Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 18 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Waterfall

NCSA197
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 18, 2012 08:47 |  #1

After years away, I'm trying to re-enter an enjoyable passtime, this time digital. Getting started with a Canon T3i and some modest accessories from my film days. Suggestions on this two?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 18, 2012 09:08 |  #2

The shots are cool but the colors look muddy and there seems to be alot of noise.

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,964 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 18, 2012 18:38 |  #3

#1 underexposed. #2 also could use bit of bump in exposure, but not near as much as #1 needs.

Welcome back

My Gear flickr (external link)

AmpLee
158 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 18, 2012 18:49 |  #4

I'd try to shoot these shots near the end or beginning of the day's light. Also, I'd crop out the top of the first pic so we can't tell where the waterfall begins. Wonderful subject though!

Like me on Facebook (external link) :)

GorgeShooter
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 18, 2012 21:36 |  #5

Not crazy about the second shot because the waterfall seems to come out of nowhere.

1DX | 5D MkII (gripped)
16-35 f/2.8L | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS | 24 f/3.5L TS-E | 45 f/2.8 TS-E | 40 f/2.8 Pancake | 15 f/2.8 Fisheye | Tokina 100 f/2.8 Macro | Canon 1.4x TC | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Kirk BH-1
:: Smugmug :: (external link) | :: Photography BLOG :: (external link) | :: Workshops and Classes (external link) ::

NCSA197
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 18, 2012 21:45 |  #6

Bianchi wrote in post #15140379 (external link)
#1 underexposed. #2 also could use bit of bump in exposure, but not near as much as #1 needs.

Welcome back

Looking at the photos here, your observations are valid. When I look at the original picture: they look much better. Basically I opened the pictures in Paint and simply reduced the size to 25% in order to meet the size requirements here. Elements is coming, and the only other imaging software I have is what Canon included with the camera.

These were shot with the kit lens on my T3i, a polarizing filter and f22. Shutter speed approx. 1/2 to 1 second on an overcast day. Much greater detail in the pictures as they "came out of the camera".

So, how do I get a better version posted?
And, BTW- Thanks!

Flickr (external link)

NCSA197
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 18, 2012 21:52 |  #7

GorgeShooter wrote in post #15140996 (external link)
Not crazy about the second shot because the waterfall seems to come out of nowhere.

Generally I would agree. This waterfalls is in the center of a fairly busy business district. What you don't see is a couple cinder block buildings needing paint and a bunch of powerlines and a run down RV. I tried to avoid those, but cannot completely disagree with your comment. The up-side: close to home and a place to try new things, learn more about my camera, and try to put some things into practice.

Flickr (external link)

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 18, 2012 22:48 |  #8

NCSA197 wrote in post #15141028 (external link)
Looking at the photos here, your observations are valid. When I look at the original picture: they look much better. Basically I opened the pictures in Paint and simply reduced the size to 25% in order to meet the size requirements here. Elements is coming, and the only other imaging software I have is what Canon included with the camera.

These were shot with the kit lens on my T3i, a polarizing filter and f22. Shutter speed approx. 1/2 to 1 second on an overcast day. Much greater detail in the pictures as they "came out of the camera".

So, how do I get a better version posted?
And, BTW- Thanks!

You can download a free trial of Elements while you wait for your version to come. And get a free Flickr (or similar, shutterfly, 500px, etc.) account, upload to that account, and post using the provided BBCode tags.

I only use Flickr, so I can't vouch for the others on the BBCode tags, but I am sure others can chime in once you decide which way to go and if you need help with that.

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

dino211
174 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 18, 2012 22:56 |  #9

1/2 second at f22 with a polarizer on an overcast day is underexposed.
Keep the speed the same but open up the f stop. If you go with a longer exposure, the waterfall
becomes too blurry.

Dean
Canon 7Dii, 5Dii, 100-400L, 70-200L f4is, 100 macro, 300L f4is, 24-105L f4i

picturepages
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 19, 2012 02:33 |  #10

your color balance is off.
I like the images though

*~~I find.....the more I learn about photography, the more there is to learn about photography.:confused: ~~* My Flicker page (external link)

Canon 20D 5Dll EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 ll, EF50mm1:1.8 ll, EF24-70 1:2.8L USM, EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lll

Bassun
232 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 19, 2012 08:04 |  #11

I'm not going to speak to the color or lighting since you have some issues with how the image looks based on how you posed it. No point in mentioning something that isn't really a problem, once your post looks like your image at home, we can get into that.

However, cropping wise etc: Oddly I find image 1 kind of boring. Nothing is jumping out and grabbing my interest. Image 2 definitely has more interest; but with the current cropping it feels rushed. I think either open up the head room at the top of the pic, or remove it completely and turn this into a "mid fall" kind of shot. As is, I think you would at least have benefited from having it level with the top of the fall.
I know you mentioned some building and stuff, it may make for a more interesting photo if you included them. Showing the merger of urban with nature can make for some striking photos.

Once you are able to show these images with the correct colors etc. their entire feel may change, so please repost them once you get the tools to.

Bassun
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." ~~ Ansel Adams
Flickr! (external link)

picturepages
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 19, 2012 21:41 |  #12

I think the image works well cropped as is. When it's done with the right color balance and some "pop" it looks pretty good.

*~~I find.....the more I learn about photography, the more there is to learn about photography.:confused: ~~* My Flicker page (external link)

Canon 20D 5Dll EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 ll, EF50mm1:1.8 ll, EF24-70 1:2.8L USM, EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lll

NCSA197
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 19, 2012 22:01 |  #13

picturepages wrote in post #15145210 (external link)
I think the image works well cropped as is. When it's done with the right color balance and some "pop" it looks pretty good.

Here's a link to a modified version. I'm having difficulty trying to pate it into this thread, but the suggestions help.
http://www.flickr.com …8104267406/in/p​hotostream (external link)

Flickr (external link)

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 19, 2012 22:28 |  #14

NCSA197 wrote in post #15145276 (external link)
Here's a link to a modified version. I'm having difficulty trying to pate it into this thread, but the suggestions help.
http://www.flickr.com …8104267406/in/p​hotostream (external link)

If you go to the above link on Flickr, there is a "Share" button just above the photo, to the right of "Favorites" and "Actions".

If you click that button, a menu will appear with some options. Click on "Grab the HTML/BBCode" option. Another "box" will appear with a drop down under it. The dropdown underneath gives you options for the size you want to share as. For this forum, choose "Large 1024". Underneath the size dropdown, there are two "radio buttons" - one says "HTML" and the other says "BBCode". Choose BBCode.

At this point, the text inside the box labeled "Copy and paste the code below" will contain the exact text you need to post. Just copy and paste it in a post or reply here, and that's it.

I've attached a screenshot for you so all of the above should make sense. Nice to see you got a Flickr account! :D

HOSTED PHOTO

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

NCSA197
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 20, 2012 05:15 as a reply to  @ ddk632's post |  #15

Thanks! I'll try that.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
Waterfall
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.