Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 24 Sep 2012 (Monday) 21:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question for you 5D2 --> 5D3 users

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,598 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 27, 2012 11:44 as a reply to  @ post 15049836 |  #31

I was at West photo in Minneapolis yesterday. Baught a C stand and he let me fiddle with a 1Dx yesterday. Purposely shot into into some shadows and I underexposed by 2/3 at 12800 ISO

----------warning----------

DO NOT TOUCH A 1DX

you will want one and they cost $7000.00

But -2/3 at 12800 ISO was cleaner than my 5D3 at 6400 ISO---unfricken believable. The camera feels like an MKIV in your hands, ergos are awesome, menu lay out is nice, speed is insane, and the AF system looks very impressive and looks like a bit or reading on how to set it up. There is stuff on it thats not on the 5D3 that i noticed as I thumbed through the set ups and options........Looks to be crazy good. I also talked to the guy that returned it from the weekend rental......his response was best camera he has ever used and said he was probably done with One shot after using servo on it.....zero misses for his project.

probably worth an upgrade from a 5D3 if you have the $$$ to spare

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 27, 2012 12:49 |  #32

umphotography wrote in post #15050072 (external link)
But -2/3 at 12800 ISO was cleaner than my 5D3 at 6400 ISO---unfricken believable. The camera feels like an MKIV in your hands, ergos are awesome, menu lay out is nice, speed is insane, and the AF system looks very impressive and looks like a bit or reading on how to set it up. There is stuff on it thats not on the 5D3 that i noticed as I thumbed through the set ups and options........Looks to be crazy good. I also talked to the guy that returned it from the weekend rental......his response was best camera he has ever used and said he was probably done with One shot after using servo on it.....zero misses for his project.

probably worth an upgrade from a 5D3 if you have the $$$ to spare

Is your assessment based on looking at the photo on the LCD screen? I have no doubt that the 1DX ups the ante in terms of high ISO noise handling. Has there been any official comparisons between the 2 camera as far as actual stop(s) of difference?

I guess the real question is, how does the AF perform in typical low light wedding scenarios.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,598 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 27, 2012 13:56 |  #33

nicksan wrote in post #15050297 (external link)
Is your assessment based on looking at the photo on the LCD screen? I have no doubt that the 1DX ups the ante in terms of high ISO noise handling. Has there been any official comparisons between the 2 camera as far as actual stop(s) of difference?

I guess the real question is, how does the AF perform in typical low light wedding scenarios.

Nick

Im gonna rent it when i come up on the list. Gonna call tomorrow and get on it. Ive talked to 2 people that have it for weddings. Facial recognition and spot to AF point are huge and they say it just does not miss. And they are shooting 8000-10000 on dance floors at receptions,,12800 is no problem. Like anything else, those that have popped for 7K are gonna swear its better those that dont have it are going to wonder. Have not seen anything here on POTN yet about this. Big country has one and im sure he will get stuff out soon about AF performance in low light. The note i got he said is was better.. but hes buried with weddings.The people that i talk to that have it say is much better......who the heck knows right now

EDIT-- yes LCD screen's side by side..Its definately better and i pulled it in as far as it would go to look on both lcd's-- not scientific by any means.. but its pretty obvious.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 27, 2012 16:54 |  #34

Mike, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.

The great thing is that the 5D3 is an awesome camera at a "cheaper" price point. If you want the absolute best, apparently the 1DX improves on the 5D3 enough that the added cost would be worth it.

Personally I don't see myself getting one. I might feel differently had the 5D3 not been so good. But honestly, it's good enough for weddings. Would I love to have an extra stop at higher ISO? Absolutely. Gotta be honest though, I find myself shooting at higher ISO less and less as I get better at lighting.

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 30, 2012 21:24 |  #35

nicksan wrote in post #15051234 (external link)
Mike, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.

I find myself shooting at higher ISO less and less as I get better at lighting.

Very true, I usually peak out around 1600 and only to 3200 in some rare cases. I bring my light. That said, I'd like a MKIII.

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,485 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 05, 2012 20:12 |  #36

nicksan wrote in post #15038354 (external link)
I used to shoot with the 5D2 and there's just no comparison when it comes to the AF system. The 5D3 beats the crap out of the 5D2 in that department. End of story.

A few weeks I just dropped a pile of cash on a new 5D3 and lenses and I'm not a pro but I feel much better. So far I have just enjoyed using the new body. Can hardly wait to go live.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Naturography
992 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 08, 2012 16:44 |  #37

browsing the sample pics threads of the two, the pictures really pop in the 5d3's. I'm lusting for one to replace my 5d2 soon hahhh....

Phuong
Gear List / Feedbacks

J.Darius
71 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 08, 2012 21:59 |  #38

5dm2-->5dm3 user too.

When I used m2, all my pics will have this purplish foggy effect or gausian blur, and never even once I have the crazy razor sharp like those were shots by my friends nikon camera...I keep telling myself it is my skill not good enough.

After getting the m3, I do really miss those purplish effect when taken, mark3 is just that good and darn sharp :D

I know that the 1dx is better in the iso department, but in low iso, the mark3 will be better due to the extra 4mp, but when the user start playing with the high iso, the 1dx will retain more info compared to mark3.

So if I don't own any camera and thinking to upgrade to either mark3 or 6d, I would still go for mark3.

Reason?

~The cost difference is not that much different, comparing both 6d to m3 then m3 to 1dx, just save a little bit more.
~Dual memory card for safety reason.
~More auto focus point, means I can shoot wide open with less focus recompose method.

But If I have the fortune to get the 1dx, I don't mind pairing it with my current mark3, but that will some day and hope sooner :p

Canon 5DMK III +BG-E11
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L +70-200mm f/2.8 L IS MKII + Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 MKII L
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG
1x PW TT1 + 2x PW TT5
2 x Canon 600EX-RT + ST-E3 RT

boingy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 08, 2012 22:02 |  #39

Do you guys feel that the cross type outer focus points are just as or any less accurate than the center focus point on the 5D3?

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

J.Darius
71 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 08, 2012 22:09 |  #40

@boingy - I've never use the center of my m3 since I bought it :D the outer crossed focus point are just that darn good.

Canon 5DMK III +BG-E11
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L +70-200mm f/2.8 L IS MKII + Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 MKII L
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG
1x PW TT1 + 2x PW TT5
2 x Canon 600EX-RT + ST-E3 RT

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 08, 2012 22:24 |  #41

boingy wrote in post #15096950 (external link)
Do you guys feel that the cross type outer focus points are just as or any less accurate than the center focus point on the 5D3?

Depends on the lens. On my 50L, I only use the center cluster crosses. I stay away from the outer cluster. I think though, generally speaking, the outer cluster is definitely not as accurate as the center cluster. That's not to say they aren't good enough, because they are. For example, I wouldn't hesitate to use the outer clustered with my 70-200 f2.8 IS MKII. I've encountered the same thing with Nikon cameras. (D700, D3, and D3s).

Also, I should mention I shot weddings fine with my 5D2. No weird color cast and the images were nice and sharp. The 5D3 gives me a MUCH better AF system which helps me be even more consistent.

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 08, 2012 22:27 |  #42

Well, I have 2 MkII and I love the cameras, I get some really sharp looking images, and only pay 1900 each :), someday I will upgrade to the mk3, maybe when they go down to 1900 lol

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 08, 2012 22:33 |  #43

sgtbueno wrote in post #15097059 (external link)
Well, I have 2 MkII and I love the cameras, I get some really sharp looking images, and only pay 1900 each :), someday I will upgrade to the mk3, maybe when they go down to 1900 lol

Yeah, there's no reason not to be able to get great shots with MKIIs. The MKIII's are awesome, but like you said, you can get MKIIs at a great price now.

dawssvt
406 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 08, 2012 22:49 |  #44

Tigerkn wrote in post #15049836 (external link)
This thread is no-good for my wallet :)

Totally agree!:(

St. Louis, MO Portrait and Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

6,248 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question for you 5D2 --> 5D3 users
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.