Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Oct 2012 (Friday) 11:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are You Conscious About Shutter Count?

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 19, 2012 13:59 |  #46

ScubaDude wrote in post #15143669 (external link)
Business doesn't work that way. I know... everybody says things like that, but no business can thrive by making things worse than they used to. Not that businesses don't let quality slip, but it's always a mistake, and is usually a sign of a company that's in trouble to begin with. Everybody who's been to business school knows this. Cheapening your product or holding back technology only helps your competitors. Technology improves over time... it's not like Ford could have made the Lincoln MkZ back in 1908, but gave us the Model T so they could string us along buying upgrades. If you feel the need to upgrade to every latest camera, that's not Canon's fault. Should they save up all their r&D efforts and only release a new, totally different, camera every 10 years?

Then how do you explain the difference between a 'normal' 60D and a 60D with Magic Lantern? I think that they are obviously holding back.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,821 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 19, 2012 14:02 |  #47

Yogi Bear wrote in post #15143805 (external link)
Then how do you explain the difference between a 'normal' 60D and a 60D with Magic Lantern? I think that they are obviously holding back.

Or they choose to not add those features. ML is more akin to someone adding fuzzy dice and a trailer hitch to their car. After market add-ons and not many want them.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Mark
Dammit I need sleep
3,386 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 19, 2012 14:11 |  #48

gjl711 wrote in post #15143821 (external link)
Or they choose to not add those features. ML is more akin to someone adding fuzzy dice and a trailer hitch to their car. After market add-ons and not many want them.

ML is a bit more than that.. More like adding ten guages and a knob for every setting in the car ;)
TBH I can't wait for trap focus and timed bulb on my 5D3, might even be able to make something neat for star trails (to eat my shutter up, of course this is on topic!) :)

Mark

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 19, 2012 14:29 |  #49

Muwahahaha! That's just funny. "Saving shutter counts". I wonder if he bikes to work to save miles on his car. Or even better, conserves clicks while browsing the internet to save hard drive revolutions.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Rich ­ Smith
85 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 19, 2012 16:52 |  #50

Worried about shutter clicks on my own camera? Nah, lifes too short..I keep meaning to check just out of curiousity though!
There was sentimental attachment to a body post a few days ago..I may have this problem, so worrying about shutter clicks never enters my mind. When it dies, it will still be mine :)

-AP-
Goldmember
2,245 posts
Gallery: 171 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 19, 2012 17:15 as a reply to  @ Rich Smith's post |  #51

Well, after selling my 7D to support the 5d3 purchase I now am much more aware of shutter count. You see, I never worried about it and did most shooting bracketing and a lot of TL.. Every person interested in buying it asked "what is the shutter count?" after checking, it had 145k on it. That alone deterred most buyers, so I found I had to considerably lower the price. Probably by 300 to what I could have gotten compared to others selling at the time.

I suppose it's somewhat fair because if the shutter where to go shortly after the purchase, a new shutter would be about that much.

Anyway, if I'm just gallivanting around or doing TL stuff, I am more likely to take my XSI or G12. I actually have accumulated enough items over the years to support 2 kits. 1 for travel and messing around, and 1 for when a higher level of quality may be needed…

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

Preeb
Goldmember
2,535 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 19, 2012 17:20 |  #52

cYn wrote in post #15143225 (external link)
So a friend of mine is a photographer. We had a family event one time and I asked him to take pictures because he has a pretty good camera (Nikon D7000 :dontshootme:). I was surprised when he came out with a Canon Xt. Not bagging on the Xt or anything, but I was confused on why he chose that body.

Guess what he told me? He wants to "save" the shutter count on his D7000. The thing is he doesn't even shoot professionally so I don't think he's saving much by using another body.

Are you guys that way too?

I could care less about shutter count, really. I bought the camera to take pictures. Heck, I shoot HDR most of the time so that should bring my count up three folds.

Nope. If my camera dies from shutter count (100,000 clicks) that means I lived to be about 100, and still able to keep shooting the whole time. I'd die happy right along with my 60d.

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 19, 2012 17:27 |  #53

alquimista wrote in post #15143322 (external link)
I can care less about shutter count! Unless I was a nikon guy, perhaps their cameras are more fragile? lol

Please stop with this. Honestly. I'm so sick and tired of reading crap like this on this board.

Nikon cameras are every bit as well as Canons, some a lot better. Also, historically, Nikons are much tougher. (Better weather sealing, etc).

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 19, 2012 17:29 |  #54

But to answer the question, no...I only shoot in single frame mode, so I never rattle off 100 frames in 10 seconds, and for time lapse I used to use my G9 (specifically to save on shutter wear and tear)...other than that, these days (since I stopped shooting news, weddings, etc) I put maybe 10-15 thousand a year on a body (some significantly less, especially when I had multiple cameras), which means that by Canon's estimate, my shutter should last 10+ years...certainly not something that's worth sweating about. I've owned 8 Canon DSLRs and the shutter's never gone out in any of them.

-=Gear=-

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 19, 2012 17:32 |  #55

-AP- wrote in post #15144531 (external link)
Well, after selling my 7D to support the 5d3 purchase I now am much more aware of shutter count. You see, I never worried about it and did most shooting bracketing and a lot of TL.. Every person interested in buying it asked "what is the shutter count?" after checking, it had 145k on it. That alone deterred most buyers, so I found I had to considerably lower the price. Probably by 300 to what I could have gotten compared to others selling at the time.

I suppose it's somewhat fair because if the shutter where to go shortly after the purchase, a new shutter would be about that much.

Anyway, if I'm just gallivanting around or doing TL stuff, I am more likely to take my XSI or G12. I actually have accumulated enough items over the years to support 2 kits. 1 for travel and messing around, and 1 for when a higher level of quality may be needed…

Good points, but I wouldn't sweat the high shutter count...it simply means you got your money's worth out of the camera. It's like when I see someone selling a 10 year old Corvette with super low miles. Sure, it sells for 10% higher than something with average miles, but it just means that the owner never got his money's worth or really had fun with it. In the end, you'll always lose money selling a camera (especially a DSLR)...get the most out of it! :)

-=Gear=-

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 19, 2012 17:39 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #56

conscious? yes but do I care? ..no. I cycle through bodies so it's irrelevant.

Rich ­ Smith
85 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 19, 2012 17:43 |  #57

-AP- wrote in post #15144531 (external link)

Yea, but another way you can look at it is you got more than your money's worth out of it..300 bucks less for 145k! Not bad at all in my opinion!

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 19, 2012 17:50 |  #58

Rich Smith wrote in post #15144612 (external link)
Yea, but another way you can look at it is you got more than your money's worth out of it..300 bucks less for 145k! Not bad at all in my opinion!

That's exactly what I'm thinking :D

-=Gear=-

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 19, 2012 17:59 |  #59

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15144554 (external link)
Please stop with this. Honestly. I'm so sick and tired of reading crap like this on this board.

Nikon cameras are every bit as well as Canons, some a lot better. Also, historically, Nikons are much tougher. (Better weather sealing, etc).

Oh, lighten up! His post was a joke, just like mine was. That's what the LOL means...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

superclarkey
208 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 19, 2012 18:09 |  #60

I would have laughed in his face if someone had said that to me, I think my camera is only rated by 150,000 a and I've already shot 10,000, ah **** I've only got 140,000 left, time for a new camera lol

My camera is rated at 6fps, so on continuous burst it would take me 6.5 hours to use my camera up totally, ah ****, gonna a buy a 550d to take the load of my 5dmk3 lol

:p

Canon EOS 5D mk IV
Canon 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L USM mk II
Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L USM IS mk II

sponsored links

9,941 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are You Conscious About Shutter Count?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.