Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 11 Sep 2011 (Sunday) 22:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how to get audio? wedding ceremony

GeminiZ
179 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 04, 2012 20:04 as a reply to  @ post 15071463 |  #16

(2) Rode Lavalier mics hooked up to H4N's should be good.
It's convenient, can be hidden, and picks up quality sound.

(for the bride and groom + whoever you want to place it on)

http://www.amazon.com …-1&keywords=rode+lavali​er (external link)

7D, 400D - 24-70 f/2.8L - 70-200 f/2.8L - 50 f/1.2L - 40 f/2.8 - 10-22 f/3.5

sponsored links
John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 05, 2012 02:27 |  #17

Two H4Ns is an expensive option (and a bulky heavy solution) if all you want to do is record lavs with them. For that money you are well on the way to a wireless solution.

The budget option would be two H1s and I am sure the BnG would be happier carrying them.

The Rode Lav is an expensive option as well considering its only real advantage over cheaper solutions is you can pin the mic head through clothing to the wire/carrier below. I'm sure the bride would be realy happy about that.....or perhaps not.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Orguss
132 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 10, 2012 03:28 |  #18

I have 3 lava mics, 1 on the groom, 1 on the pasteur, 1 on the bride if possible due to the dress and sometimes photographer dont like it so check with them. Two lava mics is channel to zoom h4n (set to pick up all 4 channel recording (eat batteries like sheit) and 3rd lava mics to camcorder or dlsr, if camcorder, both channel used...

GeminiZ
179 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 10, 2012 13:11 |  #19

Orguss wrote in post #15102406 (external link)
I have 3 lava mics, 1 on the groom, 1 on the pasteur, 1 on the bride if possible due to the dress and sometimes photographer dont like it so check with them. Two lava mics is channel to zoom h4n (set to pick up all 4 channel recording (eat batteries like sheit) and 3rd lava mics to camcorder or dlsr, if camcorder, both channel used...

How long would you say the recording/battery time is on your h4n while recording two of the lav's?

7D, 400D - 24-70 f/2.8L - 70-200 f/2.8L - 50 f/1.2L - 40 f/2.8 - 10-22 f/3.5

Orguss
132 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 16, 2012 17:38 |  #20

I normally check the battery levels every two hours but and I'm not worry about wasting batteries, if the levels indicate one bar left, I'm swapping it out, chances are, I won't get to do it later, safe then sorry. Each wedding, I drop by costco and grabbed the AA 48packs $12 bucks..no messing around with rechargeable batteries. I will only use rechargeable AA if I'm dealing with photos.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 17, 2012 06:06 |  #21

Orguss wrote in post #15102406 (external link)
I have 3 lava mics,

Lava mics, are those anything like lava lamps? ;-)a

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 17, 2012 07:21 |  #22

Orguss wrote in post #15131042 (external link)
I normally check the battery levels every two hours but and I'm not worry about wasting batteries, if the levels indicate one bar left, I'm swapping it out, chances are, I won't get to do it later, safe then sorry. Each wedding, I drop by costco and grabbed the AA 48packs $12 bucks..no messing around with rechargeable batteries. I will only use rechargeable AA if I'm dealing with photos.

Ouch, not a big fan of Rechargeable AA's? Nothing to mess around with man, get some name-brands and they work just as well as regular batteries for many many charges. I've been using the same Duracell rechargeables for going on two years in my Sennheiser G3's and H4n. Lots of money saved, lots of planet left for my kids and their kids.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

Orguss
132 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 17, 2012 16:23 |  #23

Channel One wrote in post #15133013 (external link)
Lava mics, are those anything like lava lamps? ;-)a

Wayne

LOL, you know what I mean, my English sucks!

Kento wrote in post #15133150 (external link)
Ouch, not a big fan of Rechargeable AA's? Nothing to mess around with man, get some name-brands and they work just as well as regular batteries for many many charges. I've been using the same Duracell rechargeables for going on two years in my Sennheiser G3's and H4n. Lots of money saved, lots of planet left for my kids and their kids.

I do recycle! Once I get around to it try the rechargeable again. It's just a habit.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 17, 2012 17:41 |  #24

Orguss wrote in post #15131042 (external link)
I normally check the battery levels every two hours but and I'm not worry about wasting batteries, if the levels indicate one bar left, I'm swapping it out, chances are, I won't get to do it later, safe then sorry.

Which is the prime reason why I will never use rechargeable AA cells, to begin with rechargeable cells out of the gate are a few tenths of a volt lower then dry cells and when used as part of a battery pack that adds up real fast, it is like starting our with a half discharged battery pack, then there is the logistics of keeping them in lots based on the placed in use date and the number of times they have been recharged and trying to do that is insane and a time-eater that totally outweighs any benefits a rechargeable cell of that size could possibly offer.

For our uses we simply buy Industrial Energizers which can be had for about $.29 each in quantity, then load up the devices with new cells and dump them out when we are done.

Literally the cost of the cells is so far below my RADAR versus the cost of a missed take it doesn’t even matter to me.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Orguss
132 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 18, 2012 10:25 |  #25

Channel One wrote in post #15135488 (external link)
Which is the prime reason why I will never use rechargeable AA cells, to begin with rechargeable cells out of the gate are a few tenths of a volt lower then dry cells and when used as part of a battery pack that adds up real fast, it is like starting our with a half discharged battery pack, then there is the logistics of keeping them in lots based on the placed in use date and the number of times they have been recharged and trying to do that is insane and a time-eater that totally outweighs any benefits a rechargeable cell of that size could possibly offer.

For our uses we simply buy Industrial Energizers which can be had for about $.29 each in quantity, then load up the devices with new cells and dump them out when we are done.

Literally the cost of the cells is so far below my RADAR versus the cost of a missed take it doesn’t even matter to me.

Wayne

Well said!

sponsored links

4,192 views & 0 likes for this thread
how to get audio? wedding ceremony
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.