Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Oct 2012 (Friday) 14:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Canon 40mm Pancake lens?

jjaenagle
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 20, 2012 04:55 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

Brelly wrote in post #15145927 (external link)
Humm, seems like most people like it! I'm impressed with the photos you guys have posted up, but, my next question,I'm getting a 650D and it's coming with a standard 18 - 55mm kit lens, is it worth getting the pancake as an alternative lens?

Thanks guys!

when i got my first crop sensor camera with 18-55, i got the 50f1.8.

on that note, i liked the speed of the 50, but 40 is just as good.

Both of those lenses have great sharpness at 2.8

Instagram (external link)Website (external link)
GEAR & FEEDBACK

sponsored links
Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 20, 2012 05:37 |  #32

I bought it for the T2i, to create a smaller, more portable DSLR setup. Wound up being the perfect compliment on my IR conversion 30D.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

Mark
Dammit I need sleep
3,386 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 20, 2012 06:22 |  #33

The only thing stopping me everytime is http://www.photozone.d​e …_ff/712-voigtlander40f2ff (external link)

I just reckon it'd be nice to have a tiny lens, that still feels good to use...

Mark

nightcat
Goldmember
4,511 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 20, 2012 06:58 |  #34

Mark wrote in post #15146081 (external link)
The only thing stopping me everytime is http://www.photozone.d​e …_ff/712-voigtlander40f2ff (external link)

I just reckon it'd be nice to have a tiny lens, that still feels good to use...

I don't get it. Photozone ranks the Canon much higher than the Voigtlander.

http://www.photozone.d​e …52-canon_40_28_ff?start=1 (external link)

Mark
Dammit I need sleep
3,386 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 20, 2012 07:17 |  #35

nightcat wrote in post #15146135 (external link)
I don't get it. Photozone ranks the Canon much higher than the Voigtlander.

http://www.photozone.d​e …52-canon_40_28_ff?start=1 (external link)

The optical quality is 'good enough' in the voitlander, IMO. The canon would be a clear choice if it felt sort of...special, like the build of the voigtlander does.

Mark

nightcat
Goldmember
4,511 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 20, 2012 08:09 |  #36

Mark, thanks for responding. I guess we have different priorities. Although a better build is certainly a nice feature, if both lenses sold for $199, I'd still buy the lens with better IQ. For me, if a $199 lens has much better image quality than a lens that costs $539, that's a slam dunk!

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,921 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 20, 2012 09:57 |  #37

Brelly wrote in post #15145927 (external link)
Humm, seems like most people like it! I'm impressed with the photos you guys have posted up, but, my next question,I'm getting a 650D and it's coming with a standard 18 - 55mm kit lens, is it worth getting the pancake as an alternative lens?

Thanks guys!

For the price of the 18-55IS, and pancake- you could get a tamron 17-50mm f2.8...which makes more sense to me than a slow prime

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

agphotography
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 20, 2012 10:25 |  #38

Think of how many rangefinder shooters do just fine with their "slow" primes of f/2.8-3.5. They're not all super fast f/1.4 lenses.

A pancake lens' purpose is not necessarily outright speed, it is to be small and light and sharp. The canon 40 is definitely these things. Don't get so hung up on maximum apertures, I can still pull off steady shots with this lens at 1/25 @ f/2.8, 3200ISO if I'm careful.

-Abram-
www.goglanianphoto.com (external link)
500px (external link) / Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,921 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 20, 2012 10:35 |  #39

agphotography wrote in post #15146659 (external link)
Think of how many rangefinder shooters do just fine with their "slow" primes of f/2.8-3.5. They're not all super fast f/1.4 lenses.

A pancake lens' purpose is not necessarily outright speed, it is to be small and light and sharp. The canon 40 is definitely these things. Don't get so hung up on maximum apertures, I can still pull off steady shots with this lens at 1/25 @ f/2.8, 3200ISO if I'm careful.

they're also not on a crop camera that has quite a few f2.8 stabilized zooms available...

i think this lens makes sense on FF cameras... to me it doesn't make sense on a crop with the many other options...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

datadump
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 20, 2012 18:45 |  #40

This lens works super with video on a 5d3. Live view af justseems to hit the market faster and quieter during video recording.

datadump

sponsored links

4,766 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Canon 40mm Pancake lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.