Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 13:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OK, so ready to upgrade my XSI

watson76
106 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 18, 2012 13:09 |  #1

Been shooting for over a decade, owning various Pro Nikon bodies and switching to Canon two years ago (I think that's right). Anyways I love the XSI, but I am ready to invest in a new body, though to be honest I am having trouble deciding. Been reading reviews and thinking about the decision for over 3 months now. I only own the XSI and the 50 1.4. Here is what I have so far:

Canon 5D Mark II - I mostly shoot portraiture and the price is right, that being said I question whether this body is in all honesty worth $1800 over my XSI, so from a value stand point I really am having trouble justifying this one.

Canon 650D. The new Rebel has a lot to offer over my XSI. I do wonder whether the image quality is a step forward or back at lower ISO ?

OM-D EM-5. I have used Olympus PENs in the past and really love them. It's expensive but It's definitely on the table. As I shoot portraiture (mostly my kids) I am worried about the DOF of the smaller sensor being an issue.

sponsored links
Warbird55
221 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 18, 2012 14:03 |  #2

Why not consider a 60D or a 7D? Only considering the 5D2 and Rebel line ignores some great camera in the middle.

Canon 7D2 Gripped | Canon 7D Gripped | Canon SL1 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II | Canon Extender 1.4x III | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

watson76
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 18, 2012 14:08 |  #3

Warbird55 wrote in post #15139216 (external link)
Why not consider a 60D or a 7D? Only considering the 5D2 and Rebel line ignores some great camera in the middle.

I have. The 60D doesn't seem to offer much over the 650D other than build and view finder (you can correct me if i am wrong) whereas the 650D has a touch screen which I believe will be quite useful (touch focus).

The 7D is geared towards sports shooters in my mind.

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 18, 2012 14:20 |  #4

I shoot weddings and small events. I upgraded from a 50D to a 5Dii and found that the 5Dii is worth every penny of $1,800. It's a solid performer with a fantastic reputation to back it up. IQ and ISO performance are noticeably better than the XXd and Rebel line.

The three cameras you noted above are drastically different, so I'm not sure what aspects of photography are most important to you. If you shoot portraits and want great OOF, a FF body is probably where you want to be. Budget might prohibit that though, unless you consider something used. It sounds like you might want to stay at or below $1000 for your next system.

Or.. dare I say it, consider going back to Nikon  :o

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

watson76
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 18, 2012 14:26 |  #5

JohnThomas wrote in post #15139277 (external link)
I shoot weddings and small events. I upgraded from a 50D to a 5Dii and found that the 5Dii is worth every penny of $1,800. It's a solid performer with a fantastic reputation to back it up. IQ and ISO performance are noticeably better than the XXd and Rebel line.

The three cameras you noted above are drastically different, so I'm not sure what aspects of photography are most important to you. If you shoot portraits and want great OOF, a FF body is probably where you want to be. Budget might prohibit that though, unless you consider something used. It sounds like you might want to stay at or below $1000 for your next system.

Or.. dare I say it, consider going back to Nikon  :o

I don't see myself ever going back to Nikon. The white balance, color and detail IMHO don't approach the Canon formula which I believe is better (and I was a long time Nikon fanboy).

Its a tough decision. I don't shoot pro, but love high end gear. Yes I lust for DOF and I do shoot portraiture, but I am also satisfied with the results from a crop sensor. The XSI leaves very little to be desired in terms of IQ. I also love compact gear, so I can't leave Rebels and the OMD out of the equation.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 18, 2012 14:34 as a reply to  @ watson76's post |  #6

Sounds like you're completely happy with the XSi, so why not stick with it, and invest in a nice lens(es)?

Kel
Gear

munzzzzzzz
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 18, 2012 14:37 |  #7

JohnThomas wrote in post #15139277 (external link)
I upgraded from a 50D to a 5Dii and found that the 5Dii is worth every penny of $1,800. It's a solid performer with a fantastic reputation to back it up. IQ and ISO performance are noticeably better than the XXd and Rebel line.

This. I recently upgraded from a 40D to a 5DII and couldn't agree more.

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

watson76
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 18, 2012 14:49 |  #8

1Tanker wrote in post #15139371 (external link)
Sounds like you're completely happy with the XSi, so why not stick with it, and invest in a nice lens(es)?

Well this is true to a degree. The LCD on the back is kinda poor to judge color / focus. Overall performance of the camera does leave something to be desired. Focusing is not a strong point either. Metering is bad outdoors.

monu2323
80 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 18, 2012 14:57 |  #9

I am also in the same situation. I am waiting for 6D reviews and hands on. Why don't you consider 6D? I guess it will be out in couple of months

Mohan
msgraphy.com (external link)
Gear
Flickr (external link)

watson76
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 18, 2012 15:08 |  #10

monu2323 wrote in post #15139539 (external link)
I am also in the same situation. I am waiting for 6D reviews and hands on. Why don't you consider 6D? I guess it will be out in couple of months

I have the opportunity to make a purchase, but the window will be wasted if I don't make a decision now. The 6D looks attractive, but I don't expect too much improvement in terms of sensor technology.

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 18, 2012 15:13 |  #11

watson76 wrote in post #15139478 (external link)
Well this is true to a degree. The LCD on the back is kinda poor to judge color / focus. Overall performance of the camera does leave something to be desired. Focusing is not a strong point either. Metering is bad outdoors.

Never judge color or focus with the LCD. Sounds to me a 60D would be a good upgrade for you...

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 18, 2012 15:37 as a reply to  @ tmwag's post |  #12

I just got a 60d from the xsi. I am also planning on a 6d in a year or so, so I have a poor mans ff and sports camera and should suit me well. I too have hung on to the xsi forever and got glass instead of bodies and totally loved it.

However

Had I known the 60d was going to be sooo much better than the xsi, I would have upgraded years ago. Things about the 60d you should not overlook compared to the 650d.

Top LCD, huge neccessary at this point
Pentaprism viewfinder. It is much better.

I am surprised at how thrilled I am with the 60d over the xsi. Really. At this point, not top LCD is not an option, and I have only had the camera a few weeks.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

munzzzzzzz
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 18, 2012 15:41 |  #13

watson76 wrote in post #15139584 (external link)
I have the opportunity to make a purchase, but the window will be wasted if I don't make a decision now. The 6D looks attractive, but I don't expect too much improvement in terms of sensor technology.

For what it's worth, there are also some areas where the 5DII is superior to the 6D. Most are probably insignificant to you (max x-sync speed, max shutter speed) but for me the controls of the 5DII are superior to that of the 6D (which is very much like the 60D). While the 6D may have better IQ than the 5DII, I opted to jump on a 5DII now while I could still get a new one at a good price. That said, I was coming from a 40D which has controls much like the 5DII. If you're coming from a XSi, you may not have any issues with the 60D/6D controls at all.

I'm sure the 6D will do better in low light than the 5DII but that wasn't really a concern for me. About the only way I will regret my decision is if the 6D is a significant improvement in dymanic range - i.e. an outdoor portrait would capture the blue sky while still properly exposing the subject. However, since the 5DIII and 1DX didn't do a whole lot in the area of dynamic range, I'm not too concerned that the 6D will be revolutionary in that regard.

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 18, 2012 15:43 as a reply to  @ tmwag's post |  #14

It is all relative on what upgrade it worth it. A full frame is a great camera, do you need it to take family photos? Some do, some don't. I shoot mostly my sons basketball games, and my xsi took great outdoor photos, indoor it was maxed out at iso 1600. The best choice was probably a 7d, which I could have bought, but my camera sits a lot also, and for half the price I bought a 50d, and still love it after almost 2 yrs. I think a 60d would be a great upgrade for you, nice LCD, great iso performance compared the the xsi, better sensor, and great metering system. You can even get hardly used ones at a great price since the full frame frenzy........buy a 60d and get some glass!

watson76
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 18, 2012 15:51 as a reply to  @ mark2009's post |  #15

One thing I have noticed after extensive research is that the 7D sensor seems to be much better than the other 18mp sensors even though they are noted to be the same. in fact dcwatch has a good comparison of the 7D and 5D Mark II and there is very little between the two.

sponsored links

3,975 views & 0 likes for this thread
OK, so ready to upgrade my XSI
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.