Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 23:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CF card education required

colormaniac
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 24, 2011 10:24 |  #16

Found it. It's the first review found on this amazon.com page (external link).

Lexar different from other brands from its naming their cards by the min speed, not like Sandisk or some others, they use the max speed. Which means, if you got a 400X Lexar card, you will get at least 400X speed, but for Sandisk, 400X just your maximum speed, around 350x or even worse.

I don't know how accurate it is but just post it for your reference.

Edit: that guy is probably comparing the product description of that Lexar CF card with this Sandisk CF card (external link).

Gear list | ModelMayhem (external link)
Hello, friends, I've been away from this site and photography for a few years. Too much drama in life. Now I'm catching up.

sponsored links
mangrovedutch
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 25, 2011 15:07 |  #17

OK, So I bought a Sandisk 8 GB 60MB/s. However, I spoke to the manufacturer who also supplied a link to the company website, and they decided to do me a great deal. I've got two PixelFlash 8GB coming my way, and I told them that I would review them and report honestly on their performance here on POTN as well as on the Australian Photography Forum. He was very happy to let me do that as they believe they have a fantastic product that will rival the known brands, and the best form of advertising is word of mouth. I again mentioned that an HONEST report would be posted, as I owe no loyalty to the product or the company.8 Again he was more than happy for me to do so.
Am I confident? Yeh, I am, but not in a way that I trust these without having a back-up, so I bought the SanDisk - just in case.

Regards, Dutch

th0rr
199 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 25, 2011 15:31 as a reply to  @ mangrovedutch's post |  #18

If your still looking for a SanDisk deal on 8 gig cards B&H has this going on till the end of the month:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_CompactFlash_M​emory.html (external link)

They also have similar deals on the 16Gb and 32Gb ones as well.

happy ­ hopping
261 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 19, 2012 02:41 |  #19

mangrovedutch wrote in post #12998942 (external link)
OK, So I bought a Sandisk 8 GB 60MB/s. However, I spoke to the manufacturer who also supplied a link to the company website, and they decided to do me a great deal. I've got two PixelFlash 8GB coming my way, and I told them that I would review them and report honestly on their performance here on POTN as well as on the Australian Photography Forum.

Regards, Dutch

I'm digging out this old thread, what's your take on PixelFlash? Is it any good, any defects?

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 20, 2012 03:51 |  #20

There have been many threads on this subject. Here is a link to a previous discussion thread as well as a comprehensive test of CF cards for your 7D. No offense intended, but if you have to ask what the card speed ratings mean, then I wonder how you will be able to provide a meaningful card review. By meaningful, I mean something other than to say "I shot xyz number of images and had no problems". Don't get me wrong, I couldn't come up with anything more substantial than that in reviewing CF cards. -rick

http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …i_page.asp?cid=​6007-10294 (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1226283

mangrovedutch wrote in post #12998942 (external link)
OK, So I bought a Sandisk 8 GB 60MB/s. However, I spoke to the manufacturer who also supplied a link to the company website, and they decided to do me a great deal. I've got two PixelFlash 8GB coming my way, and I told them that I would review them and report honestly on their performance here on POTN as well as on the Australian Photography Forum. He was very happy to let me do that as they believe they have a fantastic product that will rival the known brands, and the best form of advertising is word of mouth. I again mentioned that an HONEST report would be posted, as I owe no loyalty to the product or the company.8 Again he was more than happy for me to do so.
Am I confident? Yeh, I am, but not in a way that I trust these without having a back-up, so I bought the SanDisk - just in case.

Regards, Dutch

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

TheDocAUS
79 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 22, 2012 16:01 |  #21

happy hopping wrote in post #15141785 (external link)
I'm digging out this old thread, what's your take on PixelFlash? Is it any good, any defects?

They a decent brand, but I would go for SanDisk or Lexar when on speecial. Pixelflash have good read speeds but are let down by write speeds.

Review of USB 3.0 Readers (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 22, 2012 16:05 |  #22

Man, I'm with everyone else: only SandDisk or Lexar for me, regardless of what other brand's prices may be.

I used to be a SanDisk only guy, but bought a Lexar Professional x1000 32 GB compact flash card when I found out that its write speed was superior to the best SanDisk card out there.

Bryan

My Gear List

happy ­ hopping
261 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 24, 2012 02:51 |  #23

Lexar is not a memory co., Sandisk on the other hand, is memory delicate co. If I were to go w/ Lexar, I might as well move to Sandisk

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,640 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 25, 2012 21:28 |  #24

Lexar is not a memory co.

Please define a "memory co." The Lexar website states under "About Us"

Lexar. A world leader in reliable, award-winning memory solutions.

happy ­ hopping
261 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 06, 2012 02:53 |  #25

pixelflash also said they are a memory co. too. A memory co. has to have billions in R&D yr. after yr.

flyinlow007
139 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 14, 2012 09:44 |  #26

Is there some type of conversion for the speeds? If the speed is a 300x, what does that translate to in mb/s?

Canon 5DmkIII gripped, Canon 60D gripped
Canon 70-200 f2.8L II IS, Canon 85 f1.8,
Canon 50 f1.8, Canon 18-55 EF-S IS, Tamron 28-75 f2.8,
Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4x II, Canon 2.0x II
Canon 580ex II, Sekonic 758-DR

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,175 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 14, 2012 09:50 |  #27

Bryan Grant Photography wrote in post #12989033 (external link)
well i lost a wedding to lexar... fool me once shame on you

And I lost part of one to sandisk... any component can fail.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 14, 2012 11:12 |  #28

flyinlow007 wrote in post #15244522 (external link)
Is there some type of conversion for the speeds? If the speed is a 300x, what does that translate to in mb/s?

Ye olde CD drives could write at 150 kB/s. Then they made drives that could write twice as fast, they were designated 2x, then 3x for three times as fast, and so on. When marketing departments wanted to label memory card speeds they realised that 100x sounds much faster than 15 MB/s, event though it's pretty meaningless.

So, to convert from 'x' to MB/s just multiply by 0.15

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

flyinlow007
139 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 14, 2012 11:52 |  #29

Thanks Hollis

Canon 5DmkIII gripped, Canon 60D gripped
Canon 70-200 f2.8L II IS, Canon 85 f1.8,
Canon 50 f1.8, Canon 18-55 EF-S IS, Tamron 28-75 f2.8,
Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4x II, Canon 2.0x II
Canon 580ex II, Sekonic 758-DR

FrayAdjacent
196 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 15, 2012 03:45 |  #30

I moved up from a T2i to a 7D recently... and of course had to get CF memory. I got a 400x Transcend, as I've used a few Transcend SD cards with no problems. Seems to work OK, but I haven't had it too long.

I also ordered an SD to CF adapter, which works pretty damn good. With Class 10 SDHC cards, it works fine, and the burst rate is fast, but does slow down quicker as the camera flushes the buffer. I think it would be perfectly acceptable for casual shooting where I don't need tons of speed. Also of benefit is my laptop has an SD card reader built in.

Fray: a usually disorderly or protracted fight, struggle, or dispute
Adjacent: not distant, immediately preceding or following
Canon 7D gripped | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L | Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC HSM Macro | Canon 50mm f1/8 II

sponsored links

6,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
CF card education required
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.