Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trying to sell a 17-55mm 2.8 lens ????

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 17, 2012 21:34 |  #31

KnightRT wrote in post #15136359 (external link)
I thought California residents paid tax on online purchases. I guess that hasn't been implemented yet.

it started a month ago...i guess they have to sell more than $1 million to california shoppers...i bought from B&H yesterday, and didn't get charged tax...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Oct 17, 2012 21:37 |  #32

It will sell for what the market will bear. If it is not selling at $800 you will either need to have more patience, keep it or lower the price.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 17, 2012 22:29 |  #33

El Pedro wrote in post #15135009 (external link)
I'm only new to this but I think all used camera gear seems way overpriced. It's used electronics and people expect to recoup near what they paid for it.

I just got a 17-55 new for $900 in Australia, generally things are cheaper in North America.

Lenses are chunks of optical glass, not a few chips in a wrapper like a cell phone, the electronic components of a lens are only a small part of it's value, the real value is in the glass which doesn't really wear with use.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 17, 2012 23:52 |  #34

KnightRT wrote in post #15136359 (external link)
I thought California residents paid tax on online purchases. I guess that hasn't been implemented yet.

only with retailers that have physical prescience in the state. Out of state companies are not affected.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 18, 2012 00:40 |  #35

Keyan wrote in post #15136595 (external link)
Lenses are chunks of optical glass, not a few chips in a wrapper like a cell phone, the electronic components of a lens are only a small part of it's value, the real value is in the glass which doesn't really wear with use.

It's still a used item once it's out the front door of the store. It's not a bad thing to hold value so well but I wouldn't bother buying a more expensive ($750+) second hand lens for the small amount saved. I can buy out of Hong Kong with a 12 month warranty from reputable online sellers for what people are asking in Australia for a used 70-200 f2.8 ii.

For the risk you take buying a used item I think 40-60% of the new price is a more realistic expectation.

hazwing
178 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 18, 2012 00:50 as a reply to  @ El Pedro's post |  #36

+1
I can get a brand new 17-55mm gray market import from hong kong for just under $900. The minor saving is not worth buying it from an unknown source, used.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 18, 2012 03:29 |  #37

I think if you pay for a grey market item, then you can sell for lower as you wont be loosing as much as someone who might have paid a higher price, and wants to keep the same loss to a minimum.

Ive seen a few camera items over here in the UK that are a good price for second hand, based on the new price from major retailers, but actually the same price or slightly more as buying new from Hong Kong, and that would come with a warranty so the buyer either drops their price or keeps the item.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 18, 2012 03:52 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

I have purchased EF-s glass new and lost my shirt on it when selling. I have bought EF (non-L) glass used and more or less broke even when selling. I have bought L-glass used, shot it for 12-18 months and made a few $$$ when I sold it. Moral of the story: Buy used L-glass; it is cheaper than renting.

Gear List

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 18, 2012 04:18 |  #39

I would never buy a used 17-55. Too much risk. My one has been to Canon 6 x for various repairs, including IS and AF multiple times each.

And as such I couldn't recommend it to others either. I went and bought a 17-40 to use in place of my 17-55, which kept breaking.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 18, 2012 04:25 |  #40

I brought two brand new ones from Amazon in sept and both went back due to de centring issues. The first one i ever brought was soft down one side, but the second was spot on and i had it for almost 5 years without any issues at all.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 18, 2012 15:54 |  #41

rklepper wrote in post #15136401 (external link)
It will sell for what the market will bear. If it is not selling at $800 you will either need to have more patience, keep it or lower the price.

Good ol' fashion economics :D If someone will pay for it, someone will charge for it :-)

TSchrief wrote in post #15137286 (external link)
I have purchased EF-s glass new and lost my shirt on it when selling. I have bought EF (non-L) glass used and more or less broke even when selling. I have bought L-glass used, shot it for 12-18 months and made a few $$$ when I sold it. Moral of the story: Buy used L-glass; it is cheaper than renting.

THIS^

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 18, 2012 16:01 |  #42

TSchrief wrote in post #15137286 (external link)

if you buy used you won't lose much money if any on EF-S really either..if you wait around for deals you can also make money...if you buy new, sell used, you're going to lose money regardless if it's EF-S, EF, or L....

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 18, 2012 16:07 |  #43

DreDaze wrote in post #15139812 (external link)
if you buy used you won't lose much money if any on EF-S really either..if you wait around for deals you can also make money...if you buy new, sell used, you're going to lose money regardless if it's EF-S, EF, or L....

And that is my highest motivation for buying used, rarely out a buck in the end!

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 18, 2012 22:42 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban

DreDaze wrote in post #15139812 (external link)

I couldn't agree more. I buy used cars for the same reason. Let someone else eat the 40% depreciation in the first two years. I bought a bunch of stuff when I first moved to Canon 4 years ago. I though EF-s stuff would be good enough.

That lasted until I got my 200mm f/2.8L (used). I horse-traded a lot when I was getting started. New EF-s glass cost me about 50% of the purchase price when I moved on. I bought several used EF units on EB/CL and played with them, then unloaded them. All of this helped me decide what I really wanted/needed. I used the 200L and 135L for over a year, and made enough to cover the shipping when I sold. Total cost of ownership: $0. I bought a few lower end EF-s units and that, effectively, cost me a bundle. Bought 18-135 for $449, sold for $225. Cost of ownership: $224. That was a waste of money.

This summer I picked up a Σ 70-200 2.8 OS for $750. That lens will be worth that much as long as it works. Two items I bought new recently, because I know I am keeping them, were the 100-400L and the 15-85. I knew what I wanted, I thought it was worth paying new price for a factory warranty. I am happy with that.

To the OP. It is completely irrelevant what your 17-55 is worth to you. Your choice, as stated above, is: sell for the going rate or keep it. Well, you could donate it. That may earn you a tax deduction for its full initial value. If you are a business, you could give it away in a customer drawing. Or donate it to a public school art department.

Gear List

Je5ter
THREAD ­ STARTER
132 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 19, 2012 09:48 |  #45

I actually re listed it the other day for $700 and had a hit right away for it. After a day and two of going back and fourth between emails I went to meet the guy and he brought his camera to test the lens.. Guess what he brought??? A 5D Mark II... Damn I was pissed, what a tool and a waste of time!!! But I guess $700 isnt far to fetched.

Check me out on Facebook!! https://www.facebook.c​om/TheMiddleofSomewher​e (external link)

sponsored links

7,593 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trying to sell a 17-55mm 2.8 lens ????
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.