Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Oct 2012 (Saturday) 21:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Advice

GopherM
227 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 06, 2012 21:14 |  #1

I'm getting ready to head to Madrid for a week. I'll naturally be taking my T3i with me. Which lens would I be best leaving on my camera most of the time...the 18-55 kit for the wide angle capability in the city or the 55-250 to capture more candid and distant shots?

Gripped T3i/Kit 18-55/ 55-250/Miranda Sensorex (film)/Miranda 50mm f1.4/Vivitar 135 f2.8/(Panasonic DMC FZ35 & FZ100/Yashicamat 124/Nikon N2020AF all sold to buy the T3i)

sponsored links
ickmcdon
323 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 06, 2012 23:25 |  #2

I would think definitely the kit.

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 07, 2012 10:42 |  #3

If you are going to limit yourself to just one lens then I think the 55-250. There are no more boring vacation pictures than when the shots are too far away to see detail. 55mm even in a crop camera will allow you to get good full body shots in all but the smallest spaces. Have a great trip! -rick

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 07, 2012 15:28 as a reply to  @ alazgr8's post |  #4

I would take the 18-55 for the landscape and architecture possibilities.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 07, 2012 16:16 as a reply to  @ Yogi Bear's post |  #5

Do you not have enough room to take both?
ETA: Ah - I may have misread your question - I find I have my 70-200 on my camera the most. Ultimately, I think it depends what type of shots you generally find yourself taking.

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 07, 2012 16:19 |  #6

It sounds like you will be taking both lenses with you, but are wondering which you are more likely to be using most of the time, yes?

What do you intend to shoot that is candid and distant, and do you foresee yourself shooting more of that then scenery, landscapes, landmarks, and family photos?

Unless you are dedicating the trip towards distant, candid people photos to capture the culture and lifestyle of the location you are visiting, I would also vote for 18-55 because it offers the widest angles through to 'normal' focal lengths, which are used for most subjects. The low end of the 55-250 range, up to about 85, may be useful in certain cases, but not as much as the 18-55 range.

I rarely use my 70-300 on vacations or trips, unless I am shooting something pretty far away. I do use it though, so I always bring it along. But it definitely doesn't stay on the camera for long.

The way I see it is, if there is even one situation where I need the 70-300, it makes having it with me for the rest of the trip worthwhile. Good example was shooting Puffins from far away in Iceland; we could not get any closer to them, so it was long lens or useless shots. Actually that was one of the really rare occasions where I found myself thinking a longer lens would have been great. It's just me, of course, as many people who do birding or wildlife would definitely disagree with my sentiment on the rare need for a long lens.

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

GopherM
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 08, 2012 15:17 |  #7

I am taking both lenses but just wondered which was be the most used. I don't know how many museums I will be allowed to shoot in. I guess I'll just have to swap out lenses more than I would like. Hopefully I can avoid dust on the sensor and not drop a lens during the swaps.

Thanks for the advice and input.

Gripped T3i/Kit 18-55/ 55-250/Miranda Sensorex (film)/Miranda 50mm f1.4/Vivitar 135 f2.8/(Panasonic DMC FZ35 & FZ100/Yashicamat 124/Nikon N2020AF all sold to buy the T3i)

tuboo
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 09, 2012 02:13 |  #8

I just came back from Madrid a couple of months ago. I had my 10-22mm on almost all of the time. I had my 24mm prime on the rest of the time. I brought my 50mm, 85 and 135 as well but never found a need to use them at all. They were all too close and could not capture the beauty of the city.

sponsored links

1,269 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Advice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.