggest you get design done by professionals....and perhaps the reason you were in the bottom half of the class. I'm not going to design something because that's not my job. Can I do graphic design? Sure. Can I do it as well as a professional? Absolutely not. But I know enough to know that something is a bad design when I see it. You didn't start out by saying "Well, that's a good start but it needs refining". It's pure genius, through and through. It's kinda like the old phrase from one Ansel Adams - "There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept."

Also, tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic. Sorry, but I don't beat around the bush or hand out compliments or pats on the back for no good reason just to be "likable" or any other such nonsense. That doesn't do anyone any good.

Gear List

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 06, 2012 10:53 as a reply to  @ post 15085095 |  #37

double post somehow

Gear List

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 06, 2012 10:54 |  #38

Visinate wrote in post #15085095 (external link)
I don't see why they shouldn't, just because things start off rocky doesn't mean they'll always be bad. Practice.

Sure...practice with your business and toss a bad logo on your work rather than hiring a professional that can design a logo that will compliment you and your work, look professional and be meaningful and help to build brand recognition in your local market. Sounds like a great idea. What business school did you go to so I can make sure not to recommend it?

If you want to practice, go ahead. But practice making stuff that you aren't going to actually use for anything until you get to the point you are good enough to make a quality logo. Or hire someone to do it right.

Gear List

shep207
213 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 06, 2012 11:03 as a reply to  @ NewEnglandPhotographer's post |  #39

Going off what recrisp drew, you could alter the logo that way to make it a little more obvious without fully joining up all of the black sections..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

You could also add the full name inbetween the logo and 'photo' like Scottdog did..

recrisp
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 06, 2012 11:32 |  #40

Numenorean wrote in post #15087042 (external link)
The fact that you think his logo is pure genius is the main reason I would suggest you get design done by professionals....and perhaps the reason you were in the bottom half of the class. I'm not going to design something because that's not my job. Can I do graphic design? Sure. Can I do it as well as a professional? Absolutely not. But I know enough to know that something is a bad design when I see it. You didn't start out by saying "Well, that's a good start but it needs refining". It's pure genius, through and through. It's kinda like the old phrase from one Ansel Adams - "There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept."

Also, tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic. Sorry, but I don't beat around the bush or hand out compliments or pats on the back for no good reason just to be "likable" or any other such nonsense. That doesn't do anyone any good.

Well, for one, nowhere in my post did I say that I was in the bottom half of my class, you said that. Read that part again. I wrote that because it's true, there are many levels of everything. Upper ranks can still not be at the top, I know where I stand in the art world, I am not fooling myself, but you don't know where you stand, that is the difference...

The overall design is "pure genius", I stand by that, it'll need a tweak or two, the gist of it is genius, to me, I didn't say that I think it is genius for everyone here, if I did, I'd be wrong.

"tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic"
I don't care who may have said that originally, rude is rude, and there is a difference between beating around the bush and rudeness, that is two different things entirely, there is no excuse for rudeness on ANY of these forums.
There are many ways of critiquing anything without resorting to being rude, and a pat on the back has nothing at all to do with a good critique.
Sarcasm or rudeness has no place at all in any critique on this forum, or any other, none at all. Honesty does though, but there is a huge difference, think about that... Having one liners that are sarcastic especially don't help in any way, but if a person explained what they meant in an adult fashion, one that show the good and the bad, that could help.
"That doesn't do anyone any good" (Your words, not mine)

Some people actually think that because they are on a critique forum (or someone shows an image) they can be as rude as they want, that is not the intent of critiquing one's image. Kids on YouTube think that too, at least they do have an excuse, they are young, children, they may not have learned enough life lessons yet, or the responsibilities of being an adult. So while they still go on about how a person is this, or that, there is still hope that they will grow up and be responsible. Maybe you will see what is before you, we can only hope.
Take the time that you put in using your lack of tact to a positive way and I would imagine that you will see a difference in the way you are treated.

Like I said, I wish there was a way to block you, I would.
I am through talking to you, so go crazy with this.

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

recrisp
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 06, 2012 11:48 |  #41

shep207 wrote in post #15087102 (external link)
you could alter the logo that way to make it a little more obvious without fully joining up all of the black sections..

That image you made definitely helps clear up the 'not seeing it'... :)

Last night I thought about the design some to see what it could be, on mine, first I'd make the NZ to where it was square, not vertically rectangular. I'd put NICHOLAS ZALUD in a small, thin font on the left hand side, and PHOTOGRAPHY on the bottom. (The type font would be overkill if it were also bold, NZ already being bold is already enough)
All of the small fonts Justified to even it out. Also, I'd lower the opacity in Photoshop to where the NZ was semi-transparent, that was if he used it on a dark background, or a light, (as a logo or a watermark) it would work.
Something like that anyway...

That's how I might do it, if it were up to me, I don't even know if the OP is coming back anyway, it's been a while... :)

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 06, 2012 11:59 |  #42

recrisp wrote in post #15087204 (external link)
Well, for one, nowhere in my post did I say that I was in the bottom half of my class, you said that. Read that part again. I wrote that because it's true, there are many levels of everything. Upper ranks can still not be at the top, I know where I stand in the art world, I am not fooling myself, but you don't know where you stand, that is the difference...

The overall design is "pure genius", I stand by that, it'll need a tweak or two, the gist of it is genius, to me, I didn't say that I think it is genius for everyone here, if I did, I'd be wrong.

"tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic"
I don't care who may have said that originally, rude is rude, and there is a difference between beating around the bush and rudeness, that is two different things entirely, there is no excuse for rudeness on ANY of these forums.
There are many ways of critiquing anything without resorting to being rude, and a pat on the back has nothing at all to do with a good critique.
Sarcasm or rudeness has no place at all in any critique on this forum, or any other, none at all. Honesty does though, but there is a huge difference, think about that... Having one liners that are sarcastic especially don't help in any way, but if a person explained what they meant in an adult fashion, one that show the good and the bad, that could help.
"That doesn't do anyone any good" (Your words, not mine)

Some people actually think that because they are on a critique forum (or someone shows an image) they can be as rude as they want, that is not the intent of critiquing one's image. Kids on YouTube think that too, at least they do have an excuse, they are young, children, they may not have learned enough life lessons yet, or the responsibilities of being an adult. So while they still go on about how a person is this, or that, there is still hope that they will grow up and be responsible. Maybe you will see what is before you, we can only hope.
Take the time that you put in using your lack of tact to a positive way and I would imagine that you will see a difference in the way you are treated.

Like I said, I wish there was a way to block you, I would.
I am through talking to you, so go crazy with this.

Randy

lol...wow. Anyway I'm not being rude and I wasn't saying that I was being sarcastic...just dismissing the tact part. I'm brutally honest, and will always be that way. I'm treated just fine and the people whom have worked with me have grown in a positive way so I feel fine about helping others.

Gear List

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 06, 2012 12:03 as a reply to  @ recrisp's post |  #43

This whole thread reminds me of a Tom Hanks movie a few years ago,"That Thing You Do". The band was looking for a name for themselves, and they came up with the name "The Wonders", but they wanted to be different, and they got creative and spelled it "The One Ders", except everybody called them the "oh-niders". Some of the most recognizable logo's we have today including Apple, Starbucks etc, took years to evolved. Sometimes different isn't always better. -rick

Different, not necessarily better...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i107.photobucke​t.com …m312/alazg8/Dif​ferent.jpg (external link)

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

sophie's-mom
317 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 06, 2012 12:17 |  #44

Based on the mirror image like logo, it actually looks like SZ and not NZ based on the "cut" or "breaks" in the black.

sophie's-mom
317 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 06, 2012 13:01 |  #45

in the image below, you can see how the N would not be a mirror image of the Z and that's where part of the problem is...in my opinion.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8171/8060064700_681648dd24.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/sophies-mom/8060064700/  (external link)
NZ Photo (external link) by sophies-mom (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links

5,685 views & 0 likes for this thread
Logo critique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.