Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 18:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

are tilted photos so much "BETTER"

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,688 posts
Gallery: 330 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 19, 2012 05:34 as a reply to  @ post 15142033 |  #16

Curtis N wrote in post #15140822 (external link)
Tilting a camera is what untalented photographers do as a substitute for creativity.

Yep, that's my opinion as well.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 19, 2012 07:22 |  #17

No.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 19, 2012 07:27 |  #18

Tilted photos help me stretch my neck, so I guess they serve a purpose.

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 19, 2012 09:42 |  #19

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #15142216 (external link)
Tilted photos help me stretch my neck, so I guess they serve a purpose.

Just make sure they are done in an even number of left to right tilts?

Personally I find they can be highly effective in a number of instances. However, they are often abused and overused. It is like the heart ring on a book effect. It can be well done, but often it is boring, uninteresting, and uninspired.

Much like photography in general. Really guys, people have been capturing light on a photosensitive medium for over 100 years now. You would think one of you copycats would have come up with something more unique than that...

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 19, 2012 12:02 |  #20

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #15142061 (external link)
Yep, that's my opinion as well.

Rather broad indictment. So no talented photographer has ever had a tilted photo that worked? I call BS.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,688 posts
Gallery: 330 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 19, 2012 12:14 |  #21

^^^That's a really smart quote. :)
Better to quote the original statement instead of me agreeing with it, so that others might understand what exactly you call BS.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

AltgnJoey
885 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 19, 2012 12:22 |  #22

I think the vintage look is more annoying then a tilted shot. A tilted shot can add a dramatic viewpoint imo. When shooting from ground level up at something I'm always tilting. So no tilting doesnt bother me, what does though is this desaturated look that is in my opinion a plauge upon the industry. To each their own though, so whatever.

https://500px.com/jose​ph-kurtz (external link)
www.josephkurtzphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 19, 2012 12:29 as a reply to  @ AltgnJoey's post |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

Let's see some examples...:)

Here is one.

IMAGE: http://www.oneimagingphotography.com/Cycling/Kissena-Fall-Classic-92212/Kissena-Fall-Classic-All/i-QtwCqnQ/0/L/8O2T0453-copy-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.oneimagingp​hotography.com …384552&k=QtwCqn​Q&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

Here is another....
IMAGE: http://www.oneimagingphotography.com/Cycling/LucarelliCastaldiCupRace84/Lucarellicuprace84/i-JZrmNf9/0/L/8O2T6837-copy-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.oneimagingp​hotography.com …012952&k=JZrmNf​9&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 19, 2012 12:33 |  #24

Since my first camera (in the early 1980's) I was always told to "hold the camera straight". Even in the most recent photo class this tilting method was not taught. There must be a reason for it never being taught. Who came up with this idea anyway. I think it's a tad bit ridiculous unless you're trying to convey The Joker's hide out in your photos. :)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 19, 2012 12:40 as a reply to  @ CameraMan's post |  #25

I think it is absolutely fine. We as people don't always walk around with our heads level to the horizon.

I think it absolutely adds value to images. The first example bike pic gives the sense that you're not a spectator but another cyclist looking beside you to see how close you competition is. The tilt simulates your viewing angle if you were to turn your head while you were holding the horns.

I think there are many bad examples of this, however. Probably two fold. One, it's just a bad picture to begin with. Two, Most don't have practice with it.

And if you don't agree with me, then so be it. Photography is an art. Don't make it a science.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2012 13:16 |  #26

If every photo you take is tilted you might have a creativity problem.

If you can't fathom how it would be possible to create an interesting photo that is tilted, you might have a creativity problem.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 19, 2012 13:27 |  #27

tkbslc wrote in post #15143606 (external link)
If you can't fathom how it would be possible to create an interesting photo that is tilted, you might have a creativity problem.

It's not a creativity problem if you hold the camera straight your whole life. I was also taught to center your subject but I've learned to love the Rule of Thirds most of the time while at some point centered shots do work at times. But Rule of thirds is much nicer looking.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2012 13:31 |  #28

Okay, I'll add one more: If every shot you take adheres to the rule of thirds, you might have a creativity problem.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,729 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 19, 2012 13:38 |  #29

The occasional tilted shot might work. But it is often used as a crutch to make an uninteresting composition or subject interesting. A little bit of salt makes the soup, too much makes brine... There are certain shots where its just silly to tilt. Imagine trying to frame a large wall hanger where it makes the whole room off kilter, or in this case having to sit and look at a wedding album with your head cocked 45 degrees.

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 19, 2012 13:42 |  #30

Tilting photos has been around awhile. I am not sure when this photo was taken but my best guess is between 1900 and 1910. Since this is a 45 degree angle shot I think this might have been intended to hang with her verticle making the frame a diamond shape but that is only a guess. It is hard to look at this shot without envisioning it being hung at the same angle. Overall I have seen very few tilted shots that I like.

IMAGE: http://i46.tinypic.com/25au4hg.jpg

Joe
5DIII

sponsored links

9,290 views & 0 likes for this thread
are tilted photos so much "BETTER"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.