Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

To T4i, or not to T4i, that is the question

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 24, 2012 20:34 |  #1

I'm back after a long time from being absent in this forum! I had the T2i in my hands for a while, but then I had to sell it, and besides my main reason, I didn't like not having a swivel screen.

Anyways, i'm back and ready to fully invest in equipment. I ORIGINALLY really wanted the 60D, but when I held it in my hands, it felt too big/heavy for my small hands :-|. In my mind i'm currently between the Canon T3i, or the (dare I say it in this forum...) Nikon D5100:shock:.

But then the T4i came out... I haven't heard any really "amazing" things about it, nothing that sets it apart from the T3i besides video AF, but I've been hearing it's not that great anyways. But my partner has become that little subconcious voice in the back of my head and keeps telling me to get the T4i, because "newer technology is always better".

What are your opinions on these cameras? Is the T4i a good buy? Is there another camera that compares to the 60D but is lighter? Is there something I need to consider that will make it easier for me to choose?:D

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links
RogerC11
467 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 24, 2012 20:36 |  #2

i'd grab the t3i and spend the rest on good glass.

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 24, 2012 20:39 |  #3

I have not played with the T4i but I feel that you maybe better off with the T3i. Reason is that the AF in video mode is really slow to focus.

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 24, 2012 21:04 |  #4

Grab a t3i and use magic lantern if you need video focus.

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 24, 2012 22:38 |  #5

Does the T4i have anything new to bring to the table at all besides the AF?
And should I get the camera with the kit lens to start? Or jump right in to 50mm f/1.4 and such?

Cheers,
Nora

Sklar
197 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 24, 2012 22:58 |  #6

Naraly wrote in post #15166085 (external link)
Does the T4i have anything new to bring to the table at all besides the AF?
And should I get the camera with the kit lens to start? Or jump right in to 50mm f/1.4 and such?

newer processor on the t4i

usdm
212 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 24, 2012 23:06 as a reply to  @ Sklar's post |  #7

Not sure if thsi will help, but here is a comparison by Dave Dougdale:

http://youtu.be/s2EtxQ​6Obik (external link)

http://imagedphotograp​hy.com (external link)
Seeker of the "AH HA" moments....

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 24, 2012 23:30 |  #8

usdm wrote in post #15166151 (external link)
Not sure if thsi will help, but here is a comparison by Dave Dougdale:

http://youtu.be/s2EtxQ​6Obik (external link)

I was just watching that video the other day:thumbs up: It's a really great video and comparison. But it left me thinking the 60D as a little better, but I still don't like how it felt in my hands (too big). :confused:

Cheers,
Nora

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 25, 2012 00:34 |  #9

If you're going to be using this primarily or exclusively for video, then the T4i's autofocus will be an improvement if you use it with a Canon STM lens.

If you're going to be using it primarily for still shots then the T4i's autofocus will be an improvement all around, as it uses cross-type points everywhere, and that is a significant advantage for both servo tracking work and for still shots, because it allows you to keep the subject located where you want in the frame while retaining autofocus.

The bottom line is that aside from the additional controls the 60D provides, the T4i is essentially its equivalent, and is actually better in some respects. Since the 60D is too big for your hands, the T4i is the logical choice here. It's far more important that the camera feel comfortable than that it be a little more advanced. If it's not comfortable to carry, hold, and use, then you'll be less inclined to use it at all.

The only reason you might consider the T3i instead of the T4i is so that you can put the difference towards other things. However, that difference is about $170. If that price difference is going to be difficult for you to recover over a relatively short period of time, then the T3i is probably the thing to get. However, if that price difference can be recovered relatively quickly, then I'd go for the T4i. If you're planning on keeping the camera for a long time, then I'd go for the T4i in that event as well.

Bottom line: go for the T4i if you can.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 25, 2012 05:29 |  #10

I bought the 650D (T4i) for the wife when it was first released and I really rate it highly. I had a 60D as a backup to my 5D3 at the time and when I compared the 650D to the 60D the features of the 650D were better. It has a good burst speed and buffer size due to its Digic5 processor, the ISO ability is great, the AF ability is very good (fast and accurate) and the touchscreen is very responsive and easy to use.

The only thing the 60D was better for is the ergonomics. The 2 dials and 2 screens make it easier to handle for someone who is used to it. If you are used to handling the Rebel bodies then that isn't an option. Compared to a 600D the 650D is the better by far.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 25, 2012 18:21 |  #11

kcbrown wrote in post #15166400 (external link)
If you're going to be using this primarily or exclusively for video, then the T4i's autofocus will be an improvement if you use it with a Canon STM lens.

If you're going to be using it primarily for still shots then the T4i's autofocus will be an improvement all around, as it uses cross-type points everywhere, and that is a significant advantage for both servo tracking work and for still shots, because it allows you to keep the subject located where you want in the frame while retaining autofocus.

The bottom line is that aside from the additional controls the 60D provides, the T4i is essentially its equivalent, and is actually better in some respects. Since the 60D is too big for your hands, the T4i is the logical choice here. It's far more important that the camera feel comfortable than that it be a little more advanced. If it's not comfortable to carry, hold, and use, then you'll be less inclined to use it at all.

The only reason you might consider the T3i instead of the T4i is so that you can put the difference towards other things. However, that difference is about $170. If that price difference is going to be difficult for you to recover over a relatively short period of time, then the T3i is probably the thing to get. However, if that price difference can be recovered relatively quickly, then I'd go for the T4i. If you're planning on keeping the camera for a long time, then I'd go for the T4i in that event as well.

Bottom line: go for the T4i if you can.

Very well put, makes sense. Thank you. I plan it to be a camera I keep for a long time, so I hope it stays that way. Really leaning towards the T4i with the STM lens.

Cheers,
Nora

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 25, 2012 18:26 |  #12

modchild wrote in post #15166861 (external link)
I bought the 650D (T4i) for the wife when it was first released and I really rate it highly. I had a 60D as a backup to my 5D3 at the time and when I compared the 650D to the 60D the features of the 650D were better. It has a good burst speed and buffer size due to its Digic5 processor, the ISO ability is great, the AF ability is very good (fast and accurate) and the touchscreen is very responsive and easy to use.

The only thing the 60D was better for is the ergonomics. The 2 dials and 2 screens make it easier to handle for someone who is used to it. If you are used to handling the Rebel bodies then that isn't an option. Compared to a 600D the 650D is the better by far.

Thanks for your input! Glad to hear the features on the 650D are better, so it really does have something more than just AF:cool: :thumbs up:

My list ranking as of now:
1. T4i
2. N. D5100
3. T3i

Cheers!

Cheers,
Nora

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 26, 2012 06:58 |  #13

You'll hear a lot of staunch supporters for older Rebels.. I used to have a t1i- and I liked it- but it had its shortcomings... The t4i has a LOT of useful features that other Rebels have NEVER had.

Video AF is just one... One of the reasons I went from a T1i to a 7D- was AF- specifically all cross type AF.. The T4i has this- unlike its brethren. Focus accuracy.. Don't know where the link is to it- but I think it was Lens Rental that did a comparison of various bodies- and as far as accuracy is concerned- the T4i was more accurate than the other Rebels, and even more accurate than some of the more "Pro" bodies - like the 60D/7D.. ( I have a 7D- and I noted that the t4i is more accurate myself- with nearly every lens I own ). the Touchscreen kind of makes up for some of the missing controls that better bodies have. I love having the tilt-swivel screen for composition... Having a little higher ISO capabilities is also nice.

So, in the end- there's quite a bit of difference between the T4i and its earlier brethren... Enough to warrant the price- well, all things newer tend to be priced higher anyways..

Link to part of the lensrental series on focusing.. http://www.lensrentals​.com …ity-part-3b-canon-cameras (external link)

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,930 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 26, 2012 09:01 |  #14

Yeah, I think the cross-type AF points would push the T4i over the hump past the T3i (for stills) if you're buying new.

Regarding differences with the 60D, keep in mind that there are more custom settings in the 60D, it's more weatherproof, and a much tougher (durable) body. Also, the rear dial can be used while shooting, but the touchscreen (T4i) can't. It's a better body for photography, during the actual shooting, even with fewer features (like if you need to change aperture and shutter speed without coming off the viewfinder). The 60D is a bit old now though, so I'd seriously consider a used one if you went that way ($600-$650) so you don't end up taking a big loss if it's replaced in the lineup.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 26, 2012 14:24 |  #15

Just make sure you do the proper "due diligence" on understanding the AF in video mode of the T4i. On paper it sounds great, but watch demonstrations to make sure you understand how good it really is. Would suck to spend more on the T4i and then find out it isn't the AF you were expecting. Just some forewarning. (Same goes for the burst rate of the T4i)
I thought it was awesome when seeing the spec sheet, but watching video reviews/demos I thought "good on paper, not quite the same in practice"

You seem to be really looking into options well, so I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sponsored links

4,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
To T4i, or not to T4i, that is the question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.