Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 21 Oct 2012 (Sunday) 16:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Some advice on making these better please.

xanctum
499 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 21, 2012 16:10 |  #1

Aside from my sons hand in a bad position on #2 and me not having my flash with me that day ( I know there are probably other things as well ) can I get some advice on how to make these shots better? It was just a quick impromptu outting with the kids to burn some energy. They weren't in the mood for photos that day..

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_5957 (external link) by Big-Fun (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_5934 (external link) by Big-Fun (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_5931-2 (external link) by Big-Fun (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D3 | Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Σ 35 ART | Σ 85mm F1.4 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC | Canon 580EX II | YN568EX II Flash
Facebook (external link)
website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
johndoorley
364 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 21, 2012 18:33 |  #2

The shots are nice. They capture your kids well. The hand position in #2 is fine - it adds interest and it is just the kind of thing a boy will do.

Are you looking for pictures that look like an advertisment or shots that capture your kids having a good time?

Shots 1 and 2 are fun, #3 is a bit too dark around the eyes and the expression is a bit too somber for me.

They are adorable, keep shooting, keep it fun for them and you!

Enjoy
-John

xanctum
THREAD ­ STARTER
499 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 21, 2012 18:38 |  #3

Thank you. I was a bit iffy on the hand in #2 but I don't mind it that much, it does reflect him to be honest. 3 isn't my favorite due to the shadows. I guess I am wanting some framable shots that don't just look like holiday snaps.

Canon 5D3 | Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Σ 35 ART | Σ 85mm F1.4 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC | Canon 580EX II | YN568EX II Flash
Facebook (external link)
website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 22, 2012 02:26 |  #4

Good job on #1 & 2, both should go in your brag book. -rick

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,590 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Oct 22, 2012 02:33 as a reply to  @ alazgr8's post |  #5

These shots are fine, but next time take your flash to brighten their faces and put catchlights in their eyes.

Mark

Savethemoment
488 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 22, 2012 03:57 |  #6

Only if looking for faults.. the writing on your son's shirt is a little distracting. Not so much the dots on your daughter's top - I like those! I agree some catchlights in the eyes would be nice, and a closer in version of no. 2 would be good in addition to this one.

They are lovely, esp 1 & 2!

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

Bassun
232 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 22, 2012 09:07 |  #7

So, this will be very nitpicky, but I think that's actually what you are looking for so I will try to do well...But first -- 1&2 look pretty good, 3, as you know is the weakest. I think you wanted nitpicky so I'm going for it; if not --- well, I apologize...

1: The way his right arm is sitting, it is giving an odd effect of the arm being disproportionally short. Against that you have his left arm looking extra long by the way he has it stretched up to reach out on the top of the bench. This would have been a fine pose for an adult, or even a teen; but his body doesn't fit it yet so it has him struggling to position himself as you wanted. Maybe a more natural position for him would have helped the look.
You could possibly have pulled back some of the high lights from his shins, they look a little hot to me. And maybe just a tad of lightning of the shadows on his face could have been a nice addition. It may just be my eyes, but I think you actually short focused just a tad on this shot. I don't think you quite got all the sharpness out of his eyes that you could have.
On the positives, it is obvious by his head position and smile that A: hes a happy kid which speaks volumes; and B: hes done this a time or two, lol. Great facial expression. The background and his out fit worked out perfectly especially for an impromptu outing, sure the writing is distracting; but it IS what kids wear so can't really fault that too much on this type of shot. I also think you did a great job finding great angles in this and the other two shots. Now after reading that, this is just purely nit picking, it IS a good shot!

2: My first thought is tighten up the shot. I feel like I'm too far away. Having said that, when you look at the shot in a bigger format (ie large at flickr) it works better. This may just be one of those shots that doesn't work well small but is perfectly fine as a larger print.
Again, I would consider a little dodge on their faces to fight off some of the dark spots. Maybe see what you could do to pull out the polka dots just a little more on the front of her shirt. The reflection of light off them kind of gives the appearance of over exposure but I think it's something you can fight off. As for his left hand and the flyaway hairs -- maybe if this was a couple of contemporary adults, with an urban sheen then you would want to consider them issues; but I think they both fit these subjects perfectly.
I would suggest, however to clone out the white sign in the background. You could try lightning the black frame of the bench ever so slightly just to bring back some of that detail to add a little more depth to the photo. Again, my eyes are having trouble focusing on their faces, but idk if its OOF or PP'ing.

#3 - This shot is odd... not the shot itself, but odd in that while I think as is it is the worst, I feel it is in the least need of help and could have easily been the best. I really like the pose, the composition (minus the minor elbow clip on the right), the angles, every thing. Just reflect or flash some light on his face, then if you wanted to you could desaturate his cheeks just a tad or leave the rosey reds... I think either could work. I guess you could have tried to get him to tug his shirt down a smidge where it rode up, and again, solid shirt vs text would be nice but it is what it is. Having said that, I know you didn't come planning on a shoot so I can't really say much about the lighting to be honest.

All in all, I think they are all 3 good shots and show your talent for seeing lines and picking good shooting angles. I think you did a very nice job, and have no doubt that if you had been planning on a more serious shoot you would have pulled off an even better set of shots. These shots really made me stop and think about the angles I use when shooting, I think I (and probably a few of us) too often shoot strait on, and merely turn the torso or body a tad instead of leaving the subject more natural and positioning US at the angle. Great job showing how to just that!

Bassun
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." ~~ Ansel Adams
Flickr! (external link)

sponsored links

1,073 views & 0 likes for this thread
Some advice on making these better please.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.