Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 18 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 15:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographers make the worst photographers!

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,248 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2012 00:10 |  #16

I saw one recently for a rather expensive lens from a rather new poster that said something along the lines of 'since this lens is mint no pictures are necessary and won't be provided'.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 19, 2012 00:27 |  #17

K6AZ wrote in post #15141522 (external link)
I saw one recently for a rather expensive lens from a rather new poster that said something along the lines of 'since this lens is mint no pictures are necessary and won't be provided'.

I hear ya. I can't help but think the person posting that type of message is lazy and arrogant. Either way I just move on down the road.

I feel like saying that since you already know what money looks like it won't be provided either.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 19, 2012 00:41 |  #18

I find it odd that people often make FS threads only to say "pictures will be added later." Why not just start the entire thread later when you have the pictures ready? :rolleyes: Or when the picture of the item for sale is taken at f/1.2 and only has a tiny sliver in focus...and the focus is on the front cap of a camera body or something. Yes, I'm glad your $2.00 front cap is in mint condition, but I can't tell if the $2000 camera is in decent shape because you shot it at an inappropriate aperture and it's out of focus. :rolleyes: Or these idiots that try to sell a $30,000 car on craigslist and have a two sentence description that looks like it was written by a fourth grader texting shorthand to their BFF, and a crappy thumbnail sized cell phone snapshot. :rolleyes: A picture is worth 1000 words, especially when the subject is for sale!

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 19, 2012 01:02 |  #19

Since this thread is sort of turning into what it is, anyone want to critique my ad? It's for Nikon stuff, so not truly a plug for the ad. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1239524

Trying out a new light tent and easier lighting (bouncing flash inside the tent). Curious if it's looking ok to others. (And yes, the WB seems off). Thanks!

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 19, 2012 01:28 |  #20

^^ Looks good to me, man. It's an above average FS thread, although I prefer it when it when it follows the FS template provided in the sticky, even if it's not 100% applicable.

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

Chris
Goldmember
4,123 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 19, 2012 07:34 |  #21

cdifoto wrote in post #15141376 (external link)
The better the photos, the faster it sells and for more money. It's always worth the effort. I find that buyers will pay more when they know exactly what they're getting and less when they have to guess.

Totally agree with this. If a person can't take the time to get some good pics of their gear, do they really take the time to take care of their gear? All things being equal, I will always pic the item that has the best pictures.

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,808 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 19, 2012 09:19 as a reply to  @ Chris's post |  #22

Thorrulz wrote in post #15141344 (external link)
Well Cory, you have been known to take a few good photo's here and there.;)

HA! :D

dog rocket wrote in post #15141362 (external link)
It looks just like that unidentified eyeball that washed on the beach somewhere recently. :)

Totally! The body must be nearby. ;)

Lovely picture, really.

cdifoto wrote in post #15141376 (external link)
The better the photos, the faster it sells and for more money. It's always worth the effort. I find that buyers will pay more when they know exactly what they're getting and less when they have to guess.

Not always the case though....this lens went a couple weeks and was buried in the FS section. I listed it for top dollar though.

I will say that if the surroundings can be seen, I take that into consideration. For example if the photo is taken on the kitchen counter and there is crap all around it tells me that the person is a slob and may treat their camera stuff the same way. In the end, it pays to make a nice add with nice photos.

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Samyang 12/2
flickr (external link) flickr (external link)
Feedback

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,454 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 19, 2012 09:20 |  #23

all I want from the pic is to match the description... if the description calls for some sort of wear on the body, I want to see the wear, etc... and basically, proof of life (i.e. proof that you have one)...
if you post awesome pics of your gear... yeah, it looks good, but when it gets to the buyer's hands, the item may not be quite as nice due to lighting used, touching up, etc... and then you have a buyer that thinks the pictures looked better than the actual item...

5D4 / Want a 1D X
24-105L, 100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x/2x II
Sig35A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
600EX-II X2, 430EX-III X4

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 19, 2012 09:38 |  #24

I know how you feel about all this OP and that's why I take somewhat decent ad photos. Always helps that I have 2 DSLRs instead of one.

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 19, 2012 09:52 |  #25

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15142571 (external link)
all I want from the pic is to match the description... if the description calls for some sort of wear on the body, I want to see the wear, etc... and basically, proof of life (i.e. proof that you have one)...
if you post awesome pics of your gear... yeah, it looks good, but when it gets to the buyer's hands, the item may not be quite as nice due to lighting used, touching up, etc... and then you have a buyer that thinks the pictures looked better than the actual item...

"Awesome" doesn't mean retouched to remove flaws. That's not awesome, that's fraud. Awesome basically means clean, clear, sharp, and close.

If all you want the pic to do is match the description, the description can simply not mention flaws. If the photo doesn't show them, they match perfectly.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,248 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2012 10:42 |  #26

KirkS518 wrote in post #15141635 (external link)
Since this thread is sort of turning into what it is, anyone want to critique my ad? It's for Nikon stuff, so not truly a plug for the ad. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1239524

Trying out a new light tent and easier lighting (bouncing flash inside the tent). Curious if it's looking ok to others. (And yes, the WB seems off). Thanks!

The only critique I would make is that you posted these rare Nikon items on a board mainly babitated by Canon enthusiasts. I haven't looked to see if you posted them on FM as well but that would be the best shot for moving them.

Flickr (external link)

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 19, 2012 11:17 |  #27

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15142571 (external link)
... I want to see the wear, etc... and basically, proof of life (i.e. proof that you have one)...

Basic reasons I want to see pics.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 19, 2012 13:03 |  #28

I decided to try this as if I only had my cell phone and computer (tablet actually) remaining. While not studio quality (and probably over-cropped), I think it's safe to say there's really no excuse for blurrycam photos when selling your stuff.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

dog ­ rocket
THREAD ­ STARTER
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 19, 2012 14:51 |  #29

Bravo!

My wife sent me a pic from her Galaxy II cell phone on a latch that was broken on our gate. I was flabbergasted at the sharpness and detail. Seriously.

Randy...

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 19, 2012 14:56 |  #30

Yeah I used the 2010 model. It's not up to the latest standards but it's pretty good. Most phones are good enough to sell something online if you give 'em what they need...light.

This wasn't exactly a complicated effort. I merely walked out into my driveway and snapped, transferred to tablet, then cropped.

sponsored links

4,796 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographers make the worst photographers!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.