Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 01 Oct 2012 (Monday) 00:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Very new to Astro Photography. Need an app for Milky Way location.

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 01, 2012 00:57 |  #1

Up to this point all I've done are star trails, but I've been admiring the Milky Way shots in the posts on this forum for a long time.

I'm going on a trip to Sequoia Nat'l park in October.. and would like to try getting a few decent shots of the Milky Way if mother nature is willing to cooperate.

I've read up on Deep Sky Stacker, and I think I understand what I need to shoot...

I'd like to know where/when the stripe of the milky way will be in the sky for the latitude I am in, but I'm having a difficult time finding an application that can tell me about the Milky Way in general and not specific galaxies.

Ideally an offline app I can run on my laptop. Sadly I have a Blackberry and not an iPhone or Droid.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

sponsored links
Stealthdude
34 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 01, 2012 03:46 |  #2

Stellarium (external link)

Canon 600D, sigma 10-20mm F3.5, canon 50mm F1.4, tamron 18-270, canon 100-400L, celestron cg-5 goto.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 01, 2012 06:23 |  #3

Go to a site with dark skies and you'll not need an app as the Milky Way should be obvious. If you can't see it with the naked eye after a few minutes dark adaptation then you're probably not going to get a decent image of it.

Having said that, an app like Stellarium is good for letting you know the best times for shooting the Milky Way.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Tdragone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 01, 2012 08:41 |  #4

Aaaah. Stellarium! Thank you. I couldn't remember the name of the app I had read about in the past. Thanks both. Frank, I know of the milky way.. but I don't know what direction/time it will be up since I'll be in an unfamiliar area, scouting locations during my first day there...

I appreciate the help!
-TD

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

WolfAmongSheep
788 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 08, 2012 17:18 |  #5

being you are in my neck of the woods. drive out to Anza, CA. take the 79 over Temecula. It might be a drive but once you are out there it is well worth it.

Nikon

Tdragone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 08, 2012 18:28 |  #6

Thanks Wolf...
I'm almost the same distance from Anza (Which I didn't know was a town until you mentioned it) as I am from the Anza Borrego state park area... I live n East County.
Another thing I've been wanting to do (Except that it's been freaking HOT!) is to shoot some of the Iron sculptures at dusk/nighttime, and try stacking exposures of both the background (Hopefully the milky way) and the foreground focal points lit via 580 flash or flashlight (Maybe with a colored gel?).

I started out being fascinated by star trails; but now that I've seen the DSS results of the Milky Way in an area that has less than ideal night skies (light pollution) I'd like to broaden my horizons by trying a new form of night photography.

A few years ago, a friend linked me to an image like this (Easter Island.. Another bucket list place) that got me thinking... http://harvestheart.tu​mblr.com/post/61799730​6 (external link)

I'd like to make a shot like this
http://www.123rf.com …-the-anza-borrego-de.html (external link)
with this serpent as the foreground focal point
http://www.sccxterra.c​om/smf/index.php?topic​=1110.0 (external link)

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

mikeCL
225 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 12, 2012 22:33 |  #7

Tdragone wrote in post #15064468 (external link)
Aaaah. Stellarium! Thank you. I couldn't remember the name of the app I had read about in the past. Thanks both. Frank, I know of the milky way.. but I don't know what direction/time it will be up since I'll be in an unfamiliar area, scouting locations during my first day there...

I appreciate the help!
-TD

holy crap I forgot about this program too, it was preinstalled on one of my linux distros, it's pretty good, that being said in a pinch if you have a android phone google sky can work.

calypsob
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 13, 2012 02:52 |  #8

You know until I started paying closer attention to astronomy I never realized that the milky way is hanging over my head for the majority of the year, a small star chart will show you were the stars are month by month and by day. Have fun

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

mikeCL
225 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 13, 2012 09:55 |  #9

calypsob wrote in post #15239624 (external link)
You know until I started paying closer attention to astronomy I never realized that the milky way is hanging over my head for the majority of the year, a small star chart will show you were the stars are month by month and by day. Have fun

I'm going to have to find one of these!

sponsored links

4,302 views & 0 likes for this thread
Very new to Astro Photography. Need an app for Milky Way location.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.