Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 16:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Apeture Vs Photoshop?

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 17, 2012 18:19 |  #16

FWIW the latest versions of iPhoto and Aperture share a common library format, so if you are currently using iPhoto it would be a painless transition to Aperture without even needing to "import" your library.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ender78
466 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 17, 2012 19:27 |  #17

Both Aperture and Lightroom are available as free trials, you can try both for 30 days for free.

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 17, 2012 20:40 |  #18

I use Aperture and recently tried Lightroom (again...gotta keep an eye on the competition). Each application has it's strengths and weaknesses. Here's a summary of what I found. YMMV:
Library management, cataloging, rating, etc (essentially all the stuff you do with your virtual shoebox of photos): IMO Aperture wins this hands down.

Workflow (this is the bucket for all the stuff you *do* with photos): IMO Aperture wins this, but this is largely due to what comes most naturally to you. Lightroom adopts a more "task based" approach that takes form in the task bar (Library, Develop, etc). Again, IMO, Aperture's modeless approach is more flexible and less intrusive into what you actually want to do.

Photo editing (this is the bucket of all the things you might want to do to a photo; e.g. adjust exposure, sharpen, adjust color, etc): IMO, Lightroom has more capabilities and adopts a geekier approach that results in more "control" over the finished image. However, Aperture's brushes are fantastic and integrated into nearly every adjustment you can make. Missing from Aperture are things like gradient filters (a big omission IMO), fine grain control over sharpening and noise reduction, and split toning (another big omission IMO). However, despite these omissions, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that can't be achieved with Aperture via the use of brushes (a huge advantage IMO) or "hacking" presets (which can replicate the gradient filters Lightroom offers). In addition, Lightroom users get lens correction, input file color profiling, and better integration with Photoshop.

Community (this is the value of the larger ecosystem surrounding each application): Lightroom appears to have more plugins/presets available for it as well. In addition, if you need to find a technique for how to achieve a particular look, the Lightroom community is 10-100 times greater than the Aperture community, and the audience that can offer tips/techniques/and other knowledge is far greater.

Performance: Im on an oldish MacPro with a Radeon 5770 and for whatever reason performance in Aperture blows the doors of that of Lightroom. Interactive performance in Aperture with full size 7D RAW files is fluid; interactive performance in Lightroom is way behind and provides a stutter-stop-stutter experience.

Neat Features: IMO, Aperture wins here with better offerings through Faces and Maps (Lightroom has Maps but feels sluggish and tacked on). Lightroom has better features for exporting images (you can apply export sharpening for example). But Apertures soft proofing and printing feel more integrated.

Lastly, with over 20K tagged, organized, mapped, and Faced images, it would be a tall order for Lightroom to make me switch--because the value I place on all this metadata and the ability to use it to search, display, and interact with my images has enormous value. If you don't have this coming in to the decision, it should be a lot easier to choose your tool.

HTH
PP

Canon 1DX Mark II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 AS IF, 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC

GuitarDTO
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 17, 2012 21:15 |  #19

I use Aperture with the Nik Software complete plugin package, and PTLens for correction. Amazing and simple to use for 95% of editing. Photoshop I will consider in the future for the more advanced/creative stuff though. I tried Lightroom. Very similar capability to Aperture, and from what I understand the built in correction tool and noise reduction are big plusses, but that's why I have the Nik plugins. Overall using Aperture is so much more intuitive and smooth to me.

Gear: 5D3, 135L, Sigma 35, 50 1.8 STM, 16-35 F/4L IS, 85/1.8, Fujifilm X100T
Flickr: DavioTheOne (external link)

LPMM
243 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 17, 2012 22:05 |  #20

ender78 wrote in post #15135898 (external link)
Both Aperture and Lightroom are available as free trials, you can try both for 30 days for free.

Where did you find a free trial of Aperture? I am in the same boat trying to decide which one to go with and it is my understanding that the free trial for Aperture is no longer available.

Cheers,
Laurent
POTN Feedback thread FM Feedback page (external link) flickr Page (external link)
5D MK III | SL1 | 300mm ƒ2.8L IS | 70-200mm ƒ2.8L IS II | 24-70mm ƒ2.8L | 2x III Extender | 18-135mm STM

Sitting ­ Elf
147 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 18, 2012 06:23 |  #21

LPMM wrote in post #15136498 (external link)
Where did you find a free trial of Aperture? I am in the same boat trying to decide which one to go with and it is my understanding that the free trial for Aperture is no longer available.

That is correct. When Apple reduced the price of Aperture from $199 to $79 in the App Store, they dropped the free trial program.

That being said, if you plan to ever print photo books, or similar, Aperture's offerings are significantly better than Lightroom's, so there is a reason to own both, even if you use LR for primary processing. Just MHO.

One more thing..... I would wait until at least the 23rd of October before making a final decision. There are some rumblings that it is "Possible" that Apple may announce Aperture 4 at the same time they introduce the new hardware expected at their event on that date. So far, we are expecting announcements of iPad Mini, Mac Mini refresh, iMac refresh, 13' MacBook Pro RETINA. There are reasons to suspect this would be an appropriate time to intro some of their Pro Software at the same time...especially due to Retina introductions in the recent past. Maybe nothing, but there IS a real possibility.

There are pre-orders, and adverts all over bookstores for a Aperture 4 book by John Lewell as well, though the original release date was July, and some sites are stating that it has been delayed to October. Well... here we are in October, and Apple is having a big event on the 23rd, so it's just one more whisper of a possiblity. We'll see.

Bodies: 1Dx, 5D MkII + MkIII, 7D, 50D, SD780IS, | Stability: Gitzo GT5532LS, RRS BH-55, Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 and Monopod
Lenses: Canon 16-35mm/f2.8L ll, 24-70 f/2.8L ll, 24-105mm/f4L, 100-400/f4.5-5.6L, 50mm/1.8 II, 100/2.8L II, 85/1.8 USM, MP-E65/2.8 1-5X, 15mm Fishy, 70-200 2.8L II, 40mm Pancake
Lighting: 580EXII, 430EXII, MT-24EX, MR-14EX

Nick5
Goldmember
3,083 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 18, 2012 08:06 |  #22

Being an Apple guy, Aperture was the logical choice for me over Lightroom. Both are great products. However the flow of Aperture was more familiar to me. Have been using Aperture since January 2009 with no reasons to change.
It's a Canon-Nikon thing.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

LPMM
243 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 18, 2012 11:33 |  #23

Sitting Elf wrote in post #15137540 (external link)
One more thing..... I would wait until at least the 23rd of October before making a final decision. There are some rumblings that it is "Possible" that Apple may announce Aperture 4 at the same time they introduce the new hardware expected at their event on that date.

Thanks for the reply, I am on the fence and I would prefer something fairly easy to use and LR sometimes feels overwhelming when I watch the training videos. Anyway, I am currently using a 2007 iMac and I have been waiting for months to upgrade my hardware in anticipation of an Apple refresh, so the 23rd of this month will hopefully be the day.

Cheers,
Laurent
POTN Feedback thread FM Feedback page (external link) flickr Page (external link)
5D MK III | SL1 | 300mm ƒ2.8L IS | 70-200mm ƒ2.8L IS II | 24-70mm ƒ2.8L | 2x III Extender | 18-135mm STM

Tony ­ Parenti
317 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 18, 2012 11:37 |  #24

I just switched to Capture One Pro. The color rendition vs ACR is enough to make the switch over.

Canon 5d Mk II & III | Canon 35mm 1.4L| Sigma 35mm 1.5 | Canon 50mm 1.2L | Canon 135mm 2L | Alien Bees B800 Strobe & Giant Soft Box | Canon 580EX II

sponsored links

3,951 views & 0 likes for this thread
Apeture Vs Photoshop?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.