Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 22:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Non-Canon TTL Flash for T4i?????

SRisonS
425 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 17, 2012 22:21 |  #1

Any suggestions on an inexpensive non-Canon TTL flash for the T4i??? I'm only looking for something pretty basic to keep on-camera. My Yongnuo 465 was fine with my T1i, but not with my T4i.

Thanks.

My Flickr Photostream (external link)
Follow my Disney's Human Element (external link) Photo Blog!!! :D

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,276 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 18, 2012 08:07 |  #2

Are you using Live view? Otherwise one could imagine it would work just as well on a 650D.

Anders

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 18, 2012 09:45 |  #3

SRisonS wrote in post #15136562 (external link)
Any suggestions on an inexpensive non-Canon TTL flash for the T4i??? I'm only looking for something pretty basic to keep on-camera. My Yongnuo 465 was fine with my T1i, but not with my T4i.

Thanks.

the YN-465 is listed as working with the T4i
What is wrong with it?

SRisonS
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 18, 2012 10:50 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #4

No, I'm not using live view. But when I take a shot, the flash goes off, but my pictures still remain dark. And when I immediately put the flash back on the T1i, everything is fine. I've tried messing with all of the flash options on the camera, but nothing is working.

But I've also noticed that one of the menus is acting a little weird. It's the External Flash settings area (not the Cfn one). Say, when I try to select '2nd Curtain', it will sometimes remain in 1st Curtain. It'll take like 4 times before it finally takes. The same thing happens if I try to switch from ETTL to Manual. It won't even let me select the TTL option. No warning pops up; but it just won't set it.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 18, 2012 13:04 |  #5

SRisonS wrote in post #15138422 (external link)
No, I'm not using live view. But when I take a shot, the flash goes off, but my pictures still remain dark. And when I immediately put the flash back on the T1i, everything is fine. I've tried messing with all of the flash options on the camera, but nothing is working.

But I've also noticed that one of the menus is acting a little weird. It's the External Flash settings area (not the Cfn one). Say, when I try to select '2nd Curtain', it will sometimes remain in 1st Curtain. It'll take like 4 times before it finally takes. The same thing happens if I try to switch from ETTL to Manual. It won't even let me select the TTL option. No warning pops up; but it just won't set it.

I think I would do a factory reset on the camera, charge the batteries (camera and flash) and then do some testing. When photos "remain dark" could mean the flash didn't go off, the settings were wrong, it didn't have ETTL, etc. Or something in the custom functions relating to external flashes is incorrectly set.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,276 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 18, 2012 15:26 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #6

Bad connection between flash and camera? On the new 600 EX-RT, Canon have realized that this is an issue and designed self-cleaning contacts, but that doesn't help you, of course. But the cause of the problem could be the same.

Anders

SRisonS
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 18, 2012 21:00 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #7

I cleaned the contacts, and reset to factory settings. Still a no-go with the flash. Thanks for all of the suggestions though.

sponsored links

1,859 views & 0 likes for this thread
Non-Canon TTL Flash for T4i?????
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.