Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
locky
Goldmember
2,663 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 07, 2012 12:34 |  #9451
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks guys. Funny thing was about the facial hair is as soon as he got home he shaved it off. I was thinking "what the heck". The redness of the skin tones is something I need to address on my monitor. Every since I got this new laptop my pictures seem to have a reddish skin tone to them.

I just got my first pair of glasses that I didn't think I needed. I apologize to anybody in the past year that I said their pictures were out of focus lol.

sponsored links
CRFTony
41 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 07, 2012 13:25 as a reply to  @ locky's post |  #9452

One of my recent seniors wants a specific backdrop for her yearbook headshot. She showed me a pic of it in her yearbook and I think it looks like a Denny's style backdrop but I can't locate it on their site. Does anyone recognize it?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Tony Urban Photography
http://TonyUrbanPhotog​raphy.com (external link)

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 07, 2012 13:32 |  #9453

It's from intuition backgrounds. Subway. http://intuitionbackgr​ounds.com …---photography-backdrops/ (external link)

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,702 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 07, 2012 13:57 |  #9454

sevillafox wrote in post #15090968 (external link)
It's from intuition backgrounds. Subway. http://intuitionbackgr​ounds.com …---photography-backdrops/ (external link)

Tiff, not only was your response not in the form of a question, you didn't even buzz in. No points for you. ;)

Shane
flickr (external link)

Grumpy_one
611 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 07, 2012 15:05 |  #9455

umphotography wrote in post #15078888 (external link)
OK.. Here is the down and dirty trick to get perfect exposures

Equipment:

1.Strobe that will get you to F/16.. I use an AB1600
2. Triggers.. I use pocket wizards
3. Beauty dish- I suse Paul Buff 22" white dish
4. modifier for the dish.. I use a #30 grid or a sock for full length shots
5. Light meter-- but you can chimp with an current accurate camera

A. Put your camera in TV mode. Aim into the area behind your subject and get a meter reading... in the photo i just posted it was F/4.0 @ 1/200... but i had a 4x ND filter and a circular polarizer stacked and the sky was at F/13 @ 1/125.

B. Return your camera to Manual mode and set it to what the camera meter said in TV mode.

c. set you light output for the highest ambient light reading.. this is where the light meter comes in handy but you can chimp and raise the output of the strobe to match your ambient

D.. your done.. take the shot

The camera meter is very accurate but it can be fooled, but not very often, especially on the newer cameras. The 5D3, 1DMK111,1DMKIV and the 1Dx are deadly accurate so i cheat with the TV trick, especially when your on the move at wedding and o location with seniors

I prefer the beauty dish because the fall off of light from the subject is awesome for outside work.

Care to give some detail on the easiest way this is done? Thanks

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 07, 2012 15:08 |  #9456

Nice.
Outdoor ones are great.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 07, 2012 15:57 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #9457

JakAHearts wrote in post #15091031 (external link)
Tiff, not only was your response not in the form of a question, you didn't even buzz in. No points for you. ;)

bite me. :p

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

locky
Goldmember
2,663 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 07, 2012 17:19 |  #9458
bannedPermanent ban

Does this one look better? I did some small adjustments with the WB and decided not to do any skin smoothing to it. What would you do different?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i529.photobucke​t.com …/dd337/dtrudell​/j12rd.png (external link)

I just got my first pair of glasses that I didn't think I needed. I apologize to anybody in the past year that I said their pictures were out of focus lol.

MizzouMan_2000
Goldmember
1,651 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 07, 2012 19:15 |  #9459

JakAHearts wrote in post #15091031 (external link)

Bwahaha!

sevillafox wrote in post #15091457 (external link)
bite me. :p

Ooooh sassy! :-)

http://cisp.zenfolio.c​om (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,917 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 07, 2012 19:22 |  #9460

Grumpy_one wrote in post #15091267 (external link)
Care to give some detail on the easiest way this is done? Thanks

KInd of self explanatory. Your using your cameras light meter to get the exposure, TV mode lets you set the shutter speed to what your gate speed is for a flash. I choose 1/160 because its safe. Shooting into the area with TV mode at 1/160, the camera will set an exposure and give you the correct aperture reading,,, switch it over to manual to that setting

The ND filter will bring down the ambient on your subject and the sky or area that you shoot at, That ambient reading is what your light output should be thats hitting the subject. you can chimp and if the light looks a bit hot,,and it might, slightly adjust light output to get a look that you like-- works everytime

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

max3k
780 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 07, 2012 19:33 |  #9461

locky wrote in post #15091686 (external link)
Does this one look better? I did some small adjustments with the WB and decided not to do any skin smoothing to it. What would you do different?
QUOTED IMAGE

The expression isn't pleasing. Do you have others?

5D Mark II, 70-200L f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 and some other stuff
Facebook Page (external link)
http://www.RyanJonesPh​oto.com (external link)
My Photo Blog (external link)

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 07, 2012 22:31 |  #9462

locky wrote in post #15091686 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Picture still looks to have a magenta cast, at least on my laptop monitor.

Good call on not smoothing the skin. I never smooth males. However, I do patch out blemishes like acne and small freckles via frequency separation. It allows you to do some minor retouching on men without getting the smooth skin look. Like, I'd get that spot on his forehead and to his right of his nose.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

locky
Goldmember
2,663 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 08, 2012 05:50 |  #9463
bannedPermanent ban

Well I do believe I found one of my problems why my colors on my pictures have been off. My picture style setting was all messed up on my camera for some reason. I have been letting my Daughter use my camera for school events and I believe she might be the culprit. I have a couple more Senior sessions this week and will post more. Thanks!!

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 08, 2012 09:02 |  #9464

locky wrote in post #15093447 (external link)
Well I do believe I found one of my problems why my colors on my pictures have been off. My picture style setting was all messed up on my camera for some reason. I have been letting my Daughter use my camera for school events and I believe she might be the culprit. I have a couple more Senior sessions this week and will post more. Thanks!!

Why worry about picture styles?....lol (from a RAW shooter)

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,917 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 08, 2012 09:50 |  #9465

jmalonear wrote in post #15093892 (external link)
Why worry about picture styles?....lol (from a RAW shooter)

Yeah i agree,, shoot raw everyone

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,739,009 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.