Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 29 Sep 2012 (Saturday) 19:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NFL Stadium policy...

russ925
223 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 11, 2012 08:45 |  #16

jsnoah wrote in post #15059078 (external link)
SO I have giants tickets in November and plan on bringing a camera. I just read the Metlife policy on carrying in a camera. Lenses must be less that 6" in length. That cancels out my 70-200 f2.8.... So here is the question. How fast do I really need my lens to be for football? The game is 8:20 vs. the Packers. Can I get away with my 75-300? I am in the 200 level so the view should be good but the reach and light is what may arise as a problem. Hints? Anyway ever smuggled a bigger lens in? If yes how? If not, what shoudl I use and how should I set up? TV I assume with the lens as open as the ISO will make it... Or other? Thanks in way advance!

Giants Stadium (sorry - MetLife Stadium) is tough if your just walking in with the camera. They will give you a hard time.

Do you happen to be going with any females? I usually stick my lens in the bottom of my wife's handbag when going to arena events.

I wish the Giants had the same policy as the Yankees, they let you walk in with any thing you want.

T3 gripped / Tamron 17-50 2.8 / Tamron 70-300 VC / Rokinon 8mm fisheye / Canon 430EXII Flash
www.flickr.com/photos/​russ925/ (external link)

sponsored links
RustyHammer
685 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 12, 2012 08:58 |  #17

Louisiana Superdome (Saints' Games) ....

http://www.mobiinet.co​m …l/louisianasupe​rdome.html (external link)

What you can/cannot carry:
Security measures will be in effect including pat downs and bag checks. Only small ladies' purses, small diaper bags and small camera bags will be admitted. No animals (w/ exception of service dogs), banners (large or in poor taste), bottles, cans, containers of any kind, contraband, laptops, large bags, laser pointers, noisemakers, outside food & drink, oversized packages, projectiles, weapons, audio recording equipment, video cameras, professional cameras with lenses longer than 6", beach balls, backpacks, large sticks/poles or other item(s) determined to be unacceptable by the Louisiana Superdome and the New Orleans Arena permitted. Items not permitted must be removed from the premises or disposed. ...

Camera Policy:
No video or professional lens cameras are allowed.

Gear List

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 12, 2012 13:00 |  #18

I was able to bring in the 70-300 IS to the Superbowl last year. They had a 6" limit as well. Didnt even check it.

Lens worked out well, better than I expected really. I was in the 100 section though so I little closer than you. If you are worried, take the cam with a 50mm on it and if going with a female friend, have them put it in their purse.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

sstimages
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 17, 2012 00:42 |  #19

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I was at a denver bronco's game last month and I had a 70-200 and a 15mm fisheye and had more fun with the fisheye than i did with the 70=200

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 18, 2012 09:39 |  #20

Gatorboy wrote in post #15084981 (external link)
Just leave the camera at home, and enjoy the game.

Some of us enjoy taking pictures at the game. That's why some of us non-professionals follow this forum, right? :rolleyes:

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,942 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Oct 18, 2012 09:43 |  #21

jsnoah wrote in post #15059078 (external link)
SO I have giants tickets in November and plan on bringing a camera. I just read the Metlife policy on carrying in a camera. Lenses must be less that 6" in length. That cancels out my 70-200 f2.8.... So here is the question. How fast do I really need my lens to be for football? The game is 8:20 vs. the Packers. Can I get away with my 75-300? I am in the 200 level so the view should be good but the reach and light is what may arise as a problem. Hints? Anyway ever smuggled a bigger lens in? If yes how? If not, what shoudl I use and how should I set up? TV I assume with the lens as open as the ISO will make it... Or other? Thanks in way advance!

I have been to Giants stadium with a 70-200. Just make sure you do the following:

Attach a small prime lens to your camera and have it in your hands.
Have the 70-200 f/2.8 in your bag pointing down in your bag.

When they review your bag they will give it a glance inside while you hold it open. Just make sure your lens is sitting vertically and point down. They will glance at it and not give it thought because you have your camera outside with the smaller lens.

Walk in and enjoy the game. I see plenty of 70-200 in the stadium.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

jsnoah
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 14, 2013 15:07 |  #22

Update, (a couple months late)... They didn't let me in with the 70-200.... So I just left the camera in the car altogether... They told me I could check the lens... I told them they were f-ing nuts... Ran back to the car, wrapped in a blanket and watched the game sans camera....

7D Mark II:lol:;7D:lol:; 30D:D ; G10:cool:; 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS; 16-35 f/2.8:lol:; 70-200 2.8 IS :lol:; 24-70 2.8:); 50mm f/1.8 mkII :cool:; 85mm f/1.8;); Canon 1.4x ;); 420 EX Speedlite:neutral:

enice128
43 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2013 17:24 |  #23

jsnoah wrote in post #15488028 (external link)
Update, (a couple months late)... They didn't let me in with the 70-200.... So I just left the camera in the car altogether... They told me I could check the lens... I told them they were f-ing nuts... Ran back to the car, wrapped in a blanket and watched the game sans camera....

That sucks! I have tix to the NY Ranger home opener tomorrow (Sunday) night. I called up MSG & they told me NO professional equipment allowed! The funny thing is i've gotten into this same arena with my old setup (xsi & kit 55-250 zoom). I read some forums today saying its hit or miss & depends on the security guard checking you into the arena. However i cannot afford to take a chance being turned away since i am NOT leaving my 1D Mark IV & 70-200 2.8 II in the car whether on the street nor in a parking garage! I've been waiting for NHL hockey for some time now. I actually sent an email to the head of who's in charge pleading if i can brig my gear in & NOT asking for a press pass since i already have a paid ticket! You already know the answer......bastards!!​!!! His reply back to me was not unless i work for a publication......at least i can enjoy the game now without worrying even thouhg i have ice level seats, center ice :(

Canon 1D MK IV / Canon 50L 1.2 / Canon 16-35L 2.8 II / Canon 70-200L 2.8 II / Canon 1.4x ii extender / Canon 580exii Speedlite emcphotographyblog.shu​tterfly.com

pendtech
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 10, 2013 13:25 |  #24

IQ Zero wrote in post #15059120 (external link)
Well I would give your 70-200 a try just leave yourself enough time to take it back to the car and bring an extra lens. I've gotten in all kinds of stuff but it's luck of the draw. That is to say how lax the person is checking out your stuff.

Have it in your bag as two pieces (lens & body). If they say something while your using it at your seat tell them you'll put it away & your sorry. Most of the time they are looking for drunks and fighters.

BTW my experiences have been on the west coast if that makes a difference

Agree with this. Buy yourself some time. At our stadium we have the same policy but I see people with 70-200s all the time and even the occasion 300 f2.8 (crazy!).

Go Gators!
Proud Canon 5D Mark II User!
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link)

coeng
980 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Jun 12, 2013 08:18 |  #25

jsnoah wrote in post #15488028 (external link)

That sucks. I was thinking about bringing my 70-200L to Monster Jam at Metlife this weekend. What did they tell you? Did you carry the 70-200L in a separate case while having a smaller lens attached to the body?

Other than my 70-200L, I have my 24-70L and 50mm f1.4 so I don't even know if its worth the chance you have to take by possibly having to risk leaving thousands of dollars of equipment in your car.

We're in Sec 239 Row 2 which is right smack on the 50 yard line. When I bought the tickets I figured it would be better to be elevated in a higher section with seats close to the front of the section rather than being very far back in a lower section.

5D2, 600 EX-RT, STE-3, 24-70L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8

treebound
547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 13, 2013 18:06 |  #26

I just read about some new NFL policies that restrict carry-ins and camera bags.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jun 13, 2013 18:13 |  #27

treebound wrote in post #16028661 (external link)
I just read about some new NFL policies that restrict carry-ins and camera bags.

Do you have a link or are we supposed to guess what the new polices are?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 13, 2013 21:19 |  #28

I just checked... my 70-300L is 5.6" long when in the retracted position. I would just keep the lock on if they inspected it.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Lnmeares
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 13, 2013 21:23 |  #29

krb wrote in post #16028675 (external link)
Do you have a link or are we supposed to guess what the new polices are?

New policy is here: http://www.nfl.com/all​clear (external link)

Instagram (external link) | 500px (external link) | Flickr (external link)

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 13, 2013 21:53 |  #30

sstimages wrote in post #15132558 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by sstimages in
./showthread.php?p=151​32558&i=i215925545
forum: Sports Talk

I was at a denver bronco's game last month and I had a 70-200 and a 15mm fisheye and had more fun with the fisheye than i did with the 70=200

...not relevant to this thread really at all: but on my bucket list is to attend an NFL game. Don't need to bring my camera, I don't even need to understand the rules, but to experience this kind of atmosphere, surrounded by all these people, must be amazing.

Love the shot. I wanna be there someday.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

sponsored links

9,775 views & 0 likes for this thread
NFL Stadium policy...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.