Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 22:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post trip - how do you organize your photos in LR?

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 04, 2012 22:25 |  #1

I just recently got back from a 2 wk family trip and have tons of pictures. This is the most images I've had taken ever and I'm kind of overwhelmed on where to begin after importing and picking the keepers.

My images are all from different events & places throughout the trip and I'm unsure what process to use in organizing. Do you guys create a collection based on one big trip or do you break it down even further into sub-folders?

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
stock28
499 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 05, 2012 00:59 |  #2

Whatever makes it easier for you. I would create a collection set for the entire trip and then create collections inside the set for however you wish to break it down, maybe by locations on the trip.

7D, 70-200 L f4 non IS, 100 macro 2.8, 50 1.8, 18-55 kit

FlickR (external link)

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 05, 2012 03:37 |  #3

I would do a collection set, then smart collections inside of that based on keywords. If you keyword your images, they will automatically go into the correct folders, and an individual image could show up in more than one folder if appropriate.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,463 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 05, 2012 04:47 |  #4

I also recently returned from a long trip in August. My usual folder structure is:

Photos
Month
Date (dd-mm-yy) and text description of event or location

however, in this case I made a subfolder within the August folder titled Canada Trip and inside that I put the usual Date+Text folders.
Aside from that individual shots got the usual keynoting.

Elie / אלי

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,507 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2012 10:27 |  #5

Your own organization of photos is a bit like creating an outline...it is how you want it organized!

Do you want to divide the USA by state? Do you want to divide the USA by region (West, East, North, South)? By political party (Demo, Repub, Green, other)? By gender (male, female, questionable)? Your organization of photos is similar in concept...how YOU would like it organized.

You can use software features to help. For example, I fundamentally organize folders and subfolders like tzalman, by folder for location, then subfolder for date: Australia/Apr7, Australia/Apr8, New Zealand/Apr9, etc. And I use LR keywords feature to tag photos by locations and/or other organizational search words, like 'museum' or 'church' or 'zoo' and/or 'painting' or 'statue' or 'animal'.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 05, 2012 13:40 |  #6

I generally don't make my folders based on specific dates, since it's so easy to use other Lightroom tools to sort by date. If I have a (rare) need to find the photos I took on April 14, 2012, I can just filter the whole catalog by dates, and if further refinement is needed, then by keyword or metadata (camera body, etc).

There are exceptions, of course - I'll put dates in the names of folders for recurring events. For instance, for the photos of my wife's dance group's performances, there's a folder for each performance, with the date and venue name in the name of the folder. And, other recurring events such as holidays are labeled by date, e.g. "Christmas 2011."

But for the most part, my folder organization is not based around dates, it's based around the type of content.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 05, 2012 14:39 |  #7

For personal stuff I keep a year folder as a master.... 2010...2011...2012... After that I just let lightroom dump them in folders sorted by the "shot on" date. Some special events get a named folder. And vacations all go into its own named folder no matter how many days it is.

Clients get their own catalog.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Wilt
41,507 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2012 17:40 |  #8

nathancarter wrote in post #15083936 (external link)
But for the most part, my folder organization is not based around dates, it's based around the type of content.

Not to be argumentative, but to illustrate why I said 'by date' earlier...
And if you were to spend a 10 day holiday in Paris, how might you distinguish the many shots taken over the course of the trip?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

triton3k
Goldmember
3,358 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 05, 2012 20:52 |  #9

I organize by dates and events if I do more than one shoot in a day.

Denn_Ice
Yashica Mat 124G, Canon A1, Sony A7RII, Sony Fe 16-35 F/4, Sony Fe 28 F/2, Sony Fe 55 F/1.8 Canon FD 24 F/2.8, FD 50 F/1.8, FD 135 F/2.5, Canon FL 50 F/1.4
Check me out on flickr (external link) Tumblr (external link) Instagram (external link) 500PX (external link)

itsmejson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 05, 2012 22:46 |  #10

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I decided to go w/ the year/date folder structure.

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
Flickr (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 06, 2012 10:54 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #15084791 (external link)
Not to be argumentative, but to illustrate why I said 'by date' earlier...
And if you were to spend a 10 day holiday in Paris, how might you distinguish the many shots taken over the course of the trip?

Depends on how many photos it was. Probably based on content, something like this:

Personal Vacations/Paris 2012/Louvre
Personal Vacations/Paris 2012/Musee d'Orsay
Personal Vacations/Paris 2012/Misc City Landmarks
etc

For me personally, that would be much more meaningful than simply breaking it up into the ten days. I can remember that we went to Paris on 2012, but did we go to the Louvre on September 27th or September 28th? I can't remember. Maybe we went on two non-consecutive days ,and I want all the Louvre photos grouped together without going into a collection or keyword filter.

...It's a system that works well enough for me :)

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Wilt
41,507 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 06, 2012 11:05 |  #12

nathancarter wrote in post #15087061 (external link)
Depends on how many photos it was. Probably based on content, something like this:

Personal Vacations/Paris 2012/Louvre
Personal Vacations/Paris 2012/Musee d'Orsay
Personal Vacations/Paris 2012/Misc City Landmarks
etc

For me personally, that would be much more meaningful than simply breaking it up into the ten days. I can remember that we went to Paris on 2012, but did we go to the Louvre on September 27th or September 28th? I can't remember. Maybe we went on two non-consecutive days ,and I want all the Louvre photos grouped together without going into a collection or keyword filter.

...It's a system that works well enough for me :)

I don't disagree. But at the same time, if you happened to go to Montemarte and pass Sacre Coeur on multiple days, then you have to take some photos (taken on Sept. 10 and Sept 13 when you went back), and import SOME photos on 9/10 into the Montemarte folder, some others into the the Sacre Coeur folder, some others in the StreetMarket folder, and then do the same thing when you go back to all three places on 9/13...very laborious to divide into three folders on two different days, since it is six subdivisions of photos!
In short, what works in one situation may work poorly in a different situation.

itsmejson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 06, 2012 12:12 |  #13

wilt & nathan you both bring up a great point. I ran into this issue last night when I went to organize within lightroom. I had a bunch of pictures from Seattle spread out on a few days. What I did was
imported into lightroom based on date. Then within LR I created a main collection set: WA, 2012 then sub folders
- seattle
- glass museum
- etc

Another question I had was, this trip was a mix of family photos and sights from Seattle. Do you guys break your photos up even more w/ splitting family photos & artsy shots from wherever you went or keep them all together in a collection? I may be over thinking the process at this point but wouldn't mind hearing how you guys process.

thx :)

Flickr (external link)

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 06, 2012 12:19 |  #14

OK, I had to read to the end of the thread to see you explicitly state you're using Lightroom.

I organize my files by Year and by Date. Also, I use Downloader Pro to import my files from my card reader and to rename and sort them into date-based folders. Lightroom has similar functionality but DLP is much more powerful and flexible.

Once my files are on my hard drive in date-based folders, I import them into Lightroom. I don't add any description to folder names...that's the purpose of metadata. So you can easily subscribe to the principle of Who, What, Where, When in assigning keyword tags to your photos. For multi-day trips, I still sort them into date-based folders, but In Lightroom its a trivial matter to create a collection that groups all the photos from a trip.

You can also create Smart Collections that will scan you keyword tags and automatically group photos according the the collection rule(s) you set up.

Gear List

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 06, 2012 12:21 |  #15

What's the point of sub-folders? If you tag your images with location tags like "Seattle" or "Glass museum" you can easily use the Lightroom filter bar to search and locate the images that were tagged with those keywords.

itsmejson wrote in post #15087317 (external link)
wilt & nathan you both bring up a great point. I ran into this issue last night when I went to organize within lightroom. I had a bunch of pictures from Seattle spread out on a few days. What I did was
imported into lightroom based on date. Then within LR I created a main collection set: WA, 2012 then sub folders
- seattle
- glass museum
- etc

Another question I had was, this trip was a mix of family photos and sights from Seattle. Do you guys break your photos up even more w/ splitting family photos & artsy shots from wherever you went or keep them all together in a collection? I may be over thinking the process at this point but wouldn't mind hearing how you guys process.

thx :)

Gear List

sponsored links

4,180 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post trip - how do you organize your photos in LR?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.