Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Oct 2012 (Sunday) 03:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm switching to Canon...

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,029 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 14, 2012 17:30 as a reply to  @ post 15121774 |  #16

The 1DX's high ISO performance is also reportedly about a stop better than that of the 5D3,

bw!

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

sponsored links
Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 14, 2012 17:33 |  #17

Otta wrote in post #15121774 (external link)
KibblesNbitz

Welcome .... Something I would do for sure with new kit , is take it to CPS to have lenses and cameras calibrated .

Most people tend to live with or maybe not notice the inaccuracies in focus , but after calibration they are so much better , with doing in my opinion .

Enjoy , I swapped from the dark side in 2002 ( D1&D1H )

I have never even thought about that as an issue to be blunt. All the Canon lenses I have ever bought, bar one, have worked as magically as the promise they would, as they slew my credit card

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

backblast
319 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 14, 2012 18:28 |  #18

Welcome, and good to meet you.

The main reason I went with the 1dsmkIII and the 1dmkIII is that their menus are identical and there is no remembering differences between the two when switching back and forth.

I'll second the 70-200 2.8L II is absolutely perfect for a zoom, can't be beat. I too am contemplating the 24 or 45mm TSE.

1Ds MkIII - 1D MkIII & several lenses with red rings.

Otta
333 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 14, 2012 19:06 as a reply to  @ backblast's post |  #19

Jahled

I would say you have been very lucky

My 1Dmk4 has had a new mirror box and my longer lenses have been calibrated with and without a converter and are brilliant now .

A bit of bad luck on my part ,but that said I happy to stay with canon .. cps service in the uk has been brilliant .

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/otta12 (external link)

KibblesNbitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 14, 2012 22:06 |  #20

Hopefully no calibration is needed, but I'll keep it in mind!

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 14, 2012 22:16 as a reply to  @ KibblesNbitz's post |  #21

welcome to PotN. I think you will like it here. :cool:

best of luck with your new gear.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 14, 2012 22:27 |  #22

Welcome to POTN. Your comments about the TSE lens are an understatement. Just wait til you see the sharpness of that lens using LiveView on a tripod. I think your thought process is similar to that of many of us who stuck with Canon despite the new MP Nikon sensor and shadow detail of the D800. It's the whole package that you have to consider.

I knew the talk about the AF on the 5D3 when I bought it, but I had an experience a while ago that proved it. I was walking down a pedestrian mall on a weekend, with the camera on my hand with a wrist strap. I suddenly noticed a little girl riding a scooter,with her face completely made up by a street artist as an animal. I didn't have time to bring the camera to my eye, and just lifted it and shot toward her face as she whizzed by on the scooter.

The result was the best street shot that I've ever gotten, I couldn't have posed it better, and in razor-sharp focus. It'll take a lot to beat the Canon AF, and I'm sure Canon will have a response to the high MP sensor and shadow detail on the next leapfrog body release.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,294 posts
Gallery: 498 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 14, 2012 23:24 |  #23

Welcome to Canon! Good to see some new blood around here given the folks going to Nikon!

Lenses are the biggest reason i WONT go to Nikon, or rather what holds me back from switching.. Just love my L stuff too much

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

KibblesNbitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 14, 2012 23:38 |  #24

I'm really excited to switch! I'm going crazy over here..I hate waiting for this kind of thing, and the fact that I could sell my Nikon stuff right now and buy the Canon stuff drives me crazy because I know I have to wait another 3 weeks.

I have a shoot this Friday, the last week of October and the first week of November, so theres no way I could get everything sold, new lightly used stuff bought ( I hate buying new when I can get gently used gear and avoid sales tax and the initial depreciation hit) and have it arrive in time, let alone have time to get familiar with Canon stuff.

:(

Plus, did I mention I had a random check I wasn't expecting for $600 show up?! It must be a sign from the Canon gods saying SWITCH! Unfortunately it's just teasing me even more!

I'm more impatient than a kid waiting for Christmas right now!

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 14, 2012 23:47 as a reply to  @ KibblesNbitz's post |  #25

Welcome to the board!

Spot AF and spot metering on my 10 year old 10D is brilliant, it's what I use 99% of the time.

The newer bodies will be even better at it :)

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 15, 2012 06:32 |  #26

KibblesNbitz wrote in post #15123397 (external link)
I'm really excited to switch! I'm going crazy over here..I hate waiting for this kind of thing, and the fact that I could sell my Nikon stuff right now and buy the Canon stuff drives me crazy because I know I have to wait another 3 weeks.

I'm more impatient than a kid waiting for Christmas right now!

Sounds like G.A.S.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 15, 2012 07:29 |  #27

Excellent and well thought-out first post.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new setup.
It will be as good as you expect it and more! :)

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

montgoma
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 15, 2012 09:12 as a reply to  @ andrikos's post |  #28

Welcome to the club. I'm a wedding and portrait photographer who very reluctantly sold off my 1D Mark IV (that was my baby) and a 5D Mark III that just didn't do it for me to get the 1DX and I gotta say, it lives up to the hype. For once, I really trust leaving my camera on Servo 95% of the time. The network cable function works and talks directly to my laptop (crossover cable). And as usual, the colors are dead on. By day, I'm an engineer for a nuclear fuel manufacturer and when I picked the camera up at FedEx at lunch last week, I snapped a few shots and I honestly thought about giving my 2 wks notice :) It's that good. Welcome and happy shooting!

---------------
1DX, 40D, Canon: 16-35L, 70-200 L IS II, 100; Tamron: 24-70 VC; Sigma: 50 1.4, 600EX-RT, ST-EX-RT, Einstein 640, Cybersyncs, and my MVP - Sekonic L478

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 15, 2012 09:51 |  #29

Otta wrote in post #15122345 (external link)
cps service in the uk has been brilliant .

Only had the misfortune to have to use them once and they were quick.

They also cleaned both my camera's sensors on the spot, completely free, the day of the royal wedding. Nice :)

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

Johnny ­ V
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 15, 2012 10:06 |  #30

KibblesNbitz wrote in post #15119676 (external link)
Hey everybody!...
-Service: Now, I'm not so excited about having to pay for CPS, but the Canon Service is a big deal to me. In fact, its one of the biggest plusses for my switch to Canon. Why? Well, one of Canon's service centers is in Jamesburg, NJ. Thats literally 15-20 minutes max from me. Being able to drop off and pick up my CPS service/repairs will be a HUGE benefit. I understand it will still take a few days for repairs regardless, but the 1 or 2 days I would normally lose in shipping is a big deal when I'm bouncing back and forth with photoshoots/weddings. It'll be nice to drop off a camera or lens for a quick cleaning though. I hear CPS gives a discount on 1DX's (on the platinum level I think), which would be great to take advantage of. Unfortunately, in order to switch to get into platinum CPS I need to have the 50 points, which I won't have unless I get the 1DX. So, I cant get the discounted 1DX because I need the 1DX to get the discount. Womp womp womp.....Oh well, I'm still excited about having a repair center local to me!

This is a big one for me! I live about 40 minutes from Jamesburg. Everyone is really nice and friendly. I have yet to pay for a repair. Had a 6 year old 70-200 f4L take a dump and Canon replaced all the rear elements at no charge. I'm not even a CPS member and turn around time is only 2 days.

Fear the Gear! Canon 5D3/6D/50D/T2i/EOS-M; 17-40L f4; 70-200 f4; 50 f1.4; 18-55 f3.5 IS; Sigma 85 f1.4; Tamron 85 f1.8; Canon 35 f2-IS; 580EX; Comet Strobes; Smugmug 20% Discount  (external link)

sponsored links

7,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm switching to Canon...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.