Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Oct 2012 (Sunday) 12:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why I'm seriously considering getting an EOS M (and the major critisms don't apply)

Ember42
43 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 14, 2012 12:53 |  #1

I think many of the critisisms of the ESO M (and many other cameras) have a mjor flaw for how many people will actually use these cameras. They assume that any given camera being discussed will be the only camera, and must do all things. I think this will be actually quite rare amongst serious users.

My Analysis:
Usage cases:
1. Birding / wildlife
2. Landscapes, etc while doing 1.
3. Landscapes, etc casually.
4. Candid portraits and people pcitures in a major even setting (like a wedding, as a guest)
5. Casual social settings
6. Macros
7. Photo travel
8. Buisness travel with incidental photos
9. Vacation travel without it being a dedicated photo trip.
10. Formal portraits.

My Equipment:
Now, a 60D with lenses suitable to varying degrees for 1-10 in terms of focal length and image quality. An elph, that I am never satisifed with image quaility except for strict documentation purposes. A blackberry, that gives results not that much worse than the elph, and is always with me.

My Gap:
For 2, 5, 8 and 9, the 60D setup is too large, and I have found I am often forgoing opperunities.
Where a mirrorless camera would fit in, would be to be a second body to hold a wide / ultrawide for 2., To be an easily carryable kit for 3, with a reasonably fast prime for 4 (and small flash possibly), and a much more comapct travel kit for 8 and 9.
What this kit does not need to do is the other major elements, where the flexibility and PDAF of a full DSLR are advantages.
a m4/3 system would cover this as well, but for many of these scenarios having some accesory or lens cross compatibility are nice.
Notice that none of these require blazing AF, or the speed of composition that needs a viewfinder (in too bright for the LCD areas).

WHat are your thoughs on this? Obviosuly I'm waiting for a few reviews to make sure the lenses are good, etc before biting.

sponsored links
jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 14, 2012 13:02 |  #2

I think you've done due diligence and made your decision. You evaluated your needs, compared them to your current gear and justified your points well.

The fact that you have a 60D and haven't jumped on every new release pretty much takes you out of the "gear head" category, with the need to have the latest and greatest. You're aware of what your gear can do, and what you can do with your gear. I say go for it! I have a 50D and a 60D, but my S100 is with me all the time, so in the same respect that you say at times the full DSLR body is too much, I agree. Good luck! :)

feedback

gear list

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 14, 2012 14:01 |  #3

Pretty much hit the nail on the head, and taken all of my arguments for why I want one. ;)

I see people complaining about the lack of VF and external controls, like Canon has a few extra holes in their head when they thought it was a good idea to make the camera. For the enthusiast photographer crowd, this is a great little camera for the things you listed - pretty much every time you don't want the big kit along.

And for the soccer mom's out there, it's exactly what Canon wants to tell them it is! :lol: ;)

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 14, 2012 14:51 |  #4

I think your thinking is fine. I think for enthusiasts to serious users the M is meant to be a secondary body. Something that will give you a smaller package for when you don't want to lug around the DSLR and also the option of using your current lenses. Taken in context of being a compliment, the M is an interesting and certainly viable choice!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 14, 2012 15:49 |  #5

Your plan is well thought out. The EOS-M not only bridges the gap between a P&S and a full size camera, it blows the bridge up. You will get great images that a P&S could never hope for in a handy size. I like that the M is smaller in all dimensions, and the weight is about a third of your 60D, which would make it much easier to haul around. My only negative comment is that it's kind of pricey, but that's for you to consider. -rick

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 14, 2012 15:59 |  #6

alazgr8 wrote in post #15121613 (external link)
Your plan is well thought out. The EOS-M not only bridges the gap between a P&S and a full size camera, it blows the bridge up. You will get great images that a P&S could never hope for in a handy size. I like that the M is smaller in all dimensions, and the weight is about a third of your 60D, which would make it much easier to haul around. My only negative comment is that it's kind of pricey, but that's for you to consider. -rick

exactly what I am hoping for.. it will replace my S90 P&S and be the new go to camera..well on the go. Already preorder the zoom/flash/adaptor kit.

Early Adopter

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 14, 2012 17:00 |  #7

Ember42 wrote in post #15121062 (external link)
Where a mirrorless camera would fit in, would be to be a second body to hold a wide / ultrawide for 2., To be an easily carryable kit for 3, with a reasonably fast prime for 4 (and small flash possibly), and a much more comapct travel kit for 8 and 9.

that's the purpose of the EOS-M, smaller and lighter so it makes sense. With "pancake" lens it could be pocket size, albeit large cargo pants pockets

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 14, 2012 18:44 |  #8

I don't think the contrast AF will be fast enough for BIF though

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

marcial4
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 14, 2012 19:03 |  #9

this is not the camera I would choose for birding!.. for the rest of the activities you listed you'll be fine!.

Marcial "Marshall" Quintero
EOS R | EF16-35/4L | EF100L Macro | EF70-300L

A Venezuelan living in Santiago de Chile

Instagram (external link) flickr (external link)

Ember42
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 14, 2012 23:18 as a reply to  @ marcial4's post |  #10

Definitly not for birding itself. It would have a place for what I called 2 - Landscapes etc while birding. Instead of switching lenses, I could just leave the M attached to my 10-22 or 17-55, and keep it in the same holster spot I would keep it now, just with a camera mounted ;-)a. (I use a think tank belt and harness).
Since the M has a very similiar sensor to my 60D, I would not feel I was giving anything up quality wise. I know it will be slow focusing on the non-stm legacy lenses, but most landscapes don't try to run away on me.

Ember42
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 14, 2012 23:48 |  #11

And for price, while there may be some cheaper m4/3 bodies, the extra lenses/flashes I would need for functionality would eat the difference up quickly.
That and the kit is Canada isa better deal. Basically add the new flash for $30 for than the US nominal...

Rex914
53 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 15, 2012 01:36 |  #12

I'm in a similar boat, pondering about how well it would feel to be toting around an M with some of my EF-S lenses mounted. Autofocus aside, my concern is shifting more to the ergonomics of it.

I have a Nikon J1, and the EOS-M is just a touch larger. I have a 17-55, and the thought of mounting a 17-55 to something of that size is difficult.

My point is that with mirrorless, if you want to pack lighter (cases 5, 8, 9), a smaller body gets you halfway there, but if you are counting on using the larger walkaround lenses (10-22, 17-55), you ought to try it out before committing to this combination. If you're planning to stick to just the native lenses for travel, then it's a no brainer. Go for it.

Regardless of what you do, going mirrorless for travel is a smart move, I left my main gear at home on my most recent trip to Hong Kong and brought along just a J1. While the J1 was technically inferior to my main setup, I ended up taking better (and more) photos because I was having fun and pinpointing different photo ops than I otherwise would have had with my main setup.

40D, 17-55, 70-200 4/IS, 60 macro

Ember42
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 15, 2012 09:30 |  #13

Rex,
I know what you mean about the ergonomics as a concern. My though was really only to use EF (asside from the 40mm) for times when I had the full camera with me (especially with lenses in a think tank belt) and would just use the M to avoid lens changes. In the belt I could store the lens in the poutch as I normally would, it would just have the M already mounted on it.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 15, 2012 14:46 |  #14

One thing you may appreciate with the EOS-M is that the back/front focus issue may not exist regardless of what lens is used. This is due to the type of AF associated with mirrorless systems. This is of coarse if Canon has not changed anything from most mirrorless contrast detect systems.

I've read people doing comparisons to the M43 Oly Em-5 and no contest the m43 beats the eos-m. I know the high ISO of my em-5 is shockingly impressive compared to any 7d/60d I've used.

The balance of a small camera w/ adapter mount to mate with a canon EFS/EF lens will be odd. Probably a lot worst than a 60D (no battery grip) and larger white lens.

If your considering native EOS-M lenses they will be lacking in selection. Also they wont be much use to a "regular" canon dslr. The M43 beats the EOS-M for having compatibility of all the m43 lenses available.

I'm somewhat stuck in the canon realm with the investment in the system. However when it comes to portability will not consider the EOS-m for many reasons. I've used many canon dslr's and I'll have to say the IQ holds its ground comparing to a 1dmk3, 40d, 50d, 60d, 7d, 5dc and the list goes on. Of coarse my comparison is based on non birding/fast action photography. ISO 4000 in challenging light with my oly EM-5 is much cleaner than my 5dc, 1dmk3 without a doubt.

I cannot see the EOS-M surpassing the 60D as far as iso and IQ performance. As a lateral move having a smaller t4i seems to be more of an option for ergonomics and slightly smaller package that is extremely capable.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

Rex914
53 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 15, 2012 20:12 |  #15

I have no doubt that Canon's native lens selection will grow over time (hopefully faster than Nikon's 1 series has), but it's going to take a few years.

What remains to be seen is how they can work with the sensor size they've chosen to deliver sufficiently small and compact lenses for their system, something that MFT has succeeded in doing.

Gven that Sony has struggled to make their lenses compact relative to the bodies (until the 16-50 pancake zoom), it'll be interesting to see what Canon comes up with. Will their DO technology make a comeback perhaps?

40D, 17-55, 70-200 4/IS, 60 macro

sponsored links

4,800 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why I'm seriously considering getting an EOS M (and the major critisms don't apply)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.