Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Oct 2012 (Monday) 12:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I pushed the button!

StarBlazer
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 15, 2012 16:25 as a reply to  @ post 15126146 |  #16

I hope to get something along those lines one day. Part of my bargain is I have to prove I deserve these lenses before I can even mention any other kit.

HELP me jump the learning curve people! I know next to nothing about how to produce amazing landscapes.

EOS 7D | EOS 350d | EF-S 10-22mm | EF-S 18-135mm IS | EF 70-210 f/4 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | EF 50mm f/1.8 MKI | EF 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS | Σ 2x APO EX DG TC |
Celestron C9.25 | Vixen Sphinx SXD

sponsored links
alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 15, 2012 18:14 |  #17

I have the 100L and the 17-55, my wife hates them. She claims they show her every wrinkle, but she loves the images of the grandkids. They are great lenses. -rick

Brendo666 wrote in post #15125405 (external link)
I love my 100L I will never sell II is so versatile and sooooooooo sharp!

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 15, 2012 18:33 |  #18

alazgr8 wrote in post #15126695 (external link)
I have the 100L and the 17-55, my wife hates them. She claims they show her every wrinkle, but she loves the images of the grandkids. They are great lenses. -rick

One does have to be careful to not get tooo much detail when using it as a portrait lens. Haha

-Brendan B.
Graphic Designer | Photographer
5D III | 5D III | Σ 35 1.4 Art | 35 1.4L | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8L | 135 2L
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

TheLensGuy
598 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 15, 2012 18:42 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

StarBlazer wrote in post #15125347 (external link)
In a moment of weakness I've just ordered the EF 100mm f.2.8L and the EF-S 10-22. It took much skill to convince the wife that a 7d was wasted without this glass and endlessly showing her some of the fantastic shots in the gallery.

So I want to humbly thank all the contributors to the lens gallery subforum, your time and efforts are much appreciated :cool:

If I can resist the urge to shred the box straight away, unboxing pics to follow in a few days...

I'm sorry, why do you have to convince your wife to buy something you want? Do you not earn enough to buy something you want for your hobby? Why do you need her permission? (ignore if you don't make any money and she pays for everything)

Davisje011
45 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 15, 2012 18:54 |  #20

TheLensGuy wrote in post #15126806 (external link)
I'm sorry, why do you have to convince your wife to buy something you want? Do you not earn enough to buy something you want for your hobby? Why do you need her permission? (ignore if you don't make any money and she pays for everything)

There's always one like you in a thread like this...

Canon 5D Mk III - 16-35mm f2.8L II - 24-70mm f2.8L II - 70-200mm f2.8L IS II - 2x Extender III - 600EX-RT - 430EX II - BG-E11

Simpleboy
197 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 15, 2012 18:58 |  #21

Some people enjoy being married! ;)

I know I know, its crazy, but its true!

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,200 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 15, 2012 18:59 |  #22

First, whether GF or wife (especially wife), finances aren't just solely your own anymore, well at least they shouldn't. Everything becomes a decision the two of you have to make no matter who makes more money. If financial issues did come up, and it shows that you purchased thousands of dollars worth of stuff without talking with your SO, how well do you think that will go?

Secondly, why does it matter?

EDIT: oh and StarBlazer, I'm very jealous of your two purchases.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

TheLensGuy
598 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 15, 2012 19:01 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

Davisje011 wrote in post #15126842 (external link)
There's always one like you in a thread like this...

?

I was very serious, not trying to be an ass. I can freely buy anything I want and so can my wife, I don't understand this "I had to convince my wife" logic that I seem to have been seeing more and more recently. Again, I don't know the details, obviously if the OP is unemployed and the wife pays for the bills, then I retract what I said.

TheLensGuy
598 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 15, 2012 19:02 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

CJCMarquez wrote in post #15126866 (external link)
First, whether GF or wife (especially wife), finances aren't just solely your own anymore, well at least they shouldn't. Everything becomes a decision the two of you have to make no matter who makes more money. If financial issues did come up, and it shows that you purchased thousands of dollars worth of stuff without talking with your SO, how well do you think that will go?

Secondly, why does it matter?

EDIT: oh and StarBlazer, I'm very jealous of your two purchases.

There is "letting her know" and there is "asking for her permission". Two entirely different things.

Again, for my family, it's a two way street, my wife does the same to me. She does let me know of her purchases, but she doesn't need to ask for my permission.

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 15, 2012 19:18 as a reply to  @ TheLensGuy's post |  #25

If you like macro, you will love your 100L.

I just picked up the 100L Saturday and have been playing with it. I had (have) the 100mm non-L non-USM (I have had it since before the USM and the L were ever made) and loved it for macro. I am so loving this new L version. With the IS (plus new for me USM and the ability to use a tripod collar), it will definitely serve more than just macro duty. By the way tripod collar ordered Sunday.

Congratulations and enjoy your new lenses!

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

Simpleboy
197 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 15, 2012 19:28 |  #26

TheLensGuy wrote in post #15126882 (external link)
There is "letting her know" and there is "asking for her permission". Two entirely different things.

Again, for my family, it's a two way street, my wife does the same to me. She does let me know of her purchases, but she doesn't need to ask for my permission.

Maybe they are not as well off as you and cant just go around spending lots of money without discussing it?

StarBlazer
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 16, 2012 00:59 |  #27

Brendo666 wrote in post #15126765 (external link)
One does have to be careful to not get tooo much detail when using it as a portrait lens. Haha

Any tips on how to avoid showing too many wrinkles? I guess good even lighting!?!

@TheLensGuy mine is obviously a choice. My wife is my conscience and I trust her common sense more than my own. Sharing decisions is a fundamental part of what marriage means to me, but of course we are both free to do anything we want.

@everoneElse sorry, is this a photography forum or Alcoholics Anonymous lol

EOS 7D | EOS 350d | EF-S 10-22mm | EF-S 18-135mm IS | EF 70-210 f/4 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | EF 50mm f/1.8 MKI | EF 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS | Σ 2x APO EX DG TC |
Celestron C9.25 | Vixen Sphinx SXD

gacon1
635 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 16, 2012 14:15 |  #28

StarBlazer wrote in post #15128201 (external link)
Any tips on how to avoid showing too many wrinkles? I guess good even lighting!?!

Photoshop CS

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 16, 2012 14:51 |  #29

Soft, flatter lighting should help minimize wrinkles.

Sometimes I wonder that too.

Neil

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 16, 2012 15:16 |  #30

I don't think it is AA, they are supposed to help you not drink. This Forum doesn't help me not spend on more lenses, it makes me go out and spend on more/better lenses. It's the reverse!

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

sponsored links

3,754 views & 0 likes for this thread
I pushed the button!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.