Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Oct 2012 (Friday) 16:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

to use or not to use LCD display?

Kellym7
32 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 12, 2012 16:02 |  #1

I went to a local camera store to have some prints done. I was talking with one of the guys there about photos that looked good on the LCD display but when put on the computer were over exposed. He told me I should rely on the histogram and not the LCD display. It seems as if I read somewhere the brightness on the LCD display should be set to 4 to get an accurate display. Fill me in on the right thing to do prior to getting home to PP. I know the histogram is a valuable tool and I am starting to feel good about reading it. However I would think I should be able to look at the LCD display and get a good feeling for what the photos would look like without PP.

Canon T3i, Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS II lens, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 12, 2012 16:05 |  #2

I don't recall what my LCD brightness is set to on my 60d, but its pretty accurate exposure wise to give me a good idea. (I did adjust it some)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

5x5 ­ photography
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 12, 2012 16:12 |  #3

I would not go by the LCD for exposure alone but using the histogram as well would be a better guide.
Did you try and adjust the exposure using an editing program such as Lightroom or Digital Photo Professional (quality software that comes with Canon cameras).
The LCD is good for getting an over all feel for composition, exposure, and focus but should not be totally relied upon.

My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/ (external link)

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 12, 2012 16:19 |  #4

I have taken to bringing my iPad, a USB cable, and the iPad camera connection kit so I can check photos on my iPad instead of the LCD display. I do use the histogram, however there are times when it's desired to underexpose or overexpose parts of an image, for example in landscape photography where one might be merging multiple exposures in PP either with layers or as an HDR.

I've been burned too many times when I would zoom in on the LCD only to later come home and find overexposed, blurry photos instead of nice ones that I thought I saw on my LCD screen.

This brings up the second reason not to use the LCD explicitly: regardless of the histogram, even zoomed in, I find it difficult to judge sharpness via the LCD display. The iPad has solved this issue for me, although it adds extra tasks when shooting and during the golden hours time passes quickly before the best light is gone, so it's not the most practical solution. If I had a camera with live view, the iPad would be my live view LCD screen. I am hoping with WiFi I will be able to do this on the 6D when it becomes available.

Take this with a grain of salt though because I shoot with an XTi, that has no live view, and I am sure the LCD screens on newer cameras have higher resolution and maybe some of the issues I am describing are not applicable with newer cameras.

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,175 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 12, 2012 16:21 |  #5

Dont use the LCD to measure brightness, there are too many variables. Screen brightness setting, viewing angle, and ambient brightness can all bias your results. Learn to use the histogram.

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 12, 2012 16:27 |  #6

gonzogolf wrote in post #15114285 (external link)
Dont use the LCD to measure brightness, there are too many variables. Screen brightness setting, viewing angle, and ambient brightness can all bias your results. Learn to use the histogram.

x2

the only thing the LCD tells you is when you've blown the highlights.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,998 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 12, 2012 17:05 |  #7

Copidosoma wrote in post #15114316 (external link)
x2

the only thing the LCD tells you is when you've blown the highlights.

Two points to this:

1) The histogram on the camera is from the JPG, so your white balance plays into it, etc. This can really mislead you depending on your settings.

2) The histogram and clippies on the LCD is not indicative of true limits, when shooting raw, you actually have more stop headroom at both ends.

So in reality, just because the LCD "says" you have blown highlights, you actually may not have. Now there are some settings you can make to the camera to reduce most of these deltas by shooting neutral picture styles, setting a uniWB for a custom white balance, and choosing adobeRBG instead of sRGB but that is a topic for another day.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 12, 2012 18:08 |  #8

Kellym7 wrote in post #15114202 (external link)
I went to a local camera store to have some prints done. I was talking with one of the guys there about photos that looked good on the LCD display but when put on the computer were over exposed. He told me I should rely on the histogram and not the LCD display. It seems as if I read somewhere the brightness on the LCD display should be set to 4 to get an accurate display. Fill me in on the right thing to do prior to getting home to PP. I know the histogram is a valuable tool and I am starting to feel good about reading it. However I would think I should be able to look at the LCD display and get a good feeling for what the photos would look like without PP.

The LCD is a processed jpeg according to the camera settings. If that's what you shoot and print, then it should be fairly close. If you shoot RAW, or if you process in something other than DPP, then the results can be quite different. Can you tell us what format you shoot in and what software you post process in?

As others have said, the histogram is your best tool, but even that isn't a guarantee. If you load a RAW image into Lightroom and compare the histogram there to the one in the camera, you will probably see something quite different.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 12, 2012 18:32 |  #9

BrickR wrote in post #15114215 (external link)
I don't recall what my LCD brightness is set to on my 60d, but its pretty accurate exposure wise to give me a good idea. (I did adjust it some)

my LCD display is fairly accurate, I use it to judge exposure

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 13, 2012 14:48 |  #10

I have recently been using highlight alert, does anyone else find that helpful? I have my info set to show the histogram, settings and the image, I am learning, and that information is really helpful. -rick

gonzogolf wrote in post #15114285 (external link)

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 13, 2012 15:02 |  #11

My Canon cameras are fine LCD wise. I have noticed on my newly acquired Nikon D90 (Just a camera to kick around... don't freak out:)) sometimes when I try to get dark areas they look nice and dark on the LCD but when I get home the dark areas are visible. I guess I'll be using the histogram on the D90 to get accurate exposure results.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,954 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 13, 2012 18:52 |  #12

Just as an overly bright computer monitor can mislead about image density, yet you get dark prints...you can view images on the camera LCD in an overly bright adjustment and also get dark exposures.

Histograms can MISLEAD, too!!! If you photograph a white snowy scene per the meter, you get a big spike in the center...but that only represents the fact that the white scene was recorded in an underexposed manner resulting in grey snow. So you have to interpret what the histogram tells you in an intelligent manner!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,175 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 13, 2012 20:27 |  #13

alazgr8 wrote in post #15117806 (external link)
I have recently been using highlight alert, does anyone else find that helpful? I have my info set to show the histogram, settings and the image, I am learning, and that information is really helpful. -rick

The blinkies, or highlight alert, is based on the histogram information so yes its part of the same process. As others have pointed out its helpful to learn what the histogram is telling you, and when it might likely be fooled, but its still a more reliable tool than just looking at the review screen.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,954 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 13, 2012 21:05 |  #14

The blinkies are also potentially deceptive, too...they are based upon the lower res preview JPG rather than the full res image, so blinkies may be masked when they fall within the pixels which are not within the lower res JPG preview.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Kellym7
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 15, 2012 09:16 |  #15

Preeb wrote in post #15114720 (external link)
The LCD is a processed jpeg according to the camera settings. If that's what you shoot and print, then it should be fairly close. If you shoot RAW, or if you process in something other than DPP, then the results can be quite different. Can you tell us what format you shoot in and what software you post process in?

As others have said, the histogram is your best tool, but even that isn't a guarantee. If you load a RAW image into Lightroom and compare the histogram there to the one in the camera, you will probably see something quite different.

I shoot in RAW and PP with Lightroom 4

Canon T3i, Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS II lens, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

sponsored links

2,523 views & 0 likes for this thread
to use or not to use LCD display?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.