Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 09 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 12:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

first wedding shots

bartc
Goldmember
1,856 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 09, 2012 12:20 |  #1

my sister shot my sister in laws wedding this past weekend...man thats a mouthful... she let me tag alone and take some pics between her shots... i know the IQ is kinda crappy... my stupid rebel xt is stuck in iso 800 and wouldnt let me go any lower so there was alot of noise i had to clean u in light room giving it a soft focus effect..... i know theres quite a few pictures here.. but all im looking for is some C&C on the composition more then anything else

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Emily&Josh (19 of 50) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Emily&Josh (30 of 50) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Emily&Josh (20 of 50) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Emily&Josh (41 of 50) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Emily&Josh (48 of 50) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Emily&Josh (11 of 50) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Emily&Josh (26 of 50) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

-Bart
5D mk3 gripped |EF 28-70mm F2.8L | EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS | A Big @ss lightbank...and all sorts of modifiers

http://bartcepekphotog​raphy.com (external link)

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 10, 2012 00:10 |  #2

like #6 best

ChrisHutch1
49 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 10, 2012 03:05 |  #3

Nice set.

Canon 60D, 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 75-300mm, Sigma 105mm Macro

bartc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,856 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 10, 2012 11:15 as a reply to  @ ChrisHutch1's post |  #4

thxs was a bit nerve racking waiting to see what people thought... gotta say i had a blast doing these

-Bart
5D mk3 gripped |EF 28-70mm F2.8L | EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS | A Big @ss lightbank...and all sorts of modifiers

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 10, 2012 16:14 |  #5

#4 would be genuinely fantastic with some more PP work.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 11, 2012 12:25 |  #6

1-I think the pose is fine. I think your vantage point is a little low here--this combined with the wider angle kind of distorts their forms a little, making their lower halves seem disproportionately large. Good instinct to get them out of the direct + harsh + spotty light; but I'd like them in a more symmetrical setting, I think (ie. more square with the background railing). The shot is underexposed IFF you're not adding a fill flash, which I would definitely have. If you were resigned to shooting ambient, you needed at least a stop more of light to expose well (I'm looking at the skin tones when assessing this).
2-Clumsy composition, framing. If the shot is about the ring, hands, make the shot cleaner by 1) getting closer 2) shooting large aperture 3) positioning so background is cleaner / darker. I would have had them sit, had his hand on her lap, her hand over his, with only her dress, his pants as background to the shot.
3-Cute behind the scenes shot. Exposure off--underexposed (look at skin tones).
4-Composition is fine, I think. Well exposed ONLY if you had lit her up with a flash. She is the subject here, your lighting needs to bring that out. If nature ain't doing that, you need to do it.
5-I don't like the centered comp here, especially with him looking out of the frame.
6-Color balance is decent. It looks slightly underexposed to me. And her eyes are closed.
7-I see what you did with the composition / framing here with the column. Good instinct. I think there's too much headroom here.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

jkru617
220 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 12, 2012 09:03 |  #7

Looks good. i would recommend some off camera flash for next go around.

bartc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,856 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 12, 2012 17:25 as a reply to  @ jkru617's post |  #8

thank you all for the tips and comments i was using a on camera flash(580ex II) with a diffuser pobably should have used more ower but i was really hard to tell on the crappy screen of the rebel xt...

-Bart

Pixil ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,270 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 16, 2012 18:24 |  #9

skin tones are dark and yes the rebel isnt a pro level camera and LR can only take you so far

Denver wedding and event photographer (external link)
My photography Blog (external link)

dawssvt
406 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 16, 2012 23:37 |  #10

I would try to do less from below the couple next time. Overall-well done!

St. Louis, MO Portrait and Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Smugmug (external link)

bartc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,856 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 17, 2012 20:08 |  #11

Pixil Studio wrote in post #15131248 (external link)
skin tones are dark and yes the rebel isnt a pro level camera and LR can only take you so far

ya didnt like that rebel should have my 7d in the next month or so

-Bart

bartc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,856 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 17, 2012 20:09 |  #12

dawssvt wrote in post #15132386 (external link)
I would try to do less from below the couple next time. Overall-well done!

thxs...

-Bart

bartc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,856 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 18, 2012 14:48 as a reply to  @ bartc's post |  #13

i did some more PP work on a few above and a few new ones let me know if im on the right track

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Wedding (30) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Wedding (37) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Wedding (63) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Wedding (59) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Wedding (34) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Wedding (29) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Wedding (31) (external link) by cepekpics (external link), on Flickr

-Bart

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 18, 2012 16:01 |  #14

Watch out for things growing out of their head.

The 7D is a pretty sweet camera, especially for wild life and action. But if you do mainly stills grab a 5D MII. I had to sell my 7D this summer because my son got that fungal menenjitis and we were in the hospital 5 weeks, but now after searching the forum thouroughly I am going to be buying a 5D MII next week or so. The 7D makes excellent pictures but I feel like I am missing something by not having full frame, and better DOF. I will miss the 7D focus though. I do mostly people and stills so I think it is a wise choice for me.

I will be purchasing it through canon loyalty program with a 24-105mm L so I can save a few $100. My 7D was from there and it was basically new when I got it.

bartc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,856 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 18, 2012 16:12 |  #15

Daship wrote in post #15139814 (external link)
Watch out for things growing out of their head.

The 7D is a pretty sweet camera, especially for wild life and action. But if you do mainly stills grab a 5D MII. I had to sell my 7D this summer because my son got that fungal menenjitis and we were in the hospital 5 weeks, but now after searching the forum thouroughly I am going to be buying a 5D MII next week or so. The 7D makes excellent pictures but I feel like I am missing something by not having full frame, and better DOF. I will miss the 7D focus though. I do mostly people and stills so I think it is a wise choice for me.

I will be purchasing it through canon loyalty program with a 24-105mm L so I can save a few $100. My 7D was from there and it was basically new when I got it.

thxs for pointing that out i didnt catch that... will have to close out some of those....

ya i was gonna go for a 5dmii but i have young kids and wanna do some local high school sports... thats why ill sacrifice a bit of DOF and FF for the awesome focus and burst rate of the 7D... if i had the cash id get the 5dmiii but that a bit out of the budget right now... and i hope your son is doing ok

-Bart

sponsored links

3,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
first wedding shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.