Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Oct 2012 (Friday) 09:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problems Installing Latest DPP Update

Preeb
Goldmember
2,594 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 13, 2012 09:37 |  #16

ncjohn wrote in post #15115167 (external link)
The OP's question wasn't actually "Should I save this file where I want to save it?"
The question was "Why can't I?" (Correct?)
Win7 puts a lot of limitations on what you can and can't do. Drove me crazy when I first started using it.
However, I just now tried putting my installation exe file in that folder and didn't have any trouble; got a window telling me I need admin rights and just clicked continue. So you've got something going on with your permissions. (And figuring out the whole "permissions" thing was a freakin' nightmare for me!)

This is how my Win 7 works too. Just tells me I need the Admin rights to do it, but it's just a click to continue. I do have my laptop passworded at boot-up, but I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

That said, I still would never put an installation file in the program's base operating folder. It doesn't belong there and could conceivably cause a problem somewhere down the road which would be a real puzzle to troubleshoot. You just want a clean neutral location for the install file so the if it has to be unzipped, it can extract to the same location, then run the install application .exe file to perform the installation. It can then be deleted or not as the user wishes, because it has no further function in running the program it's updating.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

sponsored links
ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 13, 2012 09:56 as a reply to  @ Preeb's post |  #17

I save all my install files because there are a lot of reasons why you'd need to run it again. Your working program can become corrupted, or your whole computer can crash. If you've backed up the whole system, then you don't have to download all your install files again when you rebuild. Like you, I don't save the install files with the Program Files, but if he wants to, I can't see any problem with that. Just makes more sense to me to leave all my downloaded files in the "downloads" folder.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,468 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 13, 2012 10:32 |  #18

Preeb wrote in post #15116812 (external link)
This is how my Win 7 works too. Just tells me I need the Admin rights to do it, but it's just a click to continue. I do have my laptop passworded at boot-up, but I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I had the same thing until I did the procedure I described above to be sure my account is an administrator account.

That said, I still would never put an installation file in the program's base operating folder. It doesn't belong there and could conceivably cause a problem somewhere down the road which would be a real puzzle to troubleshoot. You just want a clean neutral location for the install file so the if it has to be unzipped, it can extract to the same location, then run the install application .exe file to perform the installation. It can then be deleted or not as the user wishes, because it has no further function in running the program it's updating.

This is somewhat OT, but I rarely select the Save option for downloading, choosing Run instead. I don't need those installers just accumulating on my disc and by choosing Run they are there only as temporary files that are deleted with the next shut-down or reboot. A few times that has been a problem when the installation wasn't right - as with a recent update of LR that installed the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit and I had to uninstall it and download to Save - but such occurrences are rare.

Elie / אלי

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,883 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 13, 2012 11:39 |  #19

tzalman wrote in post #15116963 (external link)
This is somewhat OT, but I rarely select the Save option for downloading, choosing Run instead. I don't need those installers just accumulating on my disc and by choosing Run they are there only as temporary files that are deleted with the next shut-down or reboot.

I would generally agree for most software, but for some licensed software purchased online you can only download the install executable for a set period of time, perhaps 30 days. For that type of purchased software I not only keep the install exe on my hard drive but often create a CD backup. You may need to reinstall if the application become corrupt, or the hard drive fails and you need to put the software on another drive or computer.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

21tones
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 14, 2012 05:23 as a reply to  @ mwsilver's post |  #20

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies.
I had installed DPP from the CD in the program files (X86) folder as it defaulted to that.
When I tried to put the update installer in the same folder it wouldn't let me, even though I do have admin rights. I then uninstalled from X86 put the programme from the CD into the Programme Files folder and tried to put the update there but it wouldn't let me. I thought I had to put the update into the same folder as the original programme.
I've followed your advice and put the update into the downloads folder with no problem, and run it from there.
I'm sure I never had these problems with Windows XP when updating DPP etc.
Thankyou again.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,883 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 14, 2012 09:31 |  #21

21tones wrote in post #15119823 (external link)
I had installed DPP from the CD in the program files (X86) folder as it defaulted to that.
When I tried to put the update installer in the same folder it wouldn't let me, even though I do have admin rights. I then uninstalled from X86 put the programme from the CD into the Programme Files folder and tried to put the update there but it wouldn't let me. I thought I had to put the update into the same folder as the original programme.
I've followed your advice and put the update into the downloads folder with no problem, and run it from there.
Thankyou again.

Windows 7 has more security than XP. Even if XP allowed you to copy the install exe into the program folder, you really shouldn't have done it. Its bad practice. It doesn't take much to screw up a working program. Most folks wouldn't even know how to copy there. If you've been doing it for all your installations, stop, even if it allows you. If there are install exe's I want to keep, I set up separate named folders for each in My Downloads. In the case of DPP its readily accessible on line so there is no great need to keep the install file although I personally keep a copy of all install files as a history.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 14, 2012 13:33 |  #22

21tones wrote in post #15119823 (external link)
Thankyou again.

Saving a bunch of downloaded/copied files to "Program Files" is not the right way to use Windows.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 14, 2012 14:44 |  #23

The Windows Install has "default" settings which work fine for me, they put the temp files in a folder and then, they "unzip" into the "proper" Program Files location. The only ways I ever "alter" things are 1) If I want to Save the temp install file to, say, use it to copy to and install on an offline computer and 2) If I'm installing a "non-critical" application, in which I could re-direct the installation to a "non-System" Program Files directly on another of my hard drives.

I remember when Vista came out there were installations that would get "hung up" on the Vista security features and you had to do a work-around. These got quickly "published" and you could quickly do the work-around to "identify yourself" as an administrator...it was a headache because you already were an administrator...

But I haven't seen that kind of problem with Win7. I imagine that it got ironed out for the Win7 release, although maybe older app installations may (or may not) encounter a problem, but I haven't tried to install all the "old" stuff that encountered that problem. I'm not sure of the "technical" details. But I do have some "older" stuff that has installed fine, such as Photoshop CS3 and LR3...and then I have installed CS5 and LR5 as well as the various DPP updates and so on...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,594 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 15, 2012 12:10 |  #24

tzalman wrote in post #15116963 (external link)
I had the same thing until I did the procedure I described above to be sure my account is an administrator account.

This is somewhat OT, but I rarely select the Save option for downloading, choosing Run instead. I don't need those installers just accumulating on my disc and by choosing Run they are there only as temporary files that are deleted with the next shut-down or reboot. A few times that has been a problem when the installation wasn't right - as with a recent update of LR that installed the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit and I had to uninstall it and download to Save - but such occurrences are rare.

For me it depends on the type of installation. If the entire zip file for the application downloads before running the installation, and it's a 2gb download, then I'm probably going to save it, install, then transfer the downloaded zip file to my external disk for possible future reference. For small downloads, or ones where the downloading is part of the install process, then I delete the install file when finished.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

sponsored links

4,169 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problems Installing Latest DPP Update
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.