Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 09:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Info on 6D

clacson
60 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 11, 2012 03:20 |  #76

KenjiS wrote in post #15107066 (external link)
My concern with that is that in 2 months they might have sold out of 5DIIs brand new in box at stores and used prices might creep up a bit more because of supply/demand

When the rush in the December for the Holiday season is over, the street price of the 6D will line up. Hope to see the price tag like 1700 €, now the cheapest one in Finland is below 1900 €. EOS 7D is about 1300 €, EOS 5D2 about 1800 €, EOS 5D3 about 2900 € and finally 60D is about 900 €.
NB! All prices include the local 23% VAT and are the body only,

| Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 DG II HSM |
| Canon EOS M | EF-M 11-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EOS EF-M adapter |
| Film Age: Canon EOS 33v, Canon EOS 5 |

sponsored links
KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Gallery: 555 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 11, 2012 03:22 |  #77

I believe US pricing has the 7D at $1399, 5DII at $1799, 6D is $2199 and the 5DIII is sitting at $3499 officially with frequent sales bringing it down to $2899 or so...

I COULD jump now, Grab a 5DII and have some fun then sell it off in a few months (Or sell my 7D and 15-85) But my gut keeps telling me i want a 5DIII...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,093 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 11, 2012 06:02 |  #78

Sirrith wrote in post #15106299 (external link)
You're right, the sensor on the 6D is very slightly smaller, its ~0.1mm smaller in each dimension, but because it has less pixels, the pixel pitch on the 6D is 6.55 microns vs the 6.25 on the 5DIII (and 6.4 on the 5DII).

Ok fair enough (I hadn't done the calculation), but would that difference be noticeable to the naked eye? Assuming you're not pixel peeping?

Apricane IG Portraits (external link) IG Travel/Street (external link)
Capture One | Affinity Photo | ACDSee | Bridge
a7 III | 35 ƒ1.8 | 85 ƒ1.8 | E 70-350G
EOS RP | 40 | 100L | ∑24-105A
EOS M6 | 22 ƒ2

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 11, 2012 08:16 |  #79

I think the factor that helps people decide between the 6D, 5Dii and 5Diii is what they photograph. Among many other differences, the 5Diii has an autofocus system that almost everyone agrees dominates the the 5Dii and (on paper) 6D autofocus.

I shoot weddings and events - I'm looking for a second FF body but can't justify the price tag of the 5Diii, so the toss up for me is another 5Dii or the 6D. I'm leaning toward the 6D, but the 5Dii is such a solid performer and I almost just want to get another one.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

munzzzzzzz
THREAD ­ STARTER
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 11, 2012 08:23 |  #80

Honestly, I wouldn't be all that surprised if the high ISO performance was on par with the 5DIII. There are enough other differences between the 6D and 5DIII (AF, max shutter speed, x-sync, build quality, controls) that they don't really need to cripple the high ISO performance to segregate the bodies into two distinct markets. In fact, while almost everything is still speculation at this point, the impression I have gotten is that it is supposed to excel at low light performance. My prediction is that IQ will be very similar, it will be everything else that separates the two.

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 11, 2012 09:22 |  #81

munzzzzzzz wrote in post #15107651 (external link)
Honestly, I wouldn't be all that surprised if the high ISO performance was on par with the 5DIII. There are enough other differences between the 6D and 5DIII (AF, max shutter speed, x-sync, build quality, controls) that they don't really need to cripple the high ISO performance to segregate the bodies into two distinct markets. In fact, while almost everything is still speculation at this point, the impression I have gotten is that it is supposed to excel at low light performance. My prediction is that IQ will be very similar, it will be everything else that separates the two.

I would agree completely.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,607 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 11, 2012 09:33 |  #82

munzzzzzzz wrote in post #15107651 (external link)
... they don't really need to cripple the high ISO performance to segregate the bodies into two distinct markets.... .

I don't think Canon can afford to cripple anything right now. They have lost the lead when comparing sensor performance and camera performance as well especially in the mid range cameras, and that can easily translate into loosing the lead for market share as well.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Photobug612
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 25, 2012 07:23 as a reply to  @ post 15070704 |  #83

lens correction

I consider myself to be an advanced amateur. I have preordered the Canon 6D and plan to use it with the Tamron 28 - 300 all in one.
Is lens correction feature new? Will it likely only be applicable to Canon lens.
Thanks

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,253 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 25, 2012 07:49 |  #84

Photobug612 wrote in post #15167105 (external link)
I consider myself to be an advanced amateur. I have preordered the Canon 6D and plan to use it with the Tamron 28 - 300 all in one.
Is lens correction feature new? Will it likely only be applicable to Canon lens.
Thanks

"Lens Correction" is relatively new but it won't work with 3rd party lenses, and even if it did, it won't turn a mediocre lens into a great lens.

More info here: http://www.usa.canon.c​om …_display/EOS_Ad​vantage_IQ (external link)

IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/photo%20stuff/Photo9/_1x-3.jpg

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 25, 2012 07:56 |  #85

msowsun wrote in post #15167156 (external link)
"Lens Correction" is relatively new but it won't work with 3rd party lenses, and even if it did, it won't turn a mediocre lens into a great lens.

More info here: http://www.usa.canon.c​om …_display/EOS_Ad​vantage_IQ (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

Interesting. It doesn't mention on the CA correction if its jpeg or RAW; I would presume its jpeg only, so that in RAW you still would need to correct CA in PP ... Can anyone confirm this, who has used it on the cameras listed with the exception of the 6D of course?

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,607 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 25, 2012 08:09 |  #86

ddk632 wrote in post #15167175 (external link)
Interesting. It doesn't mention on the CA correction if its jpeg or RAW; I would presume its jpeg only, so that in RAW you still would need to correct CA in PP ... Can anyone confirm this, who has used it on the cameras listed with the exception of the 6D of course?

I think that is a good assumption as raw files should be the output of the sensor before any post processing is applied.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,140 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 25, 2012 08:32 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #87

Provided it's updated to the 2.x.x firmware, the 7D can do chromatic abberation correction too, but not on the fly. However, there is now an ability to process RAW images in-camera, and if you do that, you can not only do the vignetting compensation (peripheral illumination, as Canon named it), but also distortion and CA correction.
But only when converting RAW images to jpegs in the camera after exposure. Peripheral illumination correction is the only such feature the 7D can apply in conjuction with exposure.

Anders

Photobug612
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 26, 2012 07:07 |  #88

Thanks for all the great replies, I am new to this forum.
Hope to get the D6 before a planned trip to NYC mid December.
One lens I do already have, Canon EF 35mm 2.0, is in the lens correction database.

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 26, 2012 07:15 |  #89

Photobug612 wrote in post #15171196 (external link)
Thanks for all the great replies, I am new to this forum.
Hope to get the D6 before a planned trip to NYC mid December.
One lens I do already have, Canon EF 35mm 2.0, is in the lens correction database.

Hey if you don't get the 6D before your trip, and it's available by Dec 10th as B&H website currently states, there's always the B&H Superstore! Worth a visit even if you do have the camera already. I went to NYC last year with my family and the B&H store was on my list of destinations :D Picked some goodies while I was there, of course.

Slightly off topic but I did mention you can get a 6D there if it's available...

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

Photobug612
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 26, 2012 07:20 as a reply to  @ ddk632's post |  #90

That's a great suggestion as we will be in Manhattan. Only my second trip should be awesome that time of year.

sponsored links

19,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
Info on 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.