Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 09:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-M Had a play yesterday. Like it a lot!

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,446 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Oct 21, 2012 21:24 |  #91

PETERSYMES wrote in post #15149172 (external link)
Good work on the review Simon, very helpful (subscribed)
I shall get to a local store and compare it with my 5D2 asap see how it feels, really like the idea that i can slim down on general walkabouts but still access my EF Lenses if i want to back up my current body.

Hey Pete,
You're very welcome!
And I think that after a while, the EOS-M system will really start to take off.

On the latest brochures here, it says Canon have sold over 70,000,000 EF/EF-S lenses....every one of which can be used on an EOS-M body!

Cheers for now, and hope you can really get into the menus on the EOS-M to see how it shines! Takes a minute or two, but it's worth it!

Simon :-)

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

sponsored links
arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 24, 2012 19:01 |  #92

skygod44 wrote in post #15142198 (external link)
3) Olly. Well, yes, it's certainly quick. Maybe quicker than the EOS-M in "pro" mode, but not by much. BUT, what I instantly noticed in comparison, was how fiddly the Olly is to use. Those buttons are tiny! Too small, by far. And no touch screen, either. Also, I hated the colours on the rear screen. But maybe that can be altered in a menu somewhere? And although fairly irrelevant, I don't see the point in styling it "like SLRs from yesteryear".

I don't know about the EOS-M AF speed, but I do know the 7d, 5d3, and the E-M5, and the E-M5 will easily match the 7d and 5d3 in AF speed with comparable glass (As in not a pro-sumer lens vs a kit lens). It also beats them both at low light AF, though the 5d3 is pretty close. Of course it does have issues with really fast action (sports and birds mostly), which might be the one AF situation in which the EOS-M will reliably beat it with its Hybrid AF.

The E-M5 has a touch screen. It is not entirely obvious how to use though, so I can understand you not realizing this if this was your first time using one.

I don't think the E-M5 is fiddly to use, at least not once you spend a couple hours with it and have learned how it works, and get it setup the way you like. I do totally understand what you mean about the buttons being small. After all, it is ergonomically designed primarily for the Japanese market, where hands are smaller on average than in the US. But I am a big guy with big hands, and I can work it fine. It also gets much better once you get a grip for it. The grip makes it feel much more natural in big hands and the small buttons cease to be an issue.

Back to the subject at hand though....

The main reason I got the E-M5 over the EOS-M is that I wanted to cut way back on the weight and size of my gear. The EOS-M looked like it would maybe cut my total weight and volume by about 30%.... in a few years. Meanwhile, the E-M5 cut my weight and volume by 60% and did so immediately. I actually like the Nikon 1 series over the EOS-M for this basic reason. I think they went to far with the small size of their sensor, but I think Canon went too large. Ultimately it just won't be THAT much smaller of a system, kind of defeating the purpose (at least the purpose as I see it).

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,446 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 24, 2012 23:25 |  #93

arentol wrote in post #15165284 (external link)
I don't know about the EOS-M AF speed, but I do know the 7d, 5d3, and the E-M5, and the E-M5 will easily match the 7d and 5d3 in AF speed with comparable glass...//...

Hmmm, well, with static subjects maybe.
But AF being fast with static subjects to me, is meaningless.
I mean, I can manually focus for a few seconds on a static subject, and it will still be a static subject...so who cares.
But try as I might, I can't anyone on the internet who has stated that the AF system of the E-M5 can cope with moving subjects as well as a 7D or 5D3.
Which is all that counts, really.

The E-M5 has a touch screen. It is not entirely obvious how to use though, so I can understand you not realizing this if this was your first time using one.

That I did not know. Thanks for pointing out my error.
:D

...//...
Back to the subject at hand though....
The main reason I got the E-M5 [over the EOS-M] is that I wanted to cut way back on the weight and size of my gear...//...

Quite right!
I think that's the thinking of most people.

Well, thanks for your input Mike.

Though don't forget, I'm only doing the EOS-M mini-review for fun, and because it seems there's a delay in the USA.
I've NO INTENTION of buying this Mark 1 version.
But similarly, I've no intention of buying into a whole new system away from Canon, as I want to use my EF/EF-S lenses from time to time on a new camera body, which will hopefully be an EOS-M Mk2, asap!

Cheers all,

Simon :D

6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

tomwoh
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 26, 2012 23:04 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #94

Mine showed up today, I've only taken a couple pictures inside my house. It feels more solid then I expected and it's smaller than I thought it would be, Its smaller then my 550ex flash! The couple of pictures I've looked at so far I'm happy with. The interface is very familiar other than using the touchscreen for some of the menu selections. Hopefully the weather will clear up a bit and I get a chance to take a lot more pictures.

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,446 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 27, 2012 09:20 as a reply to  @ tomwoh's post |  #95

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Great news, Tom(?)!!!!!

In that case, you can take over the thread if you like, as I'm going to be too busy (with my twin 7Ds!) over the next 10 days at least, to get to a shop to play with an EOS-M again :confused:

And by that time, you'll be 50x more into your new baby, than I could be, simply dropping into shops here and there....

So, please tell us all what you think; what you find out that I haven't discovered up to now; and feel free to post some shots too!

Regards,

Simon
:D

tomwoh
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 27, 2012 11:04 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #96

I don't consider myself much of a writer but I will post my thoughts. I'm in Washington State and it's pouring outside today and my wife has a pretty bad cold. I don't think I'm going to get much time to use it this weekend. But I will try and take some pictures and post some observations.

tomwoh
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 27, 2012 11:53 |  #97

Here are some pictures I took in scene intelligence mode. In that mode it's pretty quick to bump up the ISO. Which of course has its pro and cons.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: script

This was hand held no flash. Both of these are not edited they are straight off the camera
The images aren't showing for me, here is the link
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: script

http://www.flickr.com …8128057561/in/p​hotostream (external link)

With a 270EXII flash, I was only a couple feet away from the subject. The picture is a bit overexposed but nothing I couldn't fix in my favorite editor.
The images aren't showing for me, here is the link
http://www.flickr.com …8128057561/in/p​hotostream (external link)

tomwoh
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 28, 2012 12:03 |  #98

Been a crazy weekend so far, we lost power for about 8 hours yesterday, so I wasn't taking pictures :-) . My future daughter in-law is an amazing costume designer. She was in full costume for some gaming conference yesterday and asked me to take some pictures. I will post some when I get her permission. I also went outside "when it wasn't raining" and got to take some pictures.

Edited: Here is a link to a picture of my daughter in-law, every piece of the costume was done by her, she made the skull's with expanding foam, spackle and yarn..
https://skydrive.live.​com …&authkey=!AMK8k​IC6XwSePd0 (external link)

For full disclosure, I consider myself someone who likes to take pictures, (no expert), growing up I had a dark room and did a lot of photography with film. I have a Ti1 (currently not functional) I've had a couple Canon point and shoot cameras. (Haven’t found one I like) The thought behind buying the EOS-M was could I be happy with something in-between these two. Also I didn't want to lose my investment in lenses, I only have 4 but still I didn't want to "throw" those away.

So far

Pros:
I like being able to pick the focus point by touching the screen
Size and weight
Picture quality
AF seems fine in good light (see comment in the cons)
Touch screen is bright
The interface is no issue, I am used to not having the touch screen and I forget I have it and just use the buttons on the back of the camera

Cons
AF is very poor in any low light situations (I've only tried the defaults)
When I turn the camera to shoot vertically my fingers naturally cover the AF focus light (training myself not to do that) which makes point one above worse.

splbound
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 28, 2012 16:40 as a reply to  @ tomwoh's post |  #99

FWIW, Jessops at New Oxford St has a Black EOS M with 18 55 M lens on display to try out.

Had a play with it and like the size and actually found the touch screen to be very usable.
Comparing it to the Olympus OMD on display, I felt the AF to take about twice as long to lock on.
The EOS M also felt nice to hold and operate.

The actual defining factor was when I asked my wife which was easier to use (I intend, to have her use the thing as I want to be in more holiday snaps) and she said the EOS M as she felt at home with the menus and operation with the touchscreen controls. The OMD in comparison felt a little too complex for her, as well as a little bulkier.

Faster AF would have been nice, but for the everyday shots (mostly static tourist type photo's) it will do the job. It will also be nice to be able to hand it over to someone to take our photo without them being intimidated by the camera. One final motivation was the price. It is £200 cheaper for the EOS M with the twin lens kit over the OMD with kit lens. Just need to buy the EF adapter when it comes out and I will have access to my EF lens collection.

I now have the EOS M twin lens kit currently on order from digitalrev. Hoping to have it In my hands in time for my business trip to Washington DC, where I will give it a workout. If it doesn't work out it will go back and I will get the OMD.

For any serious photo work I will always have my trusted 5dmkii and 7d. I am really looking forward to not having to lug around the DSLR's for the everyday shots, I feel really limited every time I take the G7. This EOS M should make a great replacement.

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 29, 2012 15:28 |  #100

FYI - Beach Camera (Canon Authorized) has them in stock.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 29, 2012 16:14 |  #101

$1265.00 NZD at Photo and video for the eos-m, kit 18-55 and 90ex. Same price as the 650d kit.

Not too bad I think.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

splbound
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 30, 2012 11:34 as a reply to  @ RobDickinson's post |  #102

Excellent! The EOS M is in my hands but I have no SD card with me, have time to charge the battery. I have to wait till I get home to check it out properly but everything is as expected from my handling at the store.

Now waiting for that adapter to come into stock so I can try using it as a rear lens cap for the rest of my EF lenses.

The size and weight of the system with the 22mm mounted is great compared to my DSLR's. A great upgrade over my old G7.

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 30, 2012 18:09 |  #103

Mine has shipped.. I was too late to upgrade the shipping... so it will take 5-7 days.. bummer

Early Adopter

splbound
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 31, 2012 06:15 as a reply to  @ SPDnTRXI's post |  #104

Had a play with it some more today, so about a day of use. Posted my first thoughts here:

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=15189901&pos​tcount=111

I quite like it. It's fun to use.

sneakerpimp
665 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 31, 2012 19:50 as a reply to  @ splbound's post |  #105

mine due to arrive tomorrow :cool:

Canon EOS M | G7 X | S90

sponsored links

62,952 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS-M Had a play yesterday. Like it a lot!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.