Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 17:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Qimage- get it or not?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 16, 2012 17:34 |  #1

I'm thinking about getting Qimage but I have 2 concerns:
I'm a little put off by their web site; it seems to be saying, "We have a new, all-in-one Qimage and if you bought one of the previous versions, we don't care about you anymore unless you buy the new one."
I'm also a little unsure what it actually is. Because it says it's "printing software" but then it talks about RAW support, which sounds like an editor.

I know a lot of people like it so I'd really be interested in knowing what you use it for. I'd also really be interested if somebody thinks it's not worth the money, which is now $90.
Thanks

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 16, 2012 19:22 |  #2

Since you don't even know what is I don't know why you're considering buying it.

What are you trying to achieve?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,518 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 16, 2012 19:34 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #3

If you think you need it, why not download their free 14-day trial ?

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 16, 2012 19:36 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #4

I'm always interested in better easier post-processing and I'm especially intrigued by their claims about superior sharpening. The reason I said I don't know what it is that their home page says it's printing software but it lists a lot of features that have to do with raw processing, which comes a bit before printing. But it doesn't seem to mention anything else that has to do with PP; so I'm unclear.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 16, 2012 19:37 |  #5

Wallace River wrote in post #15131515 (external link)
If you think you need it, why not download their free 14-day trial ?

Yes, the next step. Just trying to get info from people who've actually experienced it.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 17, 2012 07:14 |  #6

It used to be a RIP. If it weren't PC only, I'd probably own it.
Seems they added a raw converter now, no idea why that would be useful, since many people already own a raw converter and have a set workflow… Seems they try to answer that in their FAQ though…

Maybe the video section is helpful: http://www.ddisoftware​.com/qimage-u/learn.htm (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 17, 2012 07:46 |  #7

Ok... So basically a RIP is a type of program that bypasses your printer driver and uses its own code for printing. Now, QI isn't a true RIP in that it doesn't actually use custom drivers the way Imageprint or Colorburst do, but it does ignore typical limitations imposed by Windows or Photoshop for printing either gigantic or a large number of images, so it's more of a "print manager".

To give you an example of what it can do, imagine you need to, for some reason, print 200 images. You need them all properly cropped, scaled, sharpened and printed using proper profiles and color managed. Maybe you even need a good bunch of them with light color correction. Good luck finding an application that will do all that for you in about 5 minutes of setup time.

In theory, you can do some of these things in Lightoom, which also has a fairly flexible print manager, but LR does lack some parameters for fine-tuning the print job, and most importantly, depends on the Windows print spooler, which will explode if you queue up more than a couple dozen images.

As for superior sharpening, what QI implies with that is that you don't have to worry about any image parameters like what size the image is or how big it's going to be printed, QI, once configured, will automatically take into account your printer's resolution and medium and applies the scaling and sharpening it determines necessary, within the threshold you have setup beforehand.

Finally, the reason it has a raw converter is bacause QI was around before even Lightroom existed, and photographers who needed a fast turn-around could simply load their raws in, quickly apply some global adjustments and start making prints; it's still faster than LR today because it doesn't require a catalog. This is useful if you're, say, a sports photographer who has an assistant with a laptop and portable printer on the ready to make prints of the game as you're shooting.

Qimage is pretty deep to get into, but 90% of the parameters are set-and-forget types that you only configure once for your hardware and print preferences, after that it's all about setting paper size, type, and the layout of images on each sheet.

Edit: Also, DDI has pretty much had free updates/support for QI for a long long time, but Ultimate is too different to be considered a direct upgrade to the previous versions. Adobe screws people out of their money on a regular basis and no one complains.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 17, 2012 09:02 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #8

Thank you very much; good info.
And actually, I do complain about Adobe; a lot!

René, thanks; I'll try the video. I'm having LOTS of trouble with the UI in the photo editing part; maybe the video will help with that.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 17, 2012 10:33 |  #9

ncjohn wrote in post #15133438 (external link)
Thank you very much; good info.
And actually, I do complain about Adobe; a lot!

René, thanks; I'll try the video. I'm having LOTS of trouble with the UI in the photo editing part; maybe the video will help with that.

Well, I guess it's not so much that people don't complain, so much as people complain but end up buying the software anyway. Admittedly, I think Adobe is the only company that can get away with something like that.

As for the UI, I agree, it's never been a strong point of Qimage. The older versions look like something a basement programmer put together in 1999.

Ultimately, QI is for photographers who not only shoot in volume, but print in volume as well. If you make only a few prints a week or less, there's nothing wrong with toiling away in Photoshop for an hour to get your print pixel-perfect, but if you ever have to deal with big sizes and volumes, you will appreciate what QI can do; particularly since there are almost no competing options besides the print tab in Lightroom.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,618 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 17, 2012 17:26 |  #10

I've seen Mac users complain on the Qimage forum that thay had to get a PC only to be able to use this software...

Print quality is great, thanks to their excellent proprietary resizing algorithms and the fact that Qimage queries the printer driver and resamples the picture (on the fly) to the exact size the driver requires for the job at hand, so there is no need for the driver to perform the additional size-matching run with its own lesser algorithm.

I have an old no-raw version and the UI is a pain indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if there was still some function hidden somewhere that I haven't discovered yet.

sponsored links

3,461 views & 0 likes for this thread
Qimage- get it or not?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.