Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 18 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 12:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 1st "publishing"

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Oct 18, 2012 12:18 |  #1

I'm an amateur - I've been shooting travel and HS basketball for 3 years. My photos had been used informally by the HS team coach/staff that I had 2 grandsons on.

One grandson went to local Junior College, so I went to their first scrimmage, went down on the floor and shot like a normal game. I usually send pics to my family and the coach, so I did this time also.

Lo and behold, the coach put my pics on the teams webpage <here (external link)> ... and then sent me an invite to a local JUCO jamboree being held at IMG ... and said the gate would have my name so I could park on the grounds instead of across-the-street parking.

The pics on the site aren't anything great cuz they've been downsized a lot, but I did catch a few. I discovered that corner shooting this level with my 85/1.8 can be challenging cuz the boys move faster and the basket area is more crowded. I'm going to shoot the next one with my 28/1.8 for wider FOV and hopefully crop to get some shots that I missed last time.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

sponsored links
ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 19, 2012 11:34 |  #2

Congratulations.

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

bubbygator
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 19, 2012 21:04 as a reply to  @ ZXDrew's post |  #3

Shot the JUCO Jamboree tonight. There was a guy with a Nikon there - with a 70-200 (black with a broad red ring at the base), and what looked like a 60 or 80mm. Gym shooting must have been a new venue for him, cuz he didn't know where to locate, and he didn't take many shots. Interesting.

This gym had a nice balcony running the length of the gym for video and photo - it gave my 85/1.8 enough distance for a nice FOV... but I still shot a lot from the floor with 28mm and 85mm.

Will post a link when I get one. Here's the Skydrive <link (external link)>.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 20, 2012 17:00 |  #4

Interesting comments about the Nikon shooter. I take only what I need at games for what my clients pay me for, so maybe that was what he was doing?

I looked through your skydrive and quite honestly you are overshooting and have a lot of shots that need help in terms of timing and composition. That is not addressing exposure or white balance or any other processing errors since those can be fixed.

The high angle is nice for clean shots of the guy on the ball and the guy defending him. You often have a third or fourth player that is distracting. Also I noticed a huge lack of rim/backboard action which shooting from high is very good for.

Also, lots of your shots are extremely loose. You might look into renting a 70-200 2.8 or a 300 2.8 to see the difference shooting tighter can make.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 20, 2012 17:40 |  #5

I will have to agree with what ajaffe has mentioned already. Looking through your gallery one thing that really sticks out is the lack of conflict, basketball is a sport with plenty of conflict unlike football you can see players faces which adds to a shot, like in your pic #90 player driving the paint that would have been good but timing was to early his face is covered. Practice your timing and shooting tighter. Not sure of your camera settings but the shots in your gallery are all very noisy.

As far a gear goes 70-200 and 24-70 are my standard BB gear, this year I will be adding my 200-400.

Thanks for sharing

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

bubbygator
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 20, 2012 18:02 |  #6

Thanks for the comments. I shoot 28/1.8 and 85/1.8 - my goal is not so much artistic as it is to "cover" all the players. Yes, I do like the close-action shots when I can capture them.

Here's one from PhotoBucket instead of Skydrive:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i803.photobucke​t.com …20Basketball/IM​G_8246.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

I agree about the noise - I had to add lighting in PP in order to show detail on the dark faces ... I'll try some variations next time. All the shots were at ISO 1600, 1/640, and the ones shot with 28mm were cropped a lot. I'm definitely not a pro, but I'm trying.

Gear List

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 20, 2012 22:30 |  #7

To be frank, that photo is not good. It is not cropped or composed well and the timing is off.

Face, ball, action. Doesn't have to be action with another player as stock style photos are fine, but it needs some type of action. If you miss any of the 3 it typically makes a bad photo.

Not sure what you mean by artistic though, please elaborate.

bubbygator
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 20, 2012 23:39 as a reply to  @ ajaffe's post |  #8

By "artistic", I meant that I shoot whatever action is happening - I don't wait for the exact composition. If that means I miss an aspect of doing it correctly, then I just miss it. Sometimes with the 85mm things get crowded depending how close I am to the action.

I agree with your aspects of a good composition. When I take a slow-action pic, I always try to get all 3 elements.

But, like in this one - catching the dunk was more important to me than not catching the face. The players and coaches know who they are from the back.

http://i803.photobucke​t.com …20Basketball/IM​G_8250.jpg (external link)

Gear List

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 21, 2012 11:57 |  #9

Again, not a good photo. No face. You can justify it however you want, but 30 years from now that will be harder to determine who it is and also does not do anything for anyone not in the "know" like myself.

I will read the play and predict good photo moments before they happen as well as follow the play and let the action develop and take a photo too. The difference is timing and knowing when a good photo is happening.

http://csusmcougars.co​m …05124102.aspx?p​ath=mbball (external link)
was shot looser to include the fans, but is an example of what I look for in an elevated position

bubbygator
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 21, 2012 14:54 as a reply to  @ ajaffe's post |  #10

It's not that I am avoiding faces:

http://i803.photobucke​t.com …0Basketball/IMG​_7789a.jpg (external link)

It's just that I'm NOT shooting for "30 years" recognition - these photos and most of the players will be gone in a year. I'm shooting for "right now" appreciation and encouragement of the players, rather than for recognition of my skill (or lack of) as a photographer.

I shoot about 150 pics/game and edit/keep about 100. Yes, many of them will fail the acceptance criteria of a "good" photo. But the kids do like the recognition - I know this from personal feedback.

The kids don't like calling me Bubby (which is actually Yiddish for Grandma) - they call me BubZee.

Gear List

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 21, 2012 17:29 |  #11

I highly recommend taking a look at how basketball is shot by others such as SI, ESPN, Getty, AP, etc.

If you don't want to acknowledge that you have the ability to grow and improve then fair enough. Personally complacency is what tells me I need to quit something and move on.

bubbygator
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 21, 2012 17:30 |  #12

I guess that's why I'm an amateur. Thanks for your comments.

Gear List

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 21, 2012 17:35 |  #13

If you are keeping 100 shots per game for the kids, then you cannot expect all of them to be print quality. You should watch the sports forum for some examples of good work and aspire to shoot maybe 5 or 6 of those per game. I realize the kids are happy to see all your pics, but be sure to shoot for yourself too.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

bubbygator
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 21, 2012 20:22 as a reply to  @ whuband's post |  #14

Thank you. I have other areas where I can express my (limited) competence and artistry. The nice thing about a camera is that it is very mobile.

I realize others are shooting sports better than I - every time I view the pics of DC Fan I sigh with amazement.

Gear List

PaulMedik
541 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 23, 2012 11:35 |  #15

bubbygator wrote in post #15138768 (external link)
I'm an amateur - I've been shooting travel and HS basketball for 3 years. My photos had been used informally by the HS team coach/staff that I had 2 grandsons on.

One grandson went to local Junior College, so I went to their first scrimmage, went down on the floor and shot like a normal game. I usually send pics to my family and the coach, so I did this time also.

Lo and behold, the coach put my pics on the teams webpage <here (external link)> ... and then sent me an invite to a local JUCO jamboree being held at IMG ... and said the gate would have my name so I could park on the grounds instead of across-the-street parking.

The pics on the site aren't anything great cuz they've been downsized a lot, but I did catch a few. I discovered that corner shooting this level with my 85/1.8 can be challenging cuz the boys move faster and the basket area is more crowded. I'm going to shoot the next one with my 28/1.8 for wider FOV and hopefully crop to get some shots that I missed last time.

bubbygator,

Congrats!

You are absolutely correct in that the kids love to see pics of themselves even if they aren't of pro quality or publishing material. Like you I also publish a lot of pics from each game and only a handful would be considered worthy of being keepers for pros, but the kids remember the particular plays and enjoy seeing what they did at that time.

I publish my pics to Facebook now; I used to mainly use Webshots and Fotki (And still do for full size copies), but Facebook is where the kids want them so that's where mine go. Some of my most commented upon pics are faceless and just before or after the best action, but the kids know what happened.

We should embrace our inner amateur yet strive to achieve the ability to shoot like a pro. Perhaps shoot like a pro and upload like an amateur? :lol: The most important thing is to have fun what we're doing IMO.

My Flickr (external link) | My Fotki (external link) | My YouTube (external link) MY GEAR, Gear I want, & Sold Gear

sponsored links

4,509 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 1st "publishing"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.