Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Oct 2012 (Friday) 09:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problems Installing Latest DPP Update

21tones
23 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 12, 2012 09:33 |  #1

I tried to install the latest version of DPP yesterday, but when I tried to save the exe. file to the same folder as my original version of DPP I got the message

"You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator for permission".

I'm on a new computer using Windows 7, but didn't have this problem when using XP on my previous computer.

Does anyone know how to overcome this?

Thanks

sponsored links
yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 12, 2012 10:25 |  #2

Do you have an administrator account on this computer ?

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channel (external link)
New Version DPP++ 11.3 released (external link)

21tones
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 12, 2012 10:34 as a reply to  @ yb98's post |  #3

No I don't , that's why I am confused!

yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 12, 2012 10:43 |  #4

Can't you ask someone who has an admin account to install it ?

Best DPP Threads

21tones
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 12, 2012 10:49 |  #5

Sorry - what I meant was that there is no separate administrator account so I should be able to do this.
I've installed the original programme in the location to which I was trying to save the update.

That's why I'm confused.

yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 12, 2012 10:55 |  #6

Normally, if you have administrator rights with your account you should be able to save it there.
If Windows refuses this means that your account don't have the administrator rights.

By the way why do you want to save the install .exe file there ?

Try to save it on your desktop and try to launch it from there.

Best DPP Threads

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,883 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 12, 2012 11:12 |  #7

21tones wrote in post #15112493 (external link)
I tried to install the latest version of DPP yesterday, but when I tried to save the exe. file to the same folder as my original version of DPP I got the message

"You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator for permission".

I'm on a new computer using Windows 7, but didn't have this problem when using XP on my previous computer.

Thanks

What folder did you try to save it in? It really doesn't' matter where you put the installation exe. Its only needed during the installation itself. Save the file somewhere else. If it won't install when you double click on the exe, try right clicking and then select "Run as administrator " to install.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,468 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 12, 2012 11:18 |  #8

Go to Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Change your Account Type and make sure you are set as Administrator (not Standard Account).

Elie / אלי

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,883 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 12, 2012 12:15 |  #9

tzalman wrote in post #15112898 (external link)
Go to Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Change your Account Type and make sure you are set as Administrator (not Standard Account).

I think his issue may be that he's trying to copy the installation exe into the Program Files(x86) folder. Until we know exactly where he was was prevented from copying the file, its difficult to say for certain why he's having the problem. In any case, he should at least try to copy the exe somewhere else and attempt to install it as I suggested, either by double clicking or right clicking and using Run as Administrator.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 12, 2012 12:30 |  #10

yb98 wrote in post #15112791 (external link)
Normally, if you have administrator rights with your account you should be able to save it there.
If Windows refuses this means that your account don't have the administrator rights.

By the way why do you want to save the install .exe file there ?

Try to save it on your desktop and try to launch it from there.

In fact, don't bother to save it anywhere, just press run and it installs.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,594 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 12, 2012 12:31 |  #11

21tones wrote in post #15112493 (external link)

Thanks

You don't really want the installation file in the same folder with the program anyway. Put it in a downloads folder, or just save it to the desktop. The downloaded file is usually zipped, so you have to extract the files from it, then click the .exe file to start the installation.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 12, 2012 12:40 |  #12

21tones wrote in post #15112765 (external link)
I've installed the original programme in the location to which I was trying to save the update.

The sentence indicates that you are trying to download DPP installation file (EXE) and save it to C:\Program Files... etc.

If I understand this correctly, you don't want to do that. Save the file to Desktop. Then run it.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 12, 2012 14:09 |  #13

Windows has some "protected" areas, and it sounds like you are coming against that, I don't know the details. When I do an online install, I typically just choose the "download and Run" defaults and never have a problem -- files are downloaded to a Temp location and then the install runs.

If occasionally I want to save the installation files I'll do it to a "safe" directory of my choosing, not to the "Program Files" directory.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 12, 2012 20:24 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #14

The OP's question wasn't actually "Should I save this file where I want to save it?"
The question was "Why can't I?" (Correct?)
Win7 puts a lot of limitations on what you can and can't do. Drove me crazy when I first started using it.
However, I just now tried putting my installation exe file in that folder and didn't have any trouble; got a window telling me I need admin rights and just clicked continue. So you've got something going on with your permissions. (And figuring out the whole "permissions" thing was a freakin' nightmare for me!)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,883 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 12, 2012 20:43 |  #15

ncjohn wrote in post #15115167 (external link)
The OP's question wasn't actually "Should I save this file where I want to save it?"
The question was "Why can't I?" (Correct?)
Win7 puts a lot of limitations on what you can and can't do. Drove me crazy when I first started using it.
However, I just now tried putting my installation exe file in that folder and didn't have any trouble; got a window telling me I need admin rights and just clicked continue. So you've got something going on with your permissions. (And figuring out the whole "permissions" thing was a freakin' nightmare for me!)

True, but by extension, the implication was that the OP didn't save the file elsewhere and didn't install it. It seemed to most of us the purpose of his post was to help him install DPP. If he did install it, why bother to come to us on this forum just to discuss the quirks of the Windows 7 operating system if he wasn't having an ongoing problem . The only logical reason to bring up the subject in the first place is that he was unable to install DPP successfully on his computer.

Mark

sponsored links

4,176 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problems Installing Latest DPP Update
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.