Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 23 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 20:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My best moon yet...

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 23, 2012 20:58 |  #1

So if you read my post in the talk section, I picked up a Celestron AstroMaster 114EQ the other day, and then today I ordered the adapters to mount my 350D. Being the ever impatient one, I played around a little tonight.

This image is handheld looking through the 20mm eyepiece, with my nifty fifty. ISO 800, f/1.8, 1/50. A little tweaking in LR/PS, cropped out the square (as it was soft in upper right and showed the edge of the eyepiece), and this is what I ended up with. How did I do? Oh, and I'm not really sure what % the crop ends up, but I think it's a 50% crop.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8472/8117782437_a6ebabe397_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/beefer518/81177​82437/  (external link)
moon-scope-1 (external link) by KirkS518 (external link), on Flickr

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links
STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 24, 2012 03:13 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Looks pretty good to me...:D

One, and a crop, from tonight...

Usually use the 100-400 on 7D hand held, but I decided to get some extra reach with the 2x converter (have to use live view to focus), so put it on the tripod and used a remote shutter...

Original

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Moon II 2828 (external link) by Speedscene Photography and Design (external link), on Flickr

Light crop
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Moon II 2828 crop (external link) by Speedscene Photography and Design (external link), on Flickr

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 24, 2012 09:55 |  #3

both these are nice, those 2nd ones posted are fantastic for handheld

edge2edge
142 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 24, 2012 11:36 |  #4

rick_reno wrote in post #15163018 (external link)
both these are nice, those 2nd ones posted are fantastic for handheld

+1!!!!

http://maptacsphotogra​phy.com/Home (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/MapTacsPhotography?​ref=hl (external link)

Geejay
793 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 24, 2012 17:33 |  #5

Cool. I finally got a half decent one recently...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i42.photobucket​.com …eJayW/General/T​heMoon.jpg (external link)

300mm with 2.0x handheld.... :-)

You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up.

STIC
Goldmember
1,627 posts
Gallery: 360 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 25, 2012 02:19 as a reply to  @ Geejay's post |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I hate to tell you guys...but, your moons are all up the wrong way...:p

7D MarkII l 50 1.8 STM l15-85 IS USM l 100-400 IS L l 2x converter l 580EX II l Wireless remote l A computer l Some software l A vehicle to get me around...;)

Skul
92 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 25, 2012 04:35 |  #7

STIC wrote in post #15166588 (external link)

Shhh, they don't know any better.:D

Geejay
793 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 25, 2012 11:03 |  #8

STIC wrote in post #15166588 (external link)

Sorry, didn't mention I was doing a handstand while taking the photo. Didn't want to be thought of as a show-off...:p

You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up.

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 01, 2012 00:16 |  #9

Ok, so I got my T-mount and adapter, and took some practice shots of Mr Moon. To some degree, I like the other shot better (the one handheld through the eyepiece). I think that I'm not getting the magnification I could. I tried Jupiter, but got some pretty poor results, although I did capture 3 of her (his?) moons. Will a Barlow lens help?

This is not cropped, and original size is U/L'd on flickr -

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8463/8143754059_89c51d39bf_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/beefer518/81437​54059/  (external link)
IMG_2458 (external link) by KirkS518 (external link), on Flickr

Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 02, 2012 04:37 |  #10

Your Digiscoping image is far better than your direct image.
I am not sure why but I do see this paradoxical effect commonly where higher quality set up yields worse image...

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 02, 2012 15:27 |  #11

I felt that way too. The T-mount adapter I have has no lens/magnification. Could that be the issue? Should I go ahead an invest in a Barlow lens? And should I get a 2x or a 3x?

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 02, 2012 20:27 |  #12

Theoretically, higher the magnification, lower the transmitted light, more distortion and worse image, but you do agree with me that logic don't work here. Still I recommend 2x if you have a good glass like 8 inch or so but 3x with lower set up. Seems it is the final magnification that makes the final word not the quality as even my 100-400, stacked with 1.4x and 2x TC, yields far less impressive that the first image here in display and then my very cheap lunar meade image on a telescope, gives a far better image.
Seems math is not working here...

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

calypsob
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 03, 2012 17:20 |  #13

KirkS518 wrote in post #15193281 (external link)
Ok, so I got my T-mount and adapter, and took some practice shots of Mr Moon. To some degree, I like the other shot better (the one handheld through the eyepiece). I think that I'm not getting the magnification I could. I tried Jupiter, but got some pretty poor results, although I did capture 3 of her (his?) moons. Will a Barlow lens help?

This is not cropped, and original size is U/L'd on flickr -

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/beefer518/81437​54059/  (external link)
IMG_2458 (external link) by KirkS518 (external link), on Flickr

this is a tad over exposed and you caught the light shining directly onto the moon so you wont see as much shadow detail. Also the 100-400L is a fluorite lens with CA treatment which will produce a much nicer image than a cheap reflector. Reflectors do no produce chromatic aberrations because they are a mirror however cheaply ground parabolas that are common in cheap mirrors tend to produce a lower quality image. One thing I learned the other night was that you can slightly adjust focus and focus stack the moon which is pretty cool. If you want to do planetary imaging you need to shoot a video through the telescope of jupiter and then compile each video frame and stack the results. It will still be the size of a pea on your image but you can stack and crop the results.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

calypsob
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 03, 2012 17:24 |  #14

Also I have found that switching your canon to monochrome for moon shots manages the colors a little better.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 10, 2012 00:51 as a reply to  @ calypsob's post |  #15

Ok. So I'm (finally) looking into a Barlow lens, and I think I'm going to go with this Meade from Adorama (external link). For the price it has very good reviews, and price is a concern.

My question is, I have this T-adapter (external link), and a T mount. Will that be what I need for my 2nd attempt?

And calypsob - great idea on focus adjust and stack. That pic of the moon was what the moon was the night the t-adapter came in, and was more of just a test. Of course, after that, there have been too many clouds to do much!

sponsored links

4,660 views & 0 likes for this thread
My best moon yet...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.