Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ISO: Hiking/shooting sights for fall foliage in Asheville, NC

mr2step
442 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 04, 2012 09:47 |  #1

Hi all. Just thought I would post a quick question as to if anyone on this forum who live in the Asheville area know of any good hikes to get some decent fall foliage shots. I am overwhelmed with choices as there are hundreds of hikes but I am only going to be in the area for a few days on vacation end of October and am trying to get insight from people who've been. I am looking to grab some good fall color shots in the woods and also some moving water shots. There are numerous water falls I have found but looking for some suggestions on anyone who has been or knows. Thanks so much!

Do what you love, and you will never work a day in your life.
www.Brettmissick.com (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/brettmissickphotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links
V4her
484 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 04, 2012 10:22 |  #2

Looking Glass Falls on 276, but parking is at a premium on weekends.
Craggy Gardens and the Arboretum are also worth a look.

Canine Sports and Pet Photography:
Flash of Paw (external link)

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,671 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 04, 2012 11:47 |  #3

I would personally drive the Blue Ridge parkway until you find a shot that is interesting. Lots of pull outs for safety.

You could head south to the Lake Lure area from Asheville (take the back road not the highway) and there are some roadside rapids. There is a state park there (can't remember the name) that was one of the filming locations for "Last of the Mohicans". If you've seen the movie, it's the last waterfall they show and can be walked to (long walk).

While you're up there, head west out of Asheville and drive up to Cataloochee Valley and see the elk. There are several areas up there that will fit what you are looking for. Just be careful when hiking of rutting elk - they can be very moody.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,211 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 05, 2012 06:20 as a reply to  @ huntersdad's post |  #4

Be careful when driving the parkway - research colors first. Graveyard Fields*, for example, is presently being reported at peak (10/5) and will be past peak soon. Elevation of the Parkway vary, but generally speaking, the Pisgah Forest sections (near Asheville) have a tendency to be high. The highest point of the 469-mile parkway is there. So to prevent wasting time shooting past-peak or even bare trees, research.

Here is a link:
http://www.virtualblue​ridge.com/ (external link)

Fall color report links on the main page, but caution - in years past I have found them to be a week (or more) behind. Don't know if they are this year.

* - Graveyard Fields is one of the most-popular fall color destinations on the parkway. Good hikes can be found in it, plus about a mile up the road (S on the parkway) at Black Balsam. Hope that helps.

Website (external link) |

mr2step
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 05, 2012 10:55 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #5

Awesome! This helps a lot. Yes I was aware that the colors change depending on elevation with highest starting first and have been keeping an eye on the foliage reports. They are saying this 2012 fall should be good but then again maybe they say that every year?
I stumbled past a read about the NC Arboretum and actually it looked really cool and close to town. Possibly good colors being lower elevation the 3rd week of october? It also looked to be fairly large. I was thinking of some 5 acre park with cultured flowers but this sounds like a large swath of property and I will be there during the week so crowds should be a minimum.
How are the Triple Falls in the Dupont State Forest? They look pretty amazing but not sure how the actual foliage is over there. Sounds like parts of the movie "Hunger Games" was filmed here. Hickory Nut Gorge sounds nice but it might be too touristy for me and my wife since that was the "Last of The Mohicans" movie site. I just saw it again this week and amazing scenery.
How about shoot worthy things within Asheville city limits itself? I hear the architecture is pretty amazing. Any parks or sights I should look for? Thanks for the help everyone!

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 07, 2012 11:42 |  #6

If I was in Asheville I wouldn't miss the Biltmore

http://www.biltmore.co​m/ (external link)

Kevin

Gear List

Dustin ­ Mustangs
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 07, 2012 12:13 |  #7

I was going to say the Biltmore (external link) too. Not only is the house an awesome subject, but the effort put into the surrounding gardens was unprecedented at the time let alone now. Never been there in the fall but I am sure it would be worth a look.

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,671 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 07, 2012 13:14 |  #8

Biltmore is nice but expensive just to get through the gate.

GO SEE THE ELK IN CATALOOCHEE!! You're from Florida and don't have them. Easy to find but will test your pucker factor getting up to them (safe drive, just a little nerve racking).

Hickory Nut won't be as busy during that time of the year as it would during the summer. Get some apple jelly from one of the local roadside vendors.

Truth be told, I don't think Asheville is a very pretty city. It's when you venture outside that the awesome factor steps in.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

sjones
Goldmember
2,232 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 07, 2012 15:25 as a reply to  @ huntersdad's post |  #9

Actually, downtown Asheville has a number of great restaurants, breweries, art galleries, and other sites. Architecturally, there are some wonderful art deco structures. The folks are also an interesting mix, so I wouldn't be quick to dismiss it as a nice retreat after hiking through the mountains.

July 2018-July 2019 (external link)
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

mr2step
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 07, 2012 18:45 as a reply to  @ sjones's post |  #10

Yes Biltmore is Definately on the to-do list for sure! As is my wife's desire to eat and drink well which should be covered. My goal is to seek some nice foliage sights as well as practice some long exposure water motion images which I don't have much of here in Central Florida. I look forward to seeing the sights and people in Asheville proper as well as hiking the hills and trails surrounding the town!

sponsored links

3,089 views & 0 likes for this thread
ISO: Hiking/shooting sights for fall foliage in Asheville, NC
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.