Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 15:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DPP 3.11.31.0 crashing

Pixels
454 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 02, 2012 15:24 |  #1

When I try to access some folders, DPP crashes immediately. There are a few TIF files in each folder, which view perfectly in Windows 7 (64 bit) Explorer,
but as soon as I try to open them in DPP the display goes grey, and the prog has to be ended. Other files in other folders run perfectly in DPP. I have scanned for virus, but results show all clear.
I wonder if anyone else has experienced a similar problem?

Canon 24-105 L IS USM,
Canon 400mm L f5.6
Canon 7D, Canon 1.4 TCII
Canon 10-22, Canon 420EX speedlite,

Olympus OMD EM5, 20-40 f2.8 PRO

sponsored links
morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 02, 2012 15:33 |  #2

There is a similar discussion about DPP not showing some pictures in another thread. It turns out that the folder name contains non standard alphanumeric characters. Could that be the problem?

Pixels
THREAD ­ STARTER
454 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 02, 2012 16:25 as a reply to  @ morph2_7's post |  #3

Thanks morph 2_7 for your reply.
I tried renaming the folder but no joy. I moved the contents, 3 small tif files, to another folder, and now that folder crashes DPP - so the problem is with the files it seems (?). I saved the 3 files as jpg, removed the tifs, and the problem has gone.
The message that displays with the crash is "DPP viewer module has stopped working"
Quite a nuisance - I would love to know what is the root cause of the problem.

Canon 24-105 L IS USM,
Canon 400mm L f5.6
Canon 7D, Canon 1.4 TCII

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,468 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 02, 2012 17:50 |  #4

Pixels wrote in post #15071050 (external link)
When I try to access some folders, DPP crashes immediately. There are a few TIF files in each folder, which view perfectly in Windows 7 (64 bit) Explorer,
but as soon as I try to open them in DPP the display goes grey, and the prog has to be ended. Other files in other folders run perfectly in DPP. I have scanned for virus, but results show all clear.
I wonder if anyone else has experienced a similar problem?

Been there, done that - for the last eight years. DPP is extremely intolerant of any file that deviates from what it considers perfect form. A missing or incorrect header, non-standard code, a dozen little things can cause it to crash.

Elie / אלי

yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 03, 2012 06:28 |  #5

The behaviour of DPP with external (not generated by DPP itself) tif files is random.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it just displays a thumbnail with a cross and sometimes it crashes.
So avoid viewing external tif files with DPP.

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channel (external link)
New Version DPP++ 11.3 released (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 06, 2012 20:48 |  #6

Late to the party, but this is common behavior with DPP. So, if you use DPP with Raw files and then open them in, say, Photoshop, you should save tiff "project files" into another directory. A sub-directory will work, since DPP doesn't go into subdirectories and so won't "battle" with tiffs in one.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Pixels
THREAD ­ STARTER
454 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 07, 2012 04:02 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #7

Thanks yb98 and tonylong for your suggestions. I have used DPP for several years now and had no problems until lately. It look as if the latest DPP version is more prone to crash with some tif files, although it seems to work ok with most.

Canon 24-105 L IS USM,
Canon 400mm L f5.6
Canon 7D, Canon 1.4 TCII

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 07, 2012 04:29 |  #8

DPP crashes for some TIFFs for me that were generated with certain recent versions (but not all versions) DxO Optics Pro. Unfortunately the latest version does it too. It seems to be related to the larger embedded thumbnails. Hopefully Canon will fix DPP. I work around it by putting the TIFFs into their own subfolder.

Photo Gear

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 08, 2012 21:32 as a reply to  @ macroimage's post |  #9

In Feb 2011 I posted this:
I used to use Gimp and I found that if I flattened the layers when I saved a tif file in Gimp it worked just fine in DPP. But if I merged the layers, DPP wouldn't even open them.

Don't know if this relates to your problem or not.

Pixels
THREAD ­ STARTER
454 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 09, 2012 04:07 |  #10

ncjohn wrote in post #15096816 (external link)
In Feb 2011 I posted this:
I used to use Gimp and I found that if I flattened the layers when I saved a tif file in Gimp it worked just fine in DPP. But if I merged the layers, DPP wouldn't even open them.

Don't know if this relates to your problem or not.

Thanks ncjohn for your reply.
In my case all the tiff files (8 bit) were generated by DPP itself from raw - and the only other processing on some of the tiffs was some basic editing in PS Elements, nothing to do with layers.
Hopefully future releases of DPP will solve this problem.

Canon 24-105 L IS USM,
Canon 400mm L f5.6
Canon 7D, Canon 1.4 TCII

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,618 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 09, 2012 08:01 |  #11

Just performed this test.

In DPP 3.11.31 I opened a folder containing CR2 files only. Selected one of them and converted and saved it to 8-bit TIF, to the same folder. The new TIF file dutifully showed up in the preview. Closed DPP and restarted it. The TIF file was there again, DPP working fine, the TIF fully able to be opened and edited.

Windows XP, SP3.

Pixels
THREAD ­ STARTER
454 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 09, 2012 08:20 |  #12

agedbriar wrote in post #15098157 (external link)
Just performed this test.

In DPP 3.11.31 I opened a folder containing CR2 files only. Selected one of them and converted and saved it to 8-bit TIF, to the same folder. The new TIF file dutifully showed up in the preview. Closed DPP and restarted it. The TIF file was there again, DPP working fine, the TIF fully able to be opened and edited.

Windows XP, SP3.

99% of my tiff files work perfectly in DPP - it's the 1% that cause the problems, causing the complete folder they are stored in to crash out. So when this happens I will now remove the tiffs from the problem folder to a sub folder.

Canon 24-105 L IS USM,
Canon 400mm L f5.6
Canon 7D, Canon 1.4 TCII

alexcomp
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 13, 2013 12:51 as a reply to  @ Pixels's post |  #13

I upgraded DPP and somewhere along the line, the folder that digital photo professional opens was set to the desk top. Apparently DPP breaks easily if there are files in its opening folder that make it uncomfortable. Obviously there are many types of files on the desktop to include shortcuts and URLs but the real problem was probably a corrupted JPG file.

It does not seem that this should get reset but I did notice that there is a folder setting that specifies open the last displayed folder. I surmise that the desktop folder was opened and from that point in time onwards, the program will open and break, open and break.

Previous comments in this thread got me on the track when people mentioned that DPP would break if there was a file that made it unhappy. From there it was simple.

Step one – open the folder that the program is sitting on when it breaks, (desktop in my case).

Step two – Select all image files, cut them and move to another folder. I just created a folder called "pics from desktop" and left it right on the desktop. The program only looks at files that are in the root of the folder.

Step three – I created a new folder called "camera uploads" and placed it in the desktop folder

step four – the program will now open as it does not run across any problem files. I open the program, then went to tools/preferences, then set my startup folder to "specified folder" and set it to the new folder that I created, "camera uploads".

This absolutely solved my problem and I would not be surprised but what this may often be the problem for other people who have experienced this difficulty. Be sure to set your specified folder as I did and keep it clean – you will probably not have a problem.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 13, 2013 14:52 |  #14

I'm glad you found a solution! Yeah, DPP does not handle "non-conforming" files well!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

alexcomp
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 13, 2013 16:14 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #15

The diabolical thing is that the files on my desktop all open just fine in my photo viewing program. The other screwy thing is that after the program breaks, it defaults back to "Desktop" as the target folder and stays there changing the startup folder back from specified to last displayed. This is a poorly implemented program unfortunately.

Attaching a file that opens properly with other programs but crashes DPP every time.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

4,079 views & 0 likes for this thread
DPP 3.11.31.0 crashing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.