Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 11:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

help a noob out

dannyny
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 12, 2012 12:06 |  #46

kcbrown wrote in post #15112709 (external link)
How many are needed depends on the variety of things you want to shoot.

Because you're just starting out, the idea is to give you enough flexibility that you can shoot most things reasonably well with relatively little money expended. That's why I generally recommend that people who are new to DSLR photography pick up the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS, the 55-250 f/4.5-5.6 IS, and the 50 f/1.8. I call this the "nifty trio" because they are inexpensive and optically good all at the same time.

Those 3 lenses cover an angle of view range from wide angle to relatively long telephoto. The 50 f/1.8 is a prime lens that will let you learn about shooting in low light and with shallow depth of field (the 55-250 will be pretty good at shallow depth of field as well when you shoot at long focal lengths and subjects that are somewhat close). They are all optically very good, so when you get your shutter speeds and exposures right, you'll be rewarded with rich, detailed shots.

The only reason I mentioned the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS in conjunction with the 7D is that one of the 7D's major strengths is its autofocus system that's useful for action, and the 17-55 has a significantly faster autofocus mechanism than the 18-55. However, upon reflection, chances are that if you're shooting action, you're shooting telephoto, which means if you get a 7D, you'll probably be better served with the 18-55 and a 70-200 f/4L IS.

Note that the 18-55, 55-250, and 17-55 are all EF-S lenses that work only on crop-sensor bodies such as the 7D, 60D, and Rebels. They will not work on any full-frame camera.

Again, budget is everything. If you're sufficiently budget sensitive, you will be better off with a 60D and more money for lenses than a 7D and less money for lenses, unless you know that you are going to be shooting a lot of action. Even then, the 60D isn't bad for action at all -- it's just that the 7D is as good as it gets for less than $3k for the body.

So what's your real budget here? With a budget figure, we can give you much better advice. Lacking that, all I can tell you is that if you pick up a full frame camera, you will need to spend a lot more money on glass to get the same capability as the "nifty trio" gets you.

when i first started looking for a camera i was planning to go with the sony nex-7 at 1369$ minus 25% off from employee discount at sony so i was looking at roughly 1100$ then i looked further into cameras and asked a bunch of people i know that owns cameras and they told me canon dslr so i looked into that and realized it would cost me somewhere between 1700-2900$ to start so i tried to find more options and ran into the fuji x pro 1 which is selling for 2000$ with a 35mm lens at B&H. so my budget went from 1100 to 2900$ back down to 2000$ the only reason i havent pulled the trigger on the fuji is because there is no zoom and alot of good cameras are expected to be released in the up and coming months. november fuji xe-1, sony nex-6 and then the canon 6d in decemeber...all within budget. i've put the dates in my calendar.

sponsored links
dannyny
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 12, 2012 12:15 |  #47

morph2_7 wrote in post #15112873 (external link)
It depends. 6D was just introduced recently. You will probably have to get it at MSRP or somewhere close to it. The price of brand new electronics most likely drop like a rock. As an example, 5DMark3 body was selling at $3500 back in early May when it was available for purchase. By mid September, Adorama was selling them for $2750. That's $750 price drop in about 4 months. If you get the T3i in May, you'd probably lose less than $200.

There's no rush to buy brand new electronics. The longer I wait, the cheaper the price and of course there will be new models by the time the price is right for me to buy :-) I'm still waiting for 5DMark3 to drop further down. I'm in no rush. I can wait 1-2 year.

was it on sale for 2750$? can only fins them for 3500$ now...

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 12, 2012 12:32 |  #48

dannyny wrote in post #15113136 (external link)
was it on sale for 2750$? can only fins them for 3500$ now...

That's correct. It only lasted for 24 hours (on Sep 16) before the sale ended. Take a look at adoramacamera on ebay http://www.ebay.com …SA-Warranty-/390468355036 (external link)

The sale was on Sep 15-16. If you wait until the black friday sale, the price will probably drop a little more.

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 12, 2012 14:42 |  #49

dannyny wrote in post #15113089 (external link)
when i first started looking for a camera i was planning to go with the sony nex-7 at 1369$ minus 25% off from employee discount at sony so i was looking at roughly 1100$ then i looked further into cameras and asked a bunch of people i know that owns cameras and they told me canon dslr so i looked into that and realized it would cost me somewhere between 1700-2900$ to start so i tried to find more options and ran into the fuji x pro 1 which is selling for 2000$ with a 35mm lens at B&H. so my budget went from 1100 to 2900$ back down to 2000$ the only reason i havent pulled the trigger on the fuji is because there is no zoom and alot of good cameras are expected to be released in the up and coming months. november fuji xe-1, sony nex-6 and then the canon 6d in decemeber...all within budget. i've put the dates in my calendar.

A refurbished Canon 60D from CLP (which will come with a 90 day warranty) will run about $650, while a brand new one will cost about $870 from Amazon. The "nifty trio" will add $500 to the price. So for somewhere between $1150 and $1400, you'll have a DSLR that is fast, focuses well, gets good high ISO performance, covers a focal length range all the way from 18mm to 250mm, and gives you some low light and shallow depth of field capability as well (at 50mm, which is an excellent focal length for portraits).

Believe me when I tell you that the pictures you'll be able to get with that setup are astounding once you know what you're doing. It's learning the ins and outs of photography that takes the time and effort, but the camera setup I outline above will make that possible.

You can spend more (a lot more, actually), but the results you get won't really be any better until your skill level is very, very high. And it'll take quite a bit of time to get to that point. During that period of time, you'll have equipment you can grow into and that will serve you very well.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the best equipment is what will make the difference in your photographs. Equipment just sets the upper bounds of what you can do. You, the photographer, have to supply the skill to get the shot and make it look good.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

599XX
46 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 12, 2012 14:52 |  #50
bannedPermanent ban

WaltA wrote in post #15108753 (external link)
You realize your going to have to buy some Post Processing software (and a big hard drive) as well, right?

Out of camera shots from your DSLR will look pretty flat without post processing.

You don't need a big hard drive if you a have a premium membership on Flickr :)

JAbberwocky
373 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 12, 2012 14:57 |  #51

I think the XPro1 will actually have much better quality than any ASPC Canon in your price range right now. I would also look at the upcoming Fuji XE-1 that has most the Xpro1 features at a lower cost. A canon DSLR is a fine choice as well. Just make sure you are comfortable with the size difference and the lens selection (canon has a lot).

Use this link, make sure to look at the side to side from different angles.
http://camerasize.com/​compare/#258,312 (external link)

Photography is not defined by what gear you own.

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 12, 2012 15:00 as a reply to  @ JAbberwocky's post |  #52

"i am planning to take pics of my new born child.

cheap lens on a full frame is like having hubcaps on a ferrari?"

I don't know your financial situation, and I don't mean to sound like an a-hole. But you will be way way way way way better off spending 1k on the Rebel and sticking the other 2k in a college fund for the kid. If you want to upgrade later on (which realistically if you're shooting on an iphone right now, it will take you years to out grow the Rebel) then you can.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 12, 2012 15:09 |  #53

599XX wrote in post #15113870 (external link)
You don't need a big hard drive if you a have a premium membership on Flickr :)

Yeah, I'm kinda hands on - I have 3 2TB drives (2 for local backup and 1 off site). Don't think I'd trust Flickr with that.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 12, 2012 15:21 |  #54

I was in a similar position to you last month when I was looking at my first DSLR. I was looking at spending money on bodies rather than lenses. After reading loads of review sites and photography forums I soon realised that I had it the wrong way around and started researching what would be the best lens for my use.

I ended up getting a Canon 60D (AU$800) with the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 lens (AU$900). I'm extremely glad I went this way as I can't see myself outgrowing the 60D anytime soon.

I wanted a second lens with more reach so I found a used 55-250 for $150 to play around with, if I stick with it I'll upgrade it to a better quality 70-200.

If you want it to take pictures of your newborn I wouldn't sit around waiting for new models to come out, I'd get something now and start learning how to use it. Knowledge and trail and error will net you better pictures on a 60D than a few weeks playing around with a 6D.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 12, 2012 16:11 |  #55

dannyny wrote in post #15112465 (external link)
i definitely do not want to spend 5d3 money for my camera ever...

then why u willing to get a 6d?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 12, 2012 17:36 |  #56

I remember being there; lots of people don't want to spend several grand on a camera and several grand on lenses.. Truth be told, most DON'T. Yeah, I know- blasphemy !.. But most people don't want to spend more than say 1 to 1.5 grand on a camera setup- for every thing- mostly- they want it way cheaper than a grand. I would venture that over 90% of DSLR owners own one or two cheap kit lenses... Nothing wrong with that-it's just how it is.. Most also frown on spending more on a lens than what the camera costs- because they don't know the facts.. Most are not artists- they just want decent pictures.. .. Again- nothing wrong with that.

Currently, a Rebel is probably the right choice - starting out.. It could easily last you 5 years or more. Buy from a reputable dealer with a decent return policy - where you can return it - no questions asked- for a period like 30 days.. Try it - decide if you like it.. The camera I would recommend would be the t4i- with the 18-135 STM kit lens.. If you decide on a second lens- get a 55-250 if you want longer, or a 10-22 if you want wider.. Generally speaking- I also recommend getting an external flash- if you find yourself using the pop-up flash- more versatile and comes out better..

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 12, 2012 18:40 |  #57

wayne.robbins wrote in post #15114604 (external link)
lots of people don't want to spend several grand on a camera and several grand on lenses.. Truth be told, most DON'T. Yeah, I know- blasphemy

not blasphemy, probably true. I suspect the majority of camera owners don't spend $5,000 on camera gear. But certainly some do, many times that!

dannyny
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 13, 2012 20:07 |  #58

morph2_7 wrote in post #15113208 (external link)
That's correct. It only lasted for 24 hours (on Sep 16) before the sale ended. Take a look at adoramacamera on ebay http://www.ebay.com …SA-Warranty-/390468355036 (external link)

The sale was on Sep 15-16. If you wait until the black friday sale, the price will probably drop a little more.

wow they sold 818 camera on that auction alone...

dannyny
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 13, 2012 20:10 |  #59

kcbrown wrote in post #15113816 (external link)
A refurbished Canon 60D from CLP (which will come with a 90 day warranty) will run about $650, while a brand new one will cost about $870 from Amazon. The "nifty trio" will add $500 to the price. So for somewhere between $1150 and $1400, you'll have a DSLR that is fast, focuses well, gets good high ISO performance, covers a focal length range all the way from 18mm to 250mm, and gives you some low light and shallow depth of field capability as well (at 50mm, which is an excellent focal length for portraits).

Believe me when I tell you that the pictures you'll be able to get with that setup are astounding once you know what you're doing. It's learning the ins and outs of photography that takes the time and effort, but the camera setup I outline above will make that possible.

You can spend more (a lot more, actually), but the results you get won't really be any better until your skill level is very, very high. And it'll take quite a bit of time to get to that point. During that period of time, you'll have equipment you can grow into and that will serve you very well.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the best equipment is what will make the difference in your photographs. Equipment just sets the upper bounds of what you can do. You, the photographer, have to supply the skill to get the shot and make it look good.

great advice. thank you!!

dannyny
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 13, 2012 20:12 |  #60

JAbberwocky wrote in post #15113898 (external link)
I think the XPro1 will actually have much better quality than any ASPC Canon in your price range right now. I would also look at the upcoming Fuji XE-1 that has most the Xpro1 features at a lower cost. A canon DSLR is a fine choice as well. Just make sure you are comfortable with the size difference and the lens selection (canon has a lot).

Use this link, make sure to look at the side to side from different angles.
http://camerasize.com/​compare/#258,312 (external link)

thanks for the link!!

i am trying to at least wait for the xe-1 to be released before i purchase anything.

sponsored links

5,514 views & 0 likes for this thread
help a noob out
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.