Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 17 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 06:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Table Shots.. Love em hate em

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 23, 2012 01:36 |  #16

I give couples around 600-900 edited photos in total. The majority of the candids of the guests are individual shots so yes normally as many guest shots as there are guests. These all get uploaded by the clients on Facebook and then social media word of mouth does the rest. Most end up as profile pictures.

I don't have a second shooter. I basically start taking shots of guests after I have taken the room setup shots and don't stop until the first dance. There is always a table waiting to be served or finished their course and waiting for the next. I only sit down for about 10 minutes to eat.

I shoot with the 70-200 and watch people for conversations, moments etc.

Here is a sample (external link)
Note these are unedited but it gives you an idea at least.

Peter

sponsored links
Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 23, 2012 02:03 |  #17

^ Very generous to share your thoughts and process. Thanks, Peter. I'll check them out.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 23, 2012 07:08 |  #18

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #15157518 (external link)
I give couples around 600-900 edited photos in total. The majority of the candids of the guests are individual shots so yes normally as many guest shots as there are guests. These all get uploaded by the clients on Facebook and then social media word of mouth does the rest. Most end up as profile pictures.

I don't have a second shooter. I basically start taking shots of guests after I have taken the room setup shots and don't stop until the first dance. There is always a table waiting to be served or finished their course and waiting for the next. I only sit down for about 10 minutes to eat.

Curious as why you posted the images to your regular face-book page and not your business face-book page ?

I definitely like the single image concept. Are you shooting with a long lens? It kinda looks like you are stealthy and then if someone happens to catch you they smile.

This past wedding I used the couple concept. I think it worked out well but it still has a forced look instead of a natural candid smile.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 23, 2012 07:21 |  #19

scorpio_e wrote in post #15158032 (external link)
Curious as why you posted the images to your regular face-book page and not your business face-book page ?

The wedding was some very good family friends. I never normally put SOOC photos up anywhere. But the wedding was in the UK and it was going to be a month before I go home to Australia to process them. I only post sneak peeks on my business Facebook page (20 per wedding).

I definitely like the single image concept. Are you shooting with a long lens? It kinda looks like you are stealthy and then if someone happens to catch you they smile.

70-200 2.8 IS MKII on the 5DMKIII. I'm normally quite some distance away. I watch people and shoot as they are enjoying themselves in conversation with other guests. Most are not looking at me but at someone across the table from them.

This past wedding I used the couple concept. I think it worked out well but it still has a forced look instead of a natural candid smile.

I also use the reflection in the LCD like a mirror so I can see what is going behind me. Spin and shoot. They are worth the extra hour or so on my feet for the word of mouth they generate.

Peter

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 23, 2012 11:16 |  #20

Hate em.

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 23, 2012 14:58 |  #21

Photobooths are starting to become popular in NZ so most of the time we just do candid shots of guests during the reception.

Every now and then we do table shots if requested. Another thing we try and do to get the guests involved is to get couple shots or small group shots as they mingle during cocktails so that they are standing up rather than sitting down.

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 23, 2012 16:16 |  #22

snakeman55 wrote in post #15158957 (external link)
Hate em.

*LOL* says it all !!!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 23, 2012 20:05 |  #23

The only time I do table shots is at some Asian weddings (mostly Vietnamese), when the bride and groom walk from table to table and everyone at each table gives them gifts, makes them drink, makes them perform a dare, etc. At those moments I'll put on my 16-35 lens (on a FF body) and capture all the hilarity.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 24, 2012 15:29 |  #24

i generally hate them too.
i love how peter gets so many sniper candids of individuals like that. i try that anyway.

and I agree that photobooths are helping with this "need" that the bride has to capture everyone that is there!
i also hate the request that i get sometimes to "make sure you get everyone walking in (or out) of the ceremony (or reception)"
really? that's not all i have going on at that point of my day :)
sure i'll get some (the hot ones especially), but all of them? pleeaaase.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 24, 2012 18:17 |  #25

bigarchi wrote in post #15164378 (external link)
i generally hate them too.
i love how peter gets so many sniper candids of individuals like that.

My usual setup is 70-200 MKII, 5D MKIII, 580 EXII, ETTL HSS FEV+2, AV mode, F3.5, spot meter of the skin, K WB to suit the environment allowing for the flash. Flash bounced straight up with a demb flip it... I effectively turn the thing into a giant point and shoot.

Peter

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 24, 2012 18:54 |  #26

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #15157518 (external link)

Pete.. you scare me. Are you sure your not my twin brother from down under:eek:... we do the exact same thing except we dont post them on facebook,, but i like the idea:lol:....if i get 10-15 minutes to eat im doing good. We bounce from table to table and get couples shots,,, detail shots are done before the guest come in and tear up the tables..Our clients love the table shots because they can send a 4x6 in the thank you cards. Ive also handed out several business cards this way as well. Kind of breaks up the down time at receptions with speeches and cake cutting...next thing you know its time to dance.

we use a 50L and an 85L anymore for this and if they are bigger rounds we break out the 35L and try to get 4 in a shot. about the only time im getting the 70-200 out is for the ceremony... loving the primes. Receptions is almost all primes for us and one body has the 24-70 and switches to the 17-35. we use 3 bodies for every wedding with 32GB cards.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 24, 2012 18:56 |  #27

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #15165132 (external link)
My usual setup is 70-200 MKII, 5D MKIII, 580 EXII, ETTL HSS FEV+2, AV mode, F3.5, spot meter of the skin, K WB to suit the environment allowing for the flash. Flash bounced straight up with a demb flip it... I effectively turn the thing into a giant point and shoot.

OMG stop itbw!:lol:......Im using a bracket as well:p

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 24, 2012 20:38 |  #28

umphotography wrote in post #15165259 (external link)
Pete.. you scare me. Are you sure your not my twin brother from down under:eek:... we do the exact same thing except we dont post them on facebook

Oh I don't post them on Facebook... the couple do after they receive all of their photos. I supply high resolution files for printing and lower resolution ones sized for Facebook. The copyright Metadata field is what appears when they upload them as the default image description. Normally couples upload a goof few hundred pics including all the candid ones.

Peter

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 24, 2012 20:41 |  #29

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #15165658 (external link)
Oh I don't post them on Facebook... the couple do after they receive all of their photos. I supply high resolution files for printing and lower resolution ones sized for Facebook. The copyright Metadata field is what appears when they upload them as the default image description. Normally couples upload a goof few hundred pics including all the candid ones.

Thats a great idea. Gonna start doin that.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

3,213 views & 0 likes for this thread
Table Shots.. Love em hate em
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.