Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Oct 2012 (Sunday) 22:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lee Big Stopper 10-stop 4x4 ND filter scalpers

baj2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 15, 2012 20:23 |  #16

cdo221 wrote in post #15125744 (external link)
OP, I've sold around 7 or 8 Big Stoppers at-cost for $180 shipped/insured here (one of them to Nathan). I encourage you to sell your 3 when you get them at cost as well to the forum to help discourage the practice. I think the few that I've sold have discouraged a lot of sales at $230+ prices but the more people do it, the better.

My p.s. was a lame attempt at humor ;) I don't have 3 on order... but if I did I'd do as you did and sell them at my actual cost plus shipping.

sponsored links
baj2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 15, 2012 20:32 |  #17

Raylon wrote in post #15126264 (external link)
Supply and demand. I don't really see the issue. If people are willing to pay the price, let them. Why exactly did you buy 3 of them if you are just selling the other 2?

So taking advantage of colleges, associates, friends, and people with whom you share a common interest, in a place that is geared toward helping your fellow photographers is "ok" with you? Hmm... glad to know that for future reference... and supply and demand is not always right... is it "ok" to charge $10 for a $1 gallon of drinking water the day after a natural disaster happens that makes fresh water unobtainable?

As far as selling two out of three I thought I made that quite clear in the OP:

"...they are buying them in sets of 3 (or more). Why a set of 3 you ask..? well it's all math. You buy 3 for $465 and sell 2 of them for $240 each plus PP fees you make $480 + 3%, so after shipping costs you get yours for free (it's no coincidence that they're asking ~$235 - $240... do the math)."

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 15, 2012 20:46 |  #18

Bad analogy. You need water the day after a natural disaster. You don't need 10-stop filter. There is always alternative product as well.

Simple solution. Don't buy the overpriced item.

baj2k wrote in post #15127237 (external link)
So taking advantage of colleges, associates, friends, and people with whom you share a common interest, in a place that is geared toward helping your fellow photographers is "ok" with you? Hmm... glad to know that for future reference... and supply and demand is not always right... is it "ok" to charge $10 for a $1 gallon of drinking water the day after a natural disaster happens that makes fresh water unobtainable?

"...they are buying them in sets of 3 (or more). Why a set of 3 you ask..? well it's all math. You buy 3 for $465 and sell 2 of them for $240 each plus PP fees you make $480 + 3%, so after shipping costs you get yours for free (it's no coincidence that they're asking ~$235 - $240... do the math)."

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

baj2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 15, 2012 20:51 |  #19

Hogloff wrote in post #15124397 (external link)
I'll ask you this. Hypothetical situation. If you bought your house 20 years ago for say $150,000 and today it's market value is $450,000, would you sell that house to a friend for your original purchase price of $150,000?

First, the 20 years makes a big difference since money is worth less over time, and building supplies cost more over time. But in your "hypothetical" (if I did the math correctly :shock:) you'd be making about 3.3% per year on your investment which is approximately what inflation runs at on average during a good economy. So, roughly speaking, you'd be selling your house for about what you paid for it in inflation adjusted dollars. Apples and oranges... :cool:

baj2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 15, 2012 20:59 |  #20

liupublic wrote in post #15127285 (external link)
Bad analogy. You need water the day after a natural disaster. You don't need 10-stop filter. There is always alternative product as well.

Simple solution. Don't buy the overpriced item.

You're missing the point entirely... it's not the fact that you "can" do it but rather "why" would you do it here, in this venue, which is geared toward helping your colleges...

And you don't need water. You could survive the rest of your life without drinking a single drop of water. There are thousands of other beverages that contain H20 that are not water... beer for instance :cool:

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 15, 2012 21:17 |  #21

Sounds like you want to be the morality monitor of these forums. I think the forum rules have made it very clear. No negative feedback and no price policing. There are many good reasons for this.

We are not dealing with life saving medicine or necessity. Just bunch of camera equipment. A buyer is not holding a gun to seller's head to force anyone to buy anything. If the price is too high, no buyer will pay it.

If a buyer is willing to pay an extra 30% to not wait in line like everyone else, he is welcome to it. If Lee filter is smart, they should jack up the price 50% and reduce the line a bit.

baj2k wrote in post #15127351 (external link)
You're missing the point entirely... it's not the fact that you "can" do it but rather "why" would you do it here, in this venue, which is geared toward helping your colleges...

And you don't need water. You could survive the rest of your life without drinking a single drop of water. There are thousands of other beverages that contain H20 that are not water... beer for instance :cool:

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

Raylon
Goldmember
1,078 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 15, 2012 21:20 |  #22

baj2k wrote in post #15127237 (external link)

I understand the point of buying three, but why exactly did YOU buy 3 of them?

It's perfectly acceptable to me. If you have an item that is worth more than you paid for it because it's in demand, you sell it for more. I don't really understand the problem. Yes I understand they are in short supply and some people get more than others.

But life isn't fair and you are paying a whole $60 (oh noes!) for a filter for a camera to make pictures look darker, and you are comparing this situation to price gouging water after a natural disaster?? My God grow up and look around and see how privileged you are to be able to afford to do this as a hobby or a profession, when in other places of the world people can't actually get water. I thank God every day that I can live such a good life and capture memories with a good camera. So friggin grow up and stop complaining about this stupid bullcrap.

And the word is colleagues, not colleges.

/Rant

7D l Canon 70-200 f/4L IS l Canon 85mm f/1.8 l ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 l Canon 50mm f/1.8 II l S95
Full Gear List and Marketplace Feedback
My SmugMug (external link)

baj2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 15, 2012 23:20 |  #23

Raylon wrote in post #15127449 (external link)
I understand the point of buying three, but why exactly did YOU buy 3 of them?

It's perfectly acceptable to me. If you have an item that is worth more than you paid for it because it's in demand, you sell it for more. I don't really understand the problem. Yes I understand they are in short supply and some people get more than others.

But life isn't fair and you are paying a whole $60 (oh noes!) for a filter for a camera to make pictures look darker, and you are comparing this situation to price gouging water after a natural disaster?? My God grow up and look around and see how privileged you are to be able to afford to do this as a hobby or a profession, when in other places of the world people can't actually get water. I thank God every day that I can live such a good life and capture memories with a good camera. So friggin grow up and stop complaining about this stupid bullcrap.

And the word is colleagues, not colleges.

/Rant

Thanks for the spelling help, apparently my spell checker is as good as your calculator... $240 - $155 = $85 not $60

And, I hope some day when I "grow up" I can be as tolerant and as enlightened as you are so that I won't feel compelled to comment, or do anything for that matter, when I see others taking advantage of people. I'm sure the world will be a better place when we all just "grow up"... ;)

And, for the third time, slowly... I didn't buy three... it was a bit of humor to make a point.

Nathan
So boring
7,722 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 15, 2012 23:29 |  #24

Raylon's choice of words and tone are misplaced, but I don't disagree with his sentiment. I appreciate cdo221 for selling me the Big Stopper at cost. Out of respect for that transaction, I am not turning around to sell it to someone else for profit. That said, if I run into a set of Big Stoppers at cost, I probably won't hesitate to purchase a few and try to turn around a profit. It's not personal and people shouldn't turn it into a moral or ethical issue. We're talking about pieces of glass for photographers, not food for the malnourished.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

baj2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 15, 2012 23:34 |  #25

liupublic wrote in post #15127432 (external link)
Sounds like you want to be the morality monitor of these forums. I think the forum rules have made it very clear. No negative feedback and no price policing. There are many good reasons for this.

We are not dealing with life saving medicine or necessity. Just bunch of camera equipment. A buyer is not holding a gun to seller's head to force anyone to buy anything. If the price is too high, no buyer will pay it.

If a buyer is willing to pay an extra 30% to not wait in line like everyone else, he is welcome to it. If Lee filter is smart, they should jack up the price 50% and reduce the line a bit.

"morality monitor"

Haha... good one... far from it... I never said they couldn't do it. I never said ban them. I never said boycott them or "grab the tar and feathers". I never advocated doing anything to anyone. I simply asked why. I agree that the sellers have the right to ask whatever they want, what I'm saying is that just because you have the right to do something doesn't make it right...

Please point me to the negative feedback... or price policing violation... I never once mentioned any names, pointed to any specific "Sell" Forum posts, or pointed to anyone's actual prices. I see people posting comments about ridiculous eBay and Craigslist prices all the time... there's one out there now in the Market Watch about a CL add for $8k for a "complete studio" not worth 1/4 of that and it has two pages of people ridiculing the seller and they have a link...

Nathan
So boring
7,722 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 15, 2012 23:50 |  #26

If you're wondering why people do it on a photography forum, the answer is simple. This is not just a virtual gathering place for photolovers to share their images and lust for gear. This forum is also the gathering place for a target market.

Some enterprising individuals spend time not only buying up high demand Big Stoppers, but also purchase good deals on used gear to flip to other members. If you look at the For Sale forum, there are POTN senior members that are only active on this forum because they sell new and used gear. They made it profitable for them to be members here. For at least some of those people, it's a significant supplement to their usual income and helps them pay the bills. There's no right or wrong when there's a market for it. After all, no one has a right to purchase luxury goods at retail value.

I just purchased a 5D3 today from a guy off of Craigslist. I paid $2850 for it and the Adorama receipt shows that he must have gotten it during the eBay $2750 deal. He made a profit and got to use it at his buddy's wedding. Arguably, he made $200 ($100 profit from me plus $100 cost to rent the camera for a couple of days). Am I down on myself because I didn't get the screaming deal? Perhaps a little. Do I blame him for walking away with a smile on his face? Not at all. He was awake while I was asleep. So be it.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 16, 2012 05:25 |  #27

baj2k wrote in post #15123298 (external link)
These filters, when you can find them, sell new for $155 shipped. Yet some people think it's just fine and dandy to "scalp" them for $240 each in the "Sell" Forum.

And the buyers presumably don't have guns to their foreheads? Their families aren't being held hostage? The seller doesn't have the photos of them with a baby octopus and creamed corn? Indeed, the buyers seem to be under no duress whatsoever. They're happy to buy at that price, the seller is very happy to sell at that price. Indeed, the only unhappy person seems to be you.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 16, 2012 07:56 |  #28

Looking at reaction to the opener, it sounds like there are many market -oriented people here. To many people it is okie to take advantage of people's impatience or stupidity as long as it is legal, it is the way the society operate after all.

A coupe of weeks ago, I also wanted a big stopper and a Lee kit, so I contacted the above mention seller. Of course, I did not pay that kind of mark-up and ended up buying at 2filter at the listed prices. It seems to me, the seller wasted times trying to advertise at different forums but did not sell at that kind of mark-up meanwhile a useful tool sitting out unused. Perhaps, 10-20$ over the listed price would be optimal and the thing would sell. I don't dislike speculators but I dislike hoarders of useful things.

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 16, 2012 08:23 |  #29
bannedBack in 4 months

baj2k wrote in post #15127351 (external link)

Give it a break man. You make it sound like people here will sell their equipment for less just because someone anonymous person hiding behind an web name wants to be your friend. I don't see equipment being sold here any cheaper than anywhere else. In fact, I've sold equipment here at a very good price and I've been asked on many occasions to take less than what I am asking...sort of like a slap in the face.

So take rest with thinking people here are your friend.

baj2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 16, 2012 14:00 |  #30

hollis_f wrote in post #15128654 (external link)
<snip> They're happy to buy at that price, the seller is very happy to sell at that price. Indeed, the only unhappy person seems to be you.

And you know this how? Did they all email you their post purchase glee in a PM... ;) Just because someone buys in to the hype generated on a Forum and thinks they must have something bad enough to pay a ridiculous 30-40% markup doesn't mean their "happy" about it. I'd say most would be much happier if they got it at a fair price rather than being fleeced. Maybe we should take a poll... everyone who is happier when paying 30-40% more than retail please raise your hand...

And me... I'm as happy as can be... it doesn't make me unhappy to see people take advantage of others it just make me wonder why... if you think it's "ok" well good for you... I don't... and I have a right to say so just like you have a right to disagree...

sponsored links

3,850 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lee Big Stopper 10-stop 4x4 ND filter scalpers
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.