Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Oct 2012 (Sunday) 22:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lee Big Stopper 10-stop 4x4 ND filter scalpers

baj2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 16, 2012 14:08 |  #31

Nathan wrote in post #15127966 (external link)
If you're wondering why people do it on a photography forum, the answer is simple. This is not just a virtual gathering place for photolovers to share their images and lust for gear. This forum is also the gathering place for a target market.

Some enterprising individuals spend time not only buying up high demand Big Stoppers, but also purchase good deals on used gear to flip to other members. If you look at the For Sale forum, there are POTN senior members that are only active on this forum because they sell new and used gear. They made it profitable for them to be members here. For at least some of those people, it's a significant supplement to their usual income and helps them pay the bills. There's no right or wrong when there's a market for it. After all, no one has a right to purchase luxury goods at retail value.

I just purchased a 5D3 today from a guy off of Craigslist. I paid $2850 for it and the Adorama receipt shows that he must have gotten it during the eBay $2750 deal. He made a profit and got to use it at his buddy's wedding. Arguably, he made $200 ($100 profit from me plus $100 cost to rent the camera for a couple of days). Am I down on myself because I didn't get the screaming deal? Perhaps a little. Do I blame him for walking away with a smile on his face? Not at all. He was awake while I was asleep. So be it.

Yes, but that's a 4% markup... not really taking advantage so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I were you... the Lee markups however are about ~35% so would you still be only a "little" down on yourself if you had paid $3712 which is +35% and found out he paid $2750... I'm thinking not...

sponsored links
aegid
506 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 16, 2012 14:12 |  #32

If the market would have supported selling at that higher price they'd be selling it for that amount. Canon makes enough of them and various sellers clearance enough of them that such a price is not happening. Lee can't. Supply and demand.

5d3,17-40,24-105,24 1.4,85 1.4,70-200 2.8 is ii

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,538 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 16, 2012 14:22 |  #33

You can only blame the fish that buy them for the marked up price, they are the ones getting suckered, not the sellers IMHO :).

Remember what you're mommy and daddy told you, "Just say NO!" :)

Canon 5D IV | Canon 6D | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | ∑ 85 Art | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 16, 2012 14:35 |  #34

Before we start getting into flame wars remember this.

The POTN MarketPlace operates on FREE MARKET principles.

Sellers are free to offer at any price they see fit. Buyers are free to accept or reject the seller's price.

NO ONE is free to comment on the price in the For Sale thread.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,538 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 16, 2012 14:39 |  #35

^^ this sounds fair to me!

Canon 5D IV | Canon 6D | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | ∑ 85 Art | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

Nathan
So boring
7,722 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 16, 2012 15:46 |  #36

baj2k wrote in post #15130312 (external link)
Yes, but that's a 4% markup... not really taking advantage so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I were you... the Lee markups however are about ~35% so would you still be only a "little" down on yourself if you had paid $3712 which is +35% and found out he paid $2750... I'm thinking not...

I'm not down because I walked away from those high prices. My friend, on the other hand, purchased his on eBay at a marked up auction price. He's not down either, because he was willing to pay the premium. The auction format illustrates the price point at which the market is willing to bear for these filters. How do you argue with all those people who are willing to pay above retail, regardless of what percentage that might be? When you talk numbers, where are you going to draw the line?

Let's talk baseball cards. I don't know if they are as much a collector's hobby today as they used to be, but people would pay a huge mark up over the literal cost of a card because of the rarity of it. Now, why shouldn't someone who's an adoring baseball fan of a favorite player not be able to purchase the card at a fraction of the price of a pack of cards? Supply and demand, that's why.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 16, 2012 16:15 |  #37

baj2k wrote in post #15130279 (external link)
ust because someone buys in to the hype generated on a Forum and thinks they must have something bad enough to pay a ridiculous 30-40% markup doesn't mean their "happy" about it.

If somebody buys something on the forum and isn't happy about it then they have just one person to blame, and it isn't the seller.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 16, 2012 18:20 |  #38

baj2k wrote in post #15130279 (external link)
and I have a right to say so just like you have a right to disagree...

That's incorrect. Forum rule clearly states that price policing is not allowed.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 16, 2012 18:49 |  #39

liupublic wrote in post #15131232 (external link)

This is a discussion. The opener did not go into any particular post price policing.

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 16, 2012 19:36 |  #40

He can say it here. He cannot say it in a For Sale thread.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

baj2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 16, 2012 19:51 |  #41

Wrong, the Forum rules prohibit posting pricing comments in the sellers "For Sale" thread or anywhere in the Buy & Sell Forums. I never mentioned any thread, seller, buyer, retailer, POTN member, etc. If I had violated the rules this thread would be gone, and most likely me too since Skip has... umm... educated me in the past and my ice is thin. ;)

You can **** about prices everywhere else so long as you don't get specific about the who, what, where's... etc. That being said I'm done. I said my piece. I think taking advantage of people is wrong especially when your hording actions make the situation worse. Doesn't mean you can't do it and it doesn't mean I've never done it.

It's just my opinion and nothing posted here has changed that (and don't bother posting that tired old sophomoric cliche "opinions are like..." because by posting that you too are stating your opinion so that cliche would cover you as well).

Nathan
So boring
7,722 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 16, 2012 20:27 |  #42

baj2k wrote in post #15131573 (external link)
That being said I'm done. I said my piece. I think taking advantage of people is wrong especially when your hording actions make the situation worse. Doesn't mean you can't do it and it doesn't mean I've never done it.

It's just my opinion and nothing posted here has changed that (and don't bother posting that tired old sophomoric cliche "opinions are like..." because by posting that you too are stating your opinion so that cliche would cover you as well).

I'm willing to discuss the topic, as I believe I have. However, nothing that has been said across the aisle has swayed me, either. I suppose I'm utilitarian in my approach to this question. You think that people in the market purchasing and reselling these filters make the situation worse. I disagree upon that very notion. As a policy matter, the supplier should increase production in order to meet the demand.

I suppose what I'm saying is that the retail price on these filters are artificially low. I don't know why Lee Filters has not increased production, but I would imagine that a slight increase in production would create additional profit for the company and put out greater supply and allow prices to moderate a bit.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

dadgummit
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 17, 2012 14:37 |  #43

There are low life people under every rock so the scalping does not surprize me, though I feel it is unethical. Just a week ago there was a Canon 24-70L II on the FM forum for $2700. same thing...

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

545iBMW
473 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 17, 2012 14:52 |  #44

This is my opinion and my observation, any forum site that specialize on something (i.e. photo forum, automobile forum, etc) that has a buy and sell section will mostly have hyped up prices. Why? Supply and demand. People gather to a photo forum so they are more than likely to read about a specific product, product gets hyped, draws attention and therefore, price gets hyped.

There's pros and cons to this. Big plus for me is: I can afford to buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of photo equipment and my loss/depreciation is very minimal (except for bodies). I think 90% of the members here will not buy a $2,000 lens if the resale value after a few months is $1,000 - and that includes me.

Photography is a very expensive hobby. Majority of us would want to make money from it if the opportunity arises but like they say, if you want to make money from photography, sell your gear.

baj2k
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 17, 2012 23:19 |  #45

Agreed. Very expensive hobby. The old joke applies... how do you become a million dollar photographer? Start with 2 million dollars...

sponsored links

3,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lee Big Stopper 10-stop 4x4 ND filter scalpers
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.