Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yongnuo Flash Compatibility

professoryeti
573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 12, 2011 11:33 |  #1

Hey gang, I've been cruising eBay with an itch to pick up a few more TTL flash heads (it's possible that the Flash Bus tour yesterday had something to do with it), and there seems to be oddly inconsistent listings on the Yongnuo flashes regarding what bodies they are "compatible" with.

I did a search through the yongnuo threads here and didn't find anything outright saying "I've used this combination and it works" so i thought maybe we could start a thread verifying what body/flash/trigger combinations people have used with reliable success.

I'm looking specifically for information about using the YN-468 with 5D and 5D2 bodies as it says here - http://cgi.ebay.com …ashes&hash=item​45f9652372 (external link) - that it doesn't work

I've got a bag full of manual 460s, but I can't control output for those from the camera position with the pocketwizard AC3, so I'm looking to replace them with 2 yongnuo TTL flashes.

Also, if anybody knows that the yongnuo TTL flashes don't play nice with the pocketwizard system that would be great to know as well.

Saturnalia for all you have.
5D Mark II | 5D | 24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L | Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8L | 24-105mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |
JoshNibertPhotography.​com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
JMartel
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 12, 2011 13:49 |  #2

Well it says it doesn't work on the 7D either, but I can personally vouch that it works quite well with it.

Jeff
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

ernestoqr
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 12, 2011 13:53 |  #3

I just asked something similar in another entry... about the YN flash and PW

BlakeinatorMate
438 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 12, 2011 16:07 |  #4

I would appreciate an answer here as well. I'm looking to buy 468 and it's extremely confusing.

16 year old photography and videography enthusiast.

www.youtube.com/Blakei​natorMate (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/blakeinatormate​/ (external link)
www.blakebodycotephoto​graphy.com (external link)

Lancef
76 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 12, 2011 18:12 |  #5

I've seen several different ads for them saying canon this canon that but I don't think they are making like 5 different versions of the flash, basically a nikon or a canon version I would guess.

He's a sample of one i saw.

http://cgi.ebay.com …3cb6d8e92d#ht_4​901wt_1014 (external link)

Suit for :
Canon 7D 60D 50D 40D 30D
Canon 600D/T3i 550D/T2i 500D/T1i 450D/Xsi 400D/Xti 350D
(Not Suitable for Canon 1Ds,1D,5D,DDII Series,because it may have vignetting at the corners)

Canon 5D Mark iii 24-105 F/4 iS, 55 F/1.2,Sigma 70-200 2.8
Flickr (external link)

BlakeinatorMate
438 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 12, 2011 19:05 |  #6

Would it be the fact that they have a 35mm sensor size? And do you think it would work for every other camera that doesn't have a 35mm sensor?

professoryeti
THREAD ­ STARTER
573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 12, 2011 19:58 |  #7

The language in that example seems to reference the fact that the flash zoom is 24-85 and so I wouldn't cover ultra wide angles.

I think there is just one Canon version regardless of what they say in the ad. But the yongnuo website says the same thing. Better safe than sorry.

Saturnalia for all you have.
5D Mark II | 5D | 24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L | Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8L | 24-105mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |
JoshNibertPhotography.​com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

BlakeinatorMate
438 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 12, 2011 20:02 |  #8

Would be great if someone could contact Yongnuo and see what cameras they do work with. If they work with ALL the canon range then what's the go. Would appreciate it because I'm going to be out for a week and won't have time to do it :(. I've got a 1000d and I want it to work with that as well as the 60d when I upgrade.

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 12, 2011 20:17 |  #9

BlakeinatorMate wrote in post #12210144 (external link)
Would be great if someone could contact Yongnuo and see what cameras they do work with. If they work with ALL the canon range then what's the go. Would appreciate it because I'm going to be out for a week and won't have time to do it :(. I've got a 1000d and I want it to work with that as well as the 60d when I upgrade.

Don't waste your time trying to contact Yongnuo. Others have tried but get all sorts of conflicting information due to language barriers.

Instead, go by the testimony of your fellow POTN members, many of whom say "YES, my Yongnuo flash works perfectly on my 5D, 5D Mk II, 7D, etc.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

jladdm3
88 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 12, 2011 20:19 |  #10

My 468 works fine on a 60d and a t2i... don't see why it wouldn't work on any canon.

Follow me on Twitter (external link):D

BlakeinatorMate
438 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 12, 2011 20:22 |  #11

Just need to find someone who has used one with a 1000d. :|

mike397
165 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 13, 2011 02:58 as a reply to  @ BlakeinatorMate's post |  #12

I'm going through the same issue ..

I have a 5DII.
Ive posted a few question on another website,and got no replies.
I also,asked a seller on ebay if the flash I was interested in, is compatible...I did get a reply saying that it was not.

I agree with msowsun,......

Until I read anything from other forums members that it definitely .DOES NOT WORK..or,that some damage has occurred to the camera body...I will assume these flashes do work...I have not read one post,or seen any negative comments on youtube,about this compatibility issue,to the contrary,almost all you tube reviews are very positive.There is one thing .... the battery compartment door,seems to be cheaply made.,and even this issue has been addressed with the yn 560.
I had an order for a yn560 ,but i cancelled it and I will re-order one ,directly from the retailer in HongKong,buying directly from Yongnuo,,I know it comes with a one year warranty,also,, his ebay reputation is stellar .
I may even wait for the new yn565? which is supposed to be coming out at the end of may 2011,price has not yet been determined,guesses are -$140-$180?

Hope this info is helpful to all of us pondering our next flash unit?

Mike

Canon 24-105L ,,Voigtlander 40mm & Apo Lanthar 90mm macro...,Nikon 55mm f2.8 micro ,Leica 60mm f2.8 macro ,Leica 180mm f4, Zeiss c/y 135mm f2.8 ,Olympus 21mm f3.5
http://mike397x.zenfol​io.com/ (external link)

jolyroger7
232 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 17, 2011 09:57 |  #13

I own a YN-468, and just bought a 5D. The YN-468 works fine on my 50D, but locks up my 5D. I can't be sure if the problem is with the camera, flash model, or my particular flash, but I thought I'd put it out there. I have the older plastic mount YN-486.

No, I'm not a professional photographer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
1Ds MKII |1DMKIII | EOS M | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 85 | Canon 135L | Sigma 150 OS | Canon 17-40L | Sigma 24-70 2.8 | Sigma 70-200 II | Canon 100-400L IS

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 17, 2011 23:42 |  #14

I can't get 2nd curtain sync on a YN 465 to work on my 30D. I emailed Yongnuo, and they did reply, but since I'd said the flash fired when the shutter opened, they didn't think I had a problem!

I sent back a few paragraphs on what 2nd curtain sync does.

I've seen reports of success with this on an XSi and a 40D, so I'm thinking that despite the flash compatibility specifications including (by inference, if not by name) the 30D, it is not in reality fully compatible.

I guess it may be less of a problem as the number of die-hard 30D users dwindles. If I hear more, I'll report back.

SRisonS
425 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 18, 2012 21:28 as a reply to  @ xarqi's post |  #15

I'll add that my 465 is not working with my T4i. It was fine with the T1i though. Like the poster above, the flash would fire; but the pics showed no signs of a flash even being used.

My Flickr Photostream (external link)
Follow my Disney's Human Element (external link) Photo Blog!!! :D

sponsored links

6,194 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yongnuo Flash Compatibility
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.