Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 09:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod bag thoughts...

Jptenberg
224 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 24, 2012 09:48 |  #1

So, my old Promaster tripod bag is falling apart, and I need something new for my pod. Currently, my setup is Gitzo 3541LS with RRS TA 3 leveling base holding up an Arca-Swiss Z1 with an RRS lever clamp.

I was looking at the RRS bag, but I don't know if the Gitzo will fit into it as the interior dimentions are listed as 4.7", and I measure the Gitzo to be 5". Also, even though it looks like a stellar bag, I'm not really keen on the big RRS logo on the side that advertises an expensive pod inside.

What does everyone else use? I want quality, but I would like it to be as small as possible and plain outside would be great too. With the head on it, my pod is around 28" collapsed by about 5" around at the spider.

I am not really concerned about buget, but would like to keep it under $150 unless more $ is justified.

Thanks for your help

5D3 | 7D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200L IS II | 100-400L | 24LII | TS-E 24LII | 100L | 135L | 15-85 | Zeiss 50 1.4 | Tokina 11-16 | 580EXII | 430 EXII | Gitzo 3541LS | RRS Leveling base | Arca-Swiss Z1 | RRS Lever Clamp | Gitzo 2542T | Acratech GP-s | RRS TFA-01 with BH-25LR | B+W MRC CP Filters | Hoya ND Filters | Clik-Elite packs | Crumpler bags

sponsored links
AVService
276 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 24, 2012 10:18 |  #2

I have 2 Pelican bags that I really like and they were under $50.00 too.

They evidently discontinued them recently but they can be found new on ebay still too. They made 3 lengths and though they seem a little like the other cheap crap they are somewhat nicer and heavier duty too.

I like them and will likely pick up another if I find one.

7D | 40Dx2 | 17-55 2.8 | 70-200 2.8L | 10-22 | 24-70 2.8L | 550EX | 430EX | Too Many Bags!

vsg28
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 24, 2012 10:26 |  #3

I had a very nice Hakuba bag from Amazon (the 32" one I believe) for $40 with Amazon prime. Very spacious with plenty of space for any tripod. It also has a front pocket for accessories such as a Sidekick or an extra head. Now I just use the bag that came with my Induro.

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon SX30 IS (modified for IR), Rokinon 14mm, Canon 24-105 L IS, Sigma 50mm, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II, Canon 100mm L IS, Kenko 1.4x Pro DG, Canon 2x II extender, Yongnuo YN-565EX, Induro CT414 with Induro BHL-3 and GHB-A

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 24, 2012 11:40 |  #4

I have yet to find a good Gitzo/Manfrotto/RRS quality padded tripod bag that isnt too long for the 3541LS legs. They all seem to be made for longer legs.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 24, 2012 11:42 |  #5

Seen good reports on this one - it's only $11.70 (says it holds a Gitzo)

http://www.amazon.com …ords=manfrotto+​tripod+bag (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 24, 2012 11:44 |  #6

rick_reno wrote in post #15163511 (external link)
Seen good reports on this one - it's only $11.70 (says it holds a Gitzo)

http://www.amazon.com …ords=manfrotto+​tripod+bag (external link)

I have a small bag like that for a mini on the go off camera lighting kit and its not padded. Just a thin canvas like fabric with a cheap strap and zipper. For my $1k+ support setups I like something built like the Gitzo/RRS/Manfrotto bags. If you havent seen/owned one you should check them out, they are on a whole different level!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Jptenberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 24, 2012 22:18 |  #7

Well, I've looked around, and not found anything that fts the bill, as all bags seem to be either too long, or not big enough around for the systematic. I called RRS and talked to Spencer, and he had a 3 series Gitzo, but it wasn't the systematic, on hand. He said that it would fit into the RRS Medium bag (which has the perfect length for me) but the fit was really tight. I think that the Syst is wider than the regular 3 seires, so it appears that this won't work, and the Large RRS is a full 7 inches longer, which is 7inches longer than I need.

Has anybody used the Manfrotto 80 padded bag? It looks like it might be gigantic in a couple photos, but not that big in some others. Can anyone tell me if this is a rediculously big bag for my needs?

I really hate to go with something unpadded, as I never leave home without my pod, and I hate to baby it when throwing it into the trunk or back seat or whatever.

5D3 | 7D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200L IS II | 100-400L | 24LII | TS-E 24LII | 100L | 135L | 15-85 | Zeiss 50 1.4 | Tokina 11-16 | 580EXII | 430 EXII | Gitzo 3541LS | RRS Leveling base | Arca-Swiss Z1 | RRS Lever Clamp | Gitzo 2542T | Acratech GP-s | RRS TFA-01 with BH-25LR | B+W MRC CP Filters | Hoya ND Filters | Clik-Elite packs | Crumpler bags

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 24, 2012 23:27 as a reply to  @ Jptenberg's post |  #8

I have a Think Tank Big Bazooka and love it. Heavy padding and a lot of interior room. It's no longer in production but there may be places that still have some in stock like this place (at least their site says it's in stock):

http://www.durys.com …nk-Tank-Big-Bazooka-Fits/ (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 24, 2012 23:37 |  #9

ben_r_ wrote in post #15163499 (external link)
I have yet to find a good Gitzo/Manfrotto/RRS quality padded tripod bag that isnt too long for the 3541LS legs. They all seem to be made for longer legs.

I concur with Ben. I have a RRS Large tripod bag and it is about 6 inches to long for my Gitzo 3541. However, I love the build of the RRS bag....just wish it was a little shorter.

Bryan

My Gear List

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 25, 2012 00:36 |  #10

Jptenberg wrote in post #15162982 (external link)
So, my old Promaster tripod bag is falling apart, and I need something new for my pod. Currently, my setup is Gitzo 3541LS with RRS TA 3 leveling base holding up an Arca-Swiss Z1 with an RRS lever clamp.

I was looking at the RRS bag, but I don't know if the Gitzo will fit into it as the interior dimentions are listed as 4.7", and I measure the Gitzo to be 5". Also, even though it looks like a stellar bag, I'm not really keen on the big RRS logo on the side that advertises an expensive pod inside.

What does everyone else use? I want quality, but I would like it to be as small as possible and plain outside would be great too. With the head on it, my pod is around 28" collapsed by about 5" around at the spider.

I am not really concerned about buget, but would like to keep it under $150 unless more $ is justified.

Thanks for your help

OP, look into the interior bags of the RRS again. I contacted RRS and they state that some of their dimension refer to the THINNER portion of the bag (i.e. for the legs rather than the head). I have a Gitzo 2542LS and ordered the medium sized tripod bag from RRS and very happy with the product. The interior dimensions appeared small but my tripod fit perfectly due to them using the leg dimensions rather than the head dimensions.

AVService
276 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 25, 2012 06:44 |  #11

If you are really having this bad a time finding just the right bag???
Look at Porta Brace!

I don't think any other place offers the variety of pro quality bags designed for daily production use and full of features

7D | 40Dx2 | 17-55 2.8 | 70-200 2.8L | 10-22 | 24-70 2.8L | 550EX | 430EX | Too Many Bags!

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 25, 2012 07:29 |  #12

I use a Kinesis bag... it's pretty nice

Early Adopter

Jptenberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 25, 2012 10:30 |  #13

After looking through all of the recommendations (thanks guys) I have decided to try a Medium RRS bag. It will be tight, but I think it will fit. When it shows up next week, I'll update and post some pics.

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 25, 2012 10:36 |  #14

vsg28 wrote in post #15163176 (external link)
I had a very nice Hakuba bag from Amazon (the 32" one I believe) for $40 with Amazon prime. Very spacious with plenty of space for any tripod. It also has a front pocket for accessories such as a Sidekick or an extra head. Now I just use the bag that came with my Induro.

+1 on the Hakuba. The front pocket comes in handy is padded a bit. For the price, it can't be beat. Comes with nylon carry strap and handles.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …PSTC_200_Tripod​_Case.html (external link)

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

mjww
675 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 27, 2012 07:27 |  #15

I had an older Manfrotto tripod that did not have a bag so I decided to get one. After searching and not finding anything to my liking, I visited an upholstery guy. He made me a nice heavy duty bag from teflon coated marine canvas. I was able to choose the color, type of inside padding and he even added outside pockets to hold the snow shoes and the little allen key and socket that came with the tripod. When I got rid of it, the buyer said that he wanted the bag more than the tripod. I know it cost me under $75 but can't remember the actual price. But it is worth a look for that "perfect" bag!

Equipment list - According to the wife - "how many more lenses do you need? Yet another camera?"  ???

sponsored links

4,464 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod bag thoughts...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.