Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 23:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2 weeks in Turkey

onurrus
637 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 19, 2012 14:33 |  #16

Hi There,

I am Turkish and living in Istanbul. Its completely safe to carry your gear with you as some other people said its no more or less dangerous than any place in Europe.

Istanbul is a gem.Enjoy it! :)

sponsored links
Mr.D34DLY
62 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 19, 2012 15:25 |  #17

Hello
I'm living in Istanbul.
Istanbul is Turkey's most reliable province.

Equipment suggestion.
body
Wide angle lens + Fisheye
L-Series Zoom Lens
Fixed aperture portrait lens
macro lens
backup battery

Vi Veri Veniversun Vinus Vici
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EOS 5D | Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II | Canon EF 17-40 f/4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM II Macro | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 | Yashica DSB 135mm F/2.8 | Opteka 6.5mm Fisheye F/3.5 | Youngnuo YN560 | Emoblitz DRF14 Digital TTL | Canon FD 50mm 1.8

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 19, 2012 16:13 |  #18

Most likely you will not need a telephoto, even though if you take it with you, you will use it. It is the wide end that will be used most often. In places like Ephesus, Pergamon, Troy - it will be either normal zoom or a wide angle. There are just a couple of places that you want to shoot with a telephoto off a Bosphorus cruise boat - a mosque under the bridge, and the palace of the last Ottoman sultan. The first can be done from the shore, and the other - well, it does look nice off the water... In old Istanbul you will see very narrow streets and big places, like the Blue Mosque. Again, a wide angle will be more important. And of course, when you travel, the weight of the equipment becomes really important. Yes, you can shoot everything with the S95, but it would be a pity not to use your good photo stuff.

Turkey, even Istanbul, is very safe. In a cafe in some small town they told me that a few years before I was there a thief tried to steel something at the local bazaar. The poor guy was stoned. In Istanbul they have Tourist Police, whose job is to protect the tourists. The government knows that tourism is about 20 percent of the Turkish economy.

Enjoy your vacation. Turkey, with its unbelievable historic places, is a photographers paradise.

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 19, 2012 20:58 |  #19

Gotta love this thread.. With some of the usernames as well- contributing gems...

Mr Deadly ( D34DLY ) contributes that he lives in Istanbul and that it is perfectly safe.. I wonder if Mr Th!3f will chime in and elaborate on the better parts of town to be sure to visit.

Just kidding, guys.. To the OP, enjoy your vacation.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 19, 2012 22:13 |  #20

Lbsimon wrote in post #15015509 (external link)
Turkey, even Istanbul, is very safe. In a cafe in some small town they told me that a few years before I was there a thief tried to steel something at the local bazaar. The poor guy was stoned. In Istanbul they have Tourist Police, whose job is to protect the tourists. The government knows that tourism is about 20 percent of the Turkish economy.

When I was younger, I played soccer in Istanbul for a couple of seasons. I have personally witnessed two Gendarmes (Military Police) beat the crap out of a couple of locals, while a third watched over their rifles- because they were harassing some female German tourists.

There is no safer place for a tourist! The local people are some of the friendliest you will ever meet. Istanbul is rich with culture, history, and geography. The food from the street vendors is better than anything you find in a 5* restaurant in North America, too.

Again, take everything you can comfortably carry- you will regret not having your gear if you don't bring it.

Greenjacket6202
203 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 20, 2012 05:49 |  #21

vspector wrote in post #15013765 (external link)
Why in the world would you want to go to Turkey right now? Turkey has been very negative towards Westerners and Israel, and in the last few weeks that part of the world is ABSOLUTELY UNSAFE to travel... i would be worried about a few other things besides camera equipment..

I feel more unsafe walking the streets of east London! Even though I grew up there!

Turkey is safe! Just use common sense and be street wise!

barrie
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 10, 2012 13:17 |  #22

I am probably way too late and you have been and come back but for anybody else wishing to go to Turkey don't hesitate there are some awesome sites to see. I went with only kit issue 18-55 and 55-250 plastics and have some wonderful shots. yes the tourist police are on the ball. some mobile shoe shine gypsies tried to scam us and within seconds the police were on their case and told them to get lost. never felt uneasy and very friendly people with some great scenery to shoot.

60D, 70-300L is,100-400mm, 50mm 1.4, 15-85mm,18-55mm, 55-250mm,18-55Mkii, 28-135is 100mm 2.8 macro,macro ring light.SLIK pro700dx tripod,SLIK pro pod 600 monopod,SLIK AF1100E ball head and Kenco 1.4 teleconverter and boat loads of inexperience.

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 10, 2012 13:19 |  #23

onurrus wrote in post #15015035 (external link)
Hi There,

I am Turkish and living in Istanbul. Its completely safe to carry your gear with you as some other people said its no more or less dangerous than any place in Europe.

Istanbul is a gem.Enjoy it! :)

I agree!

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

sponsored links

3,582 views & 0 likes for this thread
2 weeks in Turkey
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.