Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Oct 2012 (Sunday) 23:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rodeo

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 21, 2012 23:43 |  #1

How did I do? It was my first event with media access for a local news entity.

http://www.facebook.co​m/JamesStamsekPhotogra​phy (external link)

My name is James ~ Gear ~ Facebook Fan Page (external link)

sponsored links
xinvisionx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 22, 2012 08:47 |  #2

Initiating annoyingly desperate thread bump! :-)

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 22, 2012 09:15 |  #3

Looks good, but you may consider posting this thread on the Critique Corner --- By posting your photos there you are specifically requesting comments, advice and critique of value and merits of both photos and the photographer.

You may get more feedback there.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=12

_
My Gear is ---> Here

xinvisionx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 22, 2012 10:07 |  #4

Thank you!

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 22, 2012 10:13 |  #5

I'm not positive but think that photos on Facebook are most likely resized and not to the photographers favor.

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 22, 2012 10:33 |  #6

You have some nice action shots. I noticed that several would benefit from cropping to fill the frame more with the subject; the composition in some of them could also be improved by taking the action out of the middle of the frame, both vertically and horizontally.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 22, 2012 10:46 |  #7

xinvisionx wrote in post #15152430 (external link)
How did I do?

I have a suggestion for your composition. Many of the shots have action virtually leaving the frame. It's usually better if you leave space in the shot for the active elements of the scene (be it a horse, person walking, car in motion, etc.) to go to within the frame.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 22, 2012 10:47 |  #8

m3incorp wrote in post #15153942 (external link)
I'm not positive but think that photos on Facebook are most likely resized and not to the photographers favor.

I agree. Facebook seems to suck for displaying photos - especially when the viewer is not (and never will be) a Facebook member. Too much overlaying garbage was on the screen from time to time as well.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

rddelliott
206 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 22, 2012 11:47 |  #9

I think your barrel shots would be better if you get the rider coming around facing you rather than shooting their back, especially if you want to please parents. Also, you could put in the Sports category for better feedback.

ScatterCr
384 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 22, 2012 12:01 |  #10

stsva wrote in post #15154043 (external link)
You have some nice action shots. I noticed that several would benefit from cropping to fill the frame more with the subject; the composition in some of them could also be improved by taking the action out of the middle of the frame, both vertically and horizontally.

Overall, I like the series... interesting content & action. You nailed the in-camera settings & focus.

One thing that I'd fix are the horizons by using grid overlays and vertical landmarks such as fence posts or structures as guides during post-processing.

Erik
Gear | flickr (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 22, 2012 14:06 |  #11

You got some really good shots there...

A few constructive criticisms...

Your camera takes vertical shots, too, you know. Everything I looked at was horizontal. Often with horse and rider a vertical/portrait orientation works better, eliminates a lot of unnecessary and distracting background. I've always fitted my cameras with battery grips, tho mostly for the vertical controls... Because I actually shoot more in portrait orientation than in landscape.

Some of the shots are pretty distant and the action is too small a portion of the image. Get closer, wait for the subjects to get closer or use a longer telephoto. Fill your viewfinder.

Still, there are times wider scenes are neat to do... so I'm not saying don't do those, too.

You got a lot of good shots showing some of the ambiance, things happening around and outside the arena. A lot of people miss many photo opps happening around them, too focused on what's happening in the arena. But I have to think you could have gotten some more in-arena action, too.

I particularly got a laugh at the shot you took of the woman trying to photograph the action with her tablet computer. I'm seeing that more and more... It's really weird, looks like they're praying to Apple or something.

Horses' butts and the back of peoples' heads aren't very interesting (usually)... work on your location and timing to get the subjects coming toward you. There are exceptions... Such as if you get the profile of the horse and rider's faces.

Work the light... most of the time it's best to have it generally to your back. Not to say that you shouldn't work with counter-light and such... by all means do those, too. But some of your images of the action have some unfortunate shadows. I know flash is often frowned upon (Though I've used fill flash... horses almost always just ignore it... it bothers the riders more than the horses).

Night shots and low light are really tough. Most arena lighting really sucks. Sodium vapor and mercury vapor lamps are the norm and make for really weird color tints. You might try setting a custom color balance. Or, convert your images to black and white. Shadows are heavy and hard to avoid, but work to your advantage in some cases. I really like http://www.facebook.co​m …1350928180&type​=1&theater (external link) but would like to see it cropped tighter (vertical 8x10?), and maybe some other minor editing done on it.

I now shoot RAW almost exclusively, especially in tricky lighting situations. This makes for more post-production work, but allows a lot more room for adjustment and corrections when needed.

Shooting fast, it's hard to get shots squared up... that's another thing to save for post-process editing.... crop and straighten (use verticals for reference, they often are better than using a horizontal)... not that it's necessary to straighten every image. Some I skew deliberately, in fact.

And I have to agree with other responses, Facebook is a miserable place to review a large number of photos.... Plus some of the images show up distorted. I'd suggest create a free account at Flickr, or pay $25 for an annual Pro subscription that allows unlimited uploads).

It's fine to have a Facebook Fan page to promote your work. You might reduce the size of your images there.... I do no more than 700 pixels on the longest side. Also, you really need to watermark your images on Facebook (actually anywhere on the internet). They will be stolen, I guarantee you. Even if you watermark them. So make your watermark an ad that drives people to your Fan Page or website. Feel free to take a look at my Facebook photo albums, to see what I mean: http://www.facebook.co​m/amfoto1/photos_album​s (external link)

If you don't have software to batch process sizing and watermarking your images, a freebie that works really great is Fastone Photo Resizer. You need to create the watermark in another program (a png file works best), but Fastone can be used to size it and apply it, semi-transparently or not. Just do a search, download and install. There aren't any instructions (might find some on the internet), but it's pretty intuitive and easy to use.

Overall, you done great... Lots of good shots. So I hope you'll take the above as constructive feedback.

A big part of shooting these types of events is just getting out there and experimenting, learning what works and what doesn't... And taking lots and lots of shots. I rarely come home from even a small event without at least 1000 images.... Some days I shoot 2400 or more. Big, multi-day events I might take 5000 to 8000. I edit heavily and many of those images never see the light of day. But with lots of practice, I find about half are at least good enough for momento photos... maybe one or two out of ten would be good enough for stock photography... and maybe one or two out of a thousand are what I'd consider "fine are" quality.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

rddelliott
206 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 22, 2012 15:26 |  #12

Alan has some great suggestions especially about the shooting in RAW. Most of my rodeos are in good light and I also shoot about 1000 shots per day. I get a lot of shadows across the faces due to the hats that are worn but most can be improved in camera raw or whatever converter you use. Shoot and shoot more and you will find what works for you.

xinvisionx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 22, 2012 22:18 |  #13

Thank you everyone. And especially for your very in depth response Alan. It was definitely a learning experience and I'll revisit the photos when I have time to get them done. I did edit them very quickly. Thank you again everyone! :-)

sponsored links

1,979 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rodeo
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.