Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 05:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

annoying rear screen info

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,276 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 10, 2012 16:35 as a reply to  @ post 15105148 |  #16

The very best way to learn something is usually to teach somebody else, since then you really need to think about how it works, or you can't teach it. It's also a lot easier to show somebody rather than describe something in writing, but it's not always that you have any choice.

Anders

sponsored links
waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 10, 2012 16:36 |  #17

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15105148 (external link)
Reading manuals or viewing tutorials has always been especially frustrating for me.

The way I learn best, and also easiest, is to have someone show me how to do it. The old fashioned way - in person! Yes, a real live person sitting down with me and doing something, explaining what they are doing every step of the way. Then they let me try to see if I got it or not.

Am I alone, or is this not the best, fastest, and easiest way to learn something? When I learn this way, the lessons 'stick".

Whenever I do go thru the excruciating process of reading a manual, even when I eventually figure something out, I often have little retention.

That's pretty obviously going to be best: a teacher with a 1:1 ratio to students? Kind of expensive.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,935 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Oct 10, 2012 16:37 |  #18

waterrockets wrote in post #15105166 (external link)
That's pretty obviously going to be best: a teacher with a 1:1 ratio to students? Kind of expensive.

Oh, I don't mean a paid tutor, just a buddy or acquaintance that has the same camera.
Friends help each other out with this stuff all the time, don't they?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 10, 2012 16:54 |  #19

Unfortunately, among my friends, somehow I'm the expert!?!

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 10, 2012 17:52 |  #20

Lowner wrote in post #15103955 (external link)
Elie,

Someone had to say it I suppose!

Believe me I do try, but I quickly loose the will to live trying to get anything useful out of Canon manuals.

And spending a week being annoyed with the camera and frustrated because you couldn't fix a simple setting was better?

Elie / אלי

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 10, 2012 17:56 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15105148 (external link)
Reading manuals or viewing tutorials has always been especially frustrating for me.

The way I learn best, and also easiest, is to have someone show me how to do it. The old fashioned way - in person! Yes, a real live person sitting down with me and doing something, explaining what they are doing every step of the way. Then they let me try to see if I got it or not.

Am I alone, or is this not the best, fastest, and easiest way to learn something? When I learn this way, the lessons 'stick".

Whenever I do go thru the excruciating process of reading a manual, even when I eventually figure something out, I often have little retention.

You're not alone, Tom :) I definitely learn better that way, too.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 10, 2012 18:15 |  #22

A user manual is a man's best friend, but why do we feel like we are admitting defeat by having to read it :shock:

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 10, 2012 19:24 |  #23

L.J.G. wrote in post #15105514 (external link)
A user manual is a man's best friend, but why do we feel like we are admitting defeat by having to read it :shock:

No clue. I've spent my life around engineering and computer systems, so reaching for the manual and documentation is just something that feels natural to me. I always find time to skim through them to hit the key notes, but generally I feel it is a failure on the developer's part if I have to keep reaching for the manual for stuff. (Looking up details in docs is different. I can't remember all the parameter options on hundreds of functions across a few dozen libraries.)

And frankly, writing really good manuals is a hard task. I should know, I've co-written several manuals in the last few years. For military weapons systems... Several armed forces kept sending back our proposal and manuals because parts were 'too confusing', such as the power up sequence. Which is written on the units.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 10, 2012 21:35 |  #24

I work in a technical industry, and I have read and written a lot of procedures and I believe in the importance of written procedures and manuals. Because of that I believe that the easiest way to learn is by recieving interpersoal training. Anyone that refuses to read manuals, recieve instructions or resists recieving help is dooming themselves to a hard time learning. The two Canon guides I suggested, are both well written, the printing is larger and easier to read, there are better illustrations, and the information is more in depth. I have read the Canon's manuals, they are good, but not the be all end all of manuals. The field guides go a step further then the canon manual. -rick

Luckless wrote in post #15105747 (external link)
No clue. I've spent my life around engineering and computer systems, so reaching for the manual and documentation is just something that feels natural to me. I always find time to skim through them to hit the key notes, but generally I feel it is a failure on the developer's part if I have to keep reaching for the manual for stuff. (Looking up details in docs is different. I can't remember all the parameter options on hundreds of functions across a few dozen libraries.)

And frankly, writing really good manuals is a hard task. I should know, I've co-written several manuals in the last few years. For military weapons systems... Several armed forces kept sending back our proposal and manuals because parts were 'too confusing', such as the power up sequence. Which is written on the units.

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Shufu
Goldmember
1,284 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 10, 2012 21:46 |  #25

Me: Oh look a button!
Wife: dont do it..
Me: oops
Wife: Should have read the manual..

Saipan, where we proudly put the fun in dysfunctional every chance we get!

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 10, 2012 22:28 |  #26

Shufu wrote in post #15106255 (external link)
Me: Oh look a button!
Wife: dont do it..
Me: oops
Wife: Should have read the manual..

LOL, exactly. And if you install Magic lantern, then is an option under one of the menus that says 'Don't click me'.

I have to use every ounce of willpower not to select it.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Lowner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 11, 2012 03:09 |  #27

apersson850 wrote in post #15105092 (external link)
Canon's manuals are good. Consise, accurate and well organized.

I find them chaotic, very poorly organised. Plus they make assumtions about users understanding, a fault with far too many manuals, which should start and stay with the basics. The writer seems to assume that the user will naturally know how to implement a certain instruction and avoid saying something crucial. I see it all the time here, when "computer experts" are offering advise on how to make a piece of software behave itself.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Lowner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 11, 2012 03:16 |  #28

As an ex RYA Yachtmaster Instructor, I found that its actually the physical doing of a certain "task" after an explanation that cemented it in peoples mind. Thats why they came sailing for 5 days before the examination, so that we had plenty of time to practise.

But I remember after someone has shown me, unlike reading it in the manual when it goes in one ear and out the other if I even manage to find something useful.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Oct 11, 2012 03:22 |  #29

Lowner wrote in post #15107087 (external link)
But I remember after someone has shown me, unlike reading it in the manual when it goes in one ear and out the other if I even manage to find something useful.

You read with your ear? That is some trick :-)

I am the same, I spend ages looking something up in a manual or book and have real issues picking it up, I look at the same process on YouTube and Bob's your uncle.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 11, 2012 09:55 |  #30

Lowner wrote in post #15107076 (external link)
I find them chaotic, very poorly organised. Plus they make assumtions about users understanding, a fault with far too many manuals, which should start and stay with the basics. The writer seems to assume that the user will naturally know how to implement a certain instruction and avoid saying something crucial. I see it all the time here, when "computer experts" are offering advise on how to make a piece of software behave itself.

I think a user's manual should assume that the user has the knowledge to make use of the features, in the interest of brevity. There are whitepapers and field guides to explain the "whys." Tutorials even. I don't want to parse through that nonsense when I'm trying to quickly remind myself what C.Fn IV-3 does.

sponsored links

4,154 views & 0 likes for this thread
annoying rear screen info
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.