Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Confused about one light setup

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 17, 2012 16:00 |  #1

I volunteer for a rescue and have been taking natural light shots. Over the winter I'm looking at making a studio set up. I would like the photographs to be like this:

http://emileefuss.com/​blog/page/4/ (external link)

I know this photog uses an AB800 and softbox, but before that she achieved the same results with a speedlight. I tried with my speedlight, but they just look bland.

I have a 430ex, stand, umbrella, and wireless trigger (manual only, no ttl). Can I achieve something similar and how? Eventually I would like an AB, but since this is volunteer I'm trying to keep cost down.

I also need o get a stand and seamless paper. Would I get the 107"?

sponsored links
545iBMW
473 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 17, 2012 16:05 |  #2

You'll need to shoot at least F/2.8 or wider. And you need a big modifier for your speedlight.
Try shooting at 1/16 power or weaker, move your subject further away from your background and close to your light & camera.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 17, 2012 16:10 |  #3

Get the widest drop that will fit the space you will be working in. Some of those appear to be taken on a thunder gray paper. Pretty popular because its dark enough that its forgiving when you light it. If you dont have any background lights its dark, if you do its light. As opposed to white which looks bad if you dont light it or black which usually requires some separation lighting.

Use your one light right above the camera or slightly off to one side. As for being bland post processing can go a long way toward giving you some pop back.

Toneaero
225 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 17, 2012 16:10 |  #4

Your umbrella and 430ex should have similar looks. Do you have any examples of why your pics look bland?

Before I had my giant octa on an AB1600, I used a 45" shoot thru umbrella with my speedlight with similar results. The key to soft light with an umbrella is the distance between subject and light.

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 17, 2012 16:16 |  #5

I'm on an ipad right now, but will post an example of my photo soon.

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 17, 2012 16:58 as a reply to  @ jeljohns's post |  #6

Here are my attempts.

I don't have seamless paper yet, so this was just paper taped to the wall.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8474/8098190142_dab73cc35e_z.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8464/8098195136_b510ab2a46_z.jpg

The above photos had a slight exposure tweak in LR. The below photo is SOOC.
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8328/8098183799_4e851fd6f2_z.jpg

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 17, 2012 17:00 |  #7

Nothing wrong with those that a better color of paper and a slight adjustment to the direction of the light wouldnt cure. Your SOOC example is underexposed and the blue paper is just too strong, especially when you boost the exposure. BUt all in all not bad.

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 17, 2012 17:07 |  #8

Thanks. What direction should the light be? I had the umbrella placed camera right pretty close to the edge of the paper set at manual 1/8. I had a reflector off to the left, but it didn't seem to do much. In the other photog's example her left side seems more lit, but she only has one light.

*removed link*

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 17, 2012 17:11 |  #9

Link to her shot unless you own it, forum rules. In that shot her light is high and just off the camera axis. I suggest you do the same. With one light, you will have to stay close to the axis to get light on both side of the face. In the shot you posted she is using a large light source as the shadow edges are so soft. You cant match that easily but close enough to be happy with a 40inch umbrella.

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 17, 2012 17:17 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #10

Thanks,

Sorry about the photo, thought because it was watermarked it would be okay.

I'll do some more practice and post for CC.

My umbrella is 45", would I be better off with a soft box?

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 17, 2012 17:19 |  #11

Okay, one more question about the camera axis..

I'm actually moving around a bit, it is not on a tripod, so I'm not dead center the entire time. I'm crouched down in front of the dog but move to the left or right depending on what it does. If the light is too close to me I actually end up blocking it with my body sometimes....?

CanonLearner
184 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 17, 2012 19:12 |  #12

I know this will sound off-topic, but it might be worth mentioning..

The lighting in your top two photos aren't particularly bad or anything, and don't seem far off the white dog pics. It's certainly not different enough to warrant it being an issue. The ''edge'' that the pictures in the link have is more to do with the rest of it. White dog with complimenting dark background (the brown background doesn't work nearly as well IMO). Also, the white dog is always doing something (salivating over biscuits I should imagine). There's also more negative space with the little white dog, making it seem more ''free''' within the space, whereas maybe your own background doesn't give you that freedom. With hers, there's enough space for it to feel like she could be in a park or something, which helps the liveliness.

If you managed a wider field of view and teased your dog into a snarling frenzy, and used a background colour more suitable for the dog, the lighting would appear much more dynamic. The white dog pics have the benefit of a very reduced colour pallette, which you won't achieve without painting your dog another colour.

I'd personally set up the lights/background (big background), make the dog go a bit crazy with the help of an assistant and some dog treats (she MUST have used an assistant for this?) and snap snap snap away. The more fun the better the photos will be. I think the success with the white dog pics is the variety of actions and ''looks'' that the dog is giving, as well as a variety of portrait/landscape orientations.

In the white dog's last picture, it's a good, close shot that makes the head look unusually large.. and that makes the other pics seem better too. It's the full package rather than just the lighting.

Softbox or umbrella? On a personal level I'd go for an umbrella just because it's lighter and simpler.. looking at the dog's eye reflection in the bottom photo it looks like the white dog was lit with a large rectangular softbox.. but don't let that bother you too much!

jdotuk
113 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 17, 2012 22:48 |  #13

You're pretty close! I'd add some sort of fill to the other side of the dog myself. Since dogs tend to look whatever direction that holds their interest this will give you light on both sides no matter what direction they're looking relative to the camera.

It doesn't have to be another speedlite/strobe - a reflector or even some white foamcore board will do the job just fine.

Jeremiah (J.) Mullins
5D & 7D | 35L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 135L | X100s

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 18, 2012 08:31 |  #14

Pull your umbrella back some. That will help even up the lighting as the fall off won't be so noticeable.

I agree the blue is not helping in those photos. Grey or white would be an improvement. They are a little UE and a little cool I think (sometimes hard to tell with dogs).

Also, try not to cut off the front paws.

I'm sure the rescue is glad to have you!

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 18, 2012 08:38 as a reply to  @ nes_matt's post |  #15

Thanks so much for all the advice!!!

I find that he paw crop happens a lot based on two things....I'm shooting with a crop body and dogs love to get up close so it's harder to back up and get everything in frame.

I just ordered a neutral grey background 10x10 to practice more!

sponsored links

2,320 views & 0 likes for this thread
Confused about one light setup
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.