Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 10 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 15:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T4i focus noise with Rode mic

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 10, 2012 15:35 |  #1

Hey everyone,

I'm struggling to figure out why I can hear focus motor noise on my T4i with a new Rode VideoMic installed. The Rode is working as the audio is outstandingly clear however despite the Rode being isolated on its mount I can hear every time the camera adjusts focus in the audio track.

I've not been able to find a way to disable the internal mic. I was thinking it was somehow using both mics which was why I could still hear focus motor noise (STM lens too).

Any thoughts?

Gear List

sponsored links
John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 10, 2012 18:41 |  #2

Does the noise appear in both left and right channels? If the camera is using both internal and external mic I would expect them to be on different channels.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Gantoris
232 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 10, 2012 21:26 |  #3

Easy fix: Use manual focus! Hahaha.

The internal mic may not actually be on. Which STM are you using? The 40mm pancake is not exactly silent. In fact it is louder than USM lenses.

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 11, 2012 08:45 |  #4

It's the 40mm pancake. It's nice to know all STM's aren't created equal. I guess I'll send it back. Does the 18-135 focus better than than 40mm? I still find that the T4i hunts a lot trying to focus on a relatively static subject in good light and mostly just a face.

Gear List

Gantoris
232 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 15, 2012 23:52 |  #5

Yes, the 18-135 is supposed to be MUCH quieter than the 40mm. It is nearly silent. You will still have the focus issue though because the T4i's full time AF isn't as advertised...

J_O_S_H_U_A
265 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 16, 2012 12:24 |  #6

I second the advice of going to manual focus. As a videographer for nearly a decade now, I have never found autofocus to be useful when manually focusing is possible.

www.instagram.com/_j_o​_s_h_u_a_ (external link) www.atomiccanary.com (external link) http://joshuaorozco.co​m (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 16, 2012 17:39 |  #7

Manual focus. Get a follow focus.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 18, 2012 09:28 |  #8

I agree with everyone else about manual focus. Learn the lens really well and it will become easier to follow focus manually. I know with magic lantern you can disable canon's internal mic and amplifier, providing line-in only audio however you might need a pre-amp and unfortunately I dont think they have made a version of ML for the t4i yet.

sponsored links

2,746 views & 0 likes for this thread
T4i focus noise with Rode mic
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.