Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 10 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 11:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grizzly's vs Salmon

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,577 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 11, 2012 00:41 |  #16

Loved the video..... wowee, lots of awesome shots & great action.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

sponsored links
samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 11, 2012 00:48 |  #17

Gorgeous images.

But then learn from Salmon and stay safe :)

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

madjack
Goldmember
1,978 posts
Gallery: 182 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 11, 2012 01:55 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #18

Wow those are great! I admire your courage and steady hand...;)

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

TsPhotoSpot
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 11, 2012 07:30 as a reply to  @ post 15106317 |  #19

Thank you for all the comments.

We were up the first week in August and flew into a small lake in the Back County and hiked a half mile or so to the river. We lucked out on the weather, I think that was the only day it was not cloudy during our visit.

Earlier in the day the salmon were schooled up in some deeper areas and the bears were not having much luck catching. In the afternoon the salmon really began to run up stream sometimes running them self’s on to the rocks. At that point it was pretty easy picking for the bears. We saw the bear in #3 – 8 down about a dozen salmon in an hour and a half.

I am here to learn, so suggestions for improvement are welcome on any of my photos.
Tom S
Gear 5D3, 7D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200L, 100-400L
My Photo Site,  (external link) Flickr (external link) and my YouTube site (external link)

D.C.
Goldmember
1,155 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 11, 2012 08:22 |  #20

Great pictures and video.

Duane
7D, 430EX,10-22, 100 Macro, 100-400, 24-105, 500 F/4 IS

My Gallery (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 11, 2012 11:49 |  #21

TsPhotoSpot wrote in post #15106120 (external link)
This is what had caught the bears attention, he had no interest in us.

Another great pic! :)

Joel

TsPhotoSpot
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 12, 2012 22:29 |  #22

TsPhotoSpot wrote in post #15113064 (external link)
The website link for Katmai Bears looked great but I am not sure I could handle the price tag.

I did a single day trip through Emerald Air Service (external link)and while they were very good I am not sure I would recommend them for someone who primary reason for going is photography. The thing that was good with our guide is they try to go where there will not be a lot of other people. It was not a problem for us, but the ability of the group you are with could impact you trip. The lake we landed on have a few tents that people were camping in tent which I am sure would lower the price on a multi-day trip. Not sure who the other group was, but our guide did seem to know them.

philk54 wrote in post #15113283 (external link)
Tom,

Did you land at Moraine Lake? I was camping there with Dave Bachrach, AK Adventures, and I remember seeing a plane that said Emerald Air. I wonder if we were there at the same time?

I had to dig up the map to see where we were. We were there August 8th and landed in Crosswinds Lake, then walked a short distance to Moraine and Funnel Creeks. I am thinking this is the area you mean?

There was a another group of photgraphers there the same time we were. I posted of photo of the other photographers here. Maybe you are in the photo?

I am here to learn, so suggestions for improvement are welcome on any of my photos.
Tom S
My Photo Site,  (external link) Flickr (external link) and my YouTube site (external link)

Worcester ­ Lad
Goldmember
4,783 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 13, 2012 18:52 |  #23

Super set!

George
flickr (external link)

philk54
Goldmember
4,573 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 13, 2012 19:48 |  #24

TsPhotoSpot wrote in post #15115556 (external link)
I had to dig up the map to see where we were. We were there August 8th and landed in Crosswinds Lake, then walked a short distance to Moraine and Funnel Creeks. I am thinking this is the area you mean?

There was a another group of photgraphers there the same time we were. I posted of photo of the other photographers here. Maybe you are in the photo?

You jogged my memory. It was Crosswinds Lake and Moraine Creek. I was there Aug 1-4. Still going through all the shots I took. Looking forward to seeing more of yours.

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com (external link)

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

Nodin
375 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 13, 2012 19:50 |  #25

beautifully captured.

Canonada
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 14, 2012 12:36 |  #26

Great shots and video. For constructive feedback, I could be wrong but to me some of the shots did look like they were a little over sharpened.

On July 13th my wife and I flew from Homer to Naknek Lake in Katmai Nation Park to photograph the bears at Books Falls. At first, I thought you had taken your shots at the same place but it appears you were at a different location. When we were at Books Falls the fish were not red. The red fish makes a nice contrast to the bears. Lots of great action shots and video. Our time on the ground was too short. Would like to go back again. Another good place to photograph bears is Hyder AK near the British Columbia border. You can drive to Hyder.

Joe

Canon 5D MII, Canon 1D MK4, Canon EF 24-105 L IS USM, Canon EF 17-40 L USM, Canon EF 300mm f2.8 L IS USM, Canon EF 70-200 F4 IS L, Canon 430EX, 580EX II, Sigma EX 105mm F2.8 DG macro,

TsPhotoSpot
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 14, 2012 18:13 |  #27

Canonada wrote in post #15121002 (external link)
Great shots and video. For constructive feedback, I could be wrong but to me some of the shots did look like they were a little over sharpened.

On July 13th my wife and I flew from Homer to Naknek Lake in Katmai Nation Park to photograph the bears at Books Falls. At first, I thought you had taken your shots at the same place but it appears you were at a different location. When we were at Books Falls the fish were not red. The red fish makes a nice contrast to the bears. Lots of great action shots and video. Our time on the ground was too short. Would like to go back again. Another good place to photograph bears is Hyder AK near the British Columbia border. You can drive to Hyder.

Joe

Thank you for the comments, after i started looking at a few of the photos more i started to think a few were over sharpened. I am glad you confirmed that.

Our guide said he avoided Brooks falls because there tend to be a lot of people there.

Tom S

TsPhotoSpot
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 14, 2012 18:19 |  #28

philk54 wrote in post #15118613 (external link)
You jogged my memory. It was Crosswinds Lake and Moraine Creek. I was there Aug 1-4. Still going through all the shots I took. Looking forward to seeing more of yours.

So did you spend all your days photographing the bears? The photographers i saw were in a perfect position for the sun, but were in the same spot all day. I like being able to more around a little. Where you in the same spot all the day you were there? What were the logistics for food, sleeping ect?

I have more shots posted on my web page (external link).

Tom S

philk54
Goldmember
4,573 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 14, 2012 19:36 |  #29

We spent our time moving around the confluence of Funnel and Moraine Creeks. We stayed in tents that our guide had pitched at Crosswinds Lake. The guide took care of everything. He had the camp set up when we got there, provided all the food. He seemed to know a lot of the other guides and pilots that came in during our stay. By the way, our "group" was only two photographers and the guide. There was another larger group who set up camp just behind us.

I have posted more of my photos at www.flickr.com/photos/​philk54 (external link) You can see a picture of the campsite there.

I checked out your web page. Very nice. You have a lot of beautiful work there.

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com (external link)

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

TsPhotoSpot
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 15, 2012 15:48 |  #30

philk54 wrote in post #15122468 (external link)
We spent our time moving around the confluence of Funnel and Moraine Creeks. We stayed in tents that our guide had pitched at Crosswinds Lake. The guide took care of everything. He had the camp set up when we got there, provided all the food. He seemed to know a lot of the other guides and pilots that came in during our stay. By the way, our "group" was only two photographers and the guide. There was another larger group who set up camp just behind us.

I have posted more of my photos at www.flickr.com/photos/​philk54 (external link) You can see a picture of the campsite there.

I checked out your web page. Very nice. You have a lot of beautiful work there.

I looked at your photo link and you also have some nice shots, despite what it appears to be clouds and rain. The small group would be very nice. Did you like the length of stay? Too long, to short or just right?

Tom S

sponsored links

5,034 views & 0 likes for this thread
Grizzly's vs Salmon
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.