Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
8,160 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 26, 2012 08:48 |  #181

lehmanncpa wrote in post #15171144 (external link)
Mine works great. My Cinch was ordered on 9/26, was shipped out on 10/13 and I received it yesterday (just in case you need that information to determine what batch the faulty one may have been in).

I ordered mine Sept. 20, and was shipped on Oct. 6th. I would have to say mine does not work great. It is hard to shorten, but releasing it to lengthen is much easier. I wondered about this when I got it, but thought maybe it would get easier in time. Now I am wondering and thinking it has the wrong material as noted earlier in this thread.

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

sponsored links
i-G12
Wat?
1,833 posts
Gallery: 122 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 26, 2012 09:18 |  #182

gakoenig wrote in post #15170380 (external link)
We didn't change the design. The person assembling pull-tabs may have gotten confused and put the wrong webbing on. We have some thicker 3/4" webbing around for prototype work and he must have used it instead of the thinner webbing we use on the pull-tab.

I don't know how many units went out like this, but if you've got one where the slide mechanism seems super stiff, we will be happy to swap it out for you ASAP.

So now I'm confused. Which is the correct webbing to be attached to the cinch pull tab? Mine is 3/4"...should it be wider? :o

Frankly it seems to work OK but then I don't have anything to compare it to since this is my first Cinch!

DarthVader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 26, 2012 09:48 |  #183

If you like the way it works now .. don't worry about the webbing.

i-G12 wrote in post #15171550 (external link)
So now I'm confused. Which is the correct webbing to be attached to the cinch pull tab? Mine is 3/4"...should it be wider? :o

Frankly it seems to work OK but then I don't have anything to compare it to since this is my first Cinch!

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

i-G12
Wat?
1,833 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 26, 2012 09:56 |  #184

Well the thing is I like how it works but would it work that much better if the webbing was wider? Now it appears that it is suppose to be wider so the tab won't slide side to side like mine does now. Right? I noticed this when I first got my strap but since I didn't know any better figured it was suppose to be like that.

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 26, 2012 10:01 as a reply to  @ post 15171667 |  #185

Sorry for the cell phone pics, but I couldn't take photos of my camera with my camera. Here's what my quick adjust strap looks like. It works great.

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cVwQ615uvkk/UIqjJNUkI_I/AAAAAAAAeBE/2WVzJhIBxW4/s1024/IMAG0181.jpg

This is my temporary solution to the QR system until Luma comes out with their system. I bought 1/8" chain links at the hardware store, wrapped the links in heat shrink and used the Op-Tech straps to connect to the camera body. This allows me to quickly remove the vertical grip and attach the strap to either the body strap point, or to the tripod base that came with the Luma strap with another one of those rubber loop thingies from Op-Tech.

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xbhkrjBNTtw/UIqjDhxfF_I/AAAAAAAAeBA/nl2QqWodpPU/s1024/IMAG0179.jpg

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DPlHUI6NN4k/UIqjF42EIQI/AAAAAAAAeA8/JbYeYqaVTUg/s1024/IMAG0180.jpg

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-snWelucKC1g/UIqjKrpwlHI/AAAAAAAAeA0/VxcDIlwI0eE/s1024/IMAG0182.jpg

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 26, 2012 10:05 |  #186

i-G12 wrote in post #15171691 (external link)
Well the thing is I like how it works but would it work that much better if the webbing was wider? Now it appears that it is suppose to be wider so the tab won't slide side to side like mine does now. Right? I noticed this when I first got my strap but since I didn't know any better figured it was suppose to be like that.

It works better if the webbing connected to the tab is thinner, the width is not the primary issue.

Anyway enjoy your cinch ;)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 26, 2012 10:07 |  #187

So now I'm confused. Which is the correct webbing to be attached to the cinch pull tab? Mine is 3/4"...should it be wider?

The callout is for medium weight 3/4" webbing. For a few batches, we couldn't find any 3/4" webbing from any of our supply sources, so we used 1" medium weight webbing. We designed the pull-tab for 1" webbing, but found that the 3/4" looked a bit nicer. Unfortunately, 3/4" can be flakey on availability.

The width doesn't matter so much in this instance though - it is the thickness. Most of the webbing we use at Luma is a soft woven heavy duty webbing that is about 2.5mm thick. The web we use to attach the pull-tab is only 1.5mm thick, but has a denser weave. This is important as it keeps the pull-tab bits from jamming against the main webbing, so the slide adjuster can move freely.

In the beginning of October, we were low on 3/4" pull-tab connector webbing and we had an order in for more. Apparently, someone at our contract sewer took it upon themselves to grab a roll of heavy duty 3/4" webbing from our prototype materials and get a few Cinches out-the-door...

FYI to anyone in contract manufacturing; this is a *really* good way to lose a major client. This shop has been sewing all our product since the original Loop. We pay them a fairly substantial premium for attention to detail, and they have been slipping over the last few months. Given that Luma is just two guys, we need suppliers we can trust not to make hugely embarrassing problems for us (like this).

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,598 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 26, 2012 10:09 |  #188

gakoenig wrote in post #15171734 (external link)
FYI to anyone in contract manufacturing; this is a *really* good way to lose a major client. This shop has been sewing all our product since the original Loop. We pay them a fairly substantial premium for attention to detail, and they have been slipping over the last few months. Given that Luma is just two guys, we need suppliers we can trust not to make hugely embarrassing problems for us (like this).

I think this is fantastic that we get to talk directly to YOU (Luma) and you get to get feedback directly from US in the field to make things better AND keep your customers happy and coming back!

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D III | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 85L 1.4 IS | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 26, 2012 10:19 |  #189

gakoenig wrote in post #15171734 (external link)
...Given that Luma is just two guys, we need suppliers we can trust not to make hugely embarrassing problems for us (like this).

I'm really looking forward to getting my Cinch. I hope it has the correct webbing, but if it doesn't I don't really mind as long as I can trade it in for a correct replacement. I understand that things like this will happen. As long as a company produces a quality product and makes things right if there are issues they will continue to get my business. Thanks for clearing this up and taking the time to respond on POTN.

Do you know the current turn around time? I ordered mine on the 15th.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

i-G12
Wat?
1,833 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 26, 2012 10:26 |  #190

I guess mine is correct. And I love it.

The end.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 26, 2012 21:36 |  #191

lehmanncpa wrote in post #15171707 (external link)
Sorry for the cell phone pics, but I couldn't take photos of my camera with my camera. Here's what my quick adjust strap looks like. It works great.

QUOTED IMAGE

Yours has the correct finer, thinner webbing connecting the pull tab, which is why it works so well.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
8,160 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 26, 2012 23:53 |  #192

lannes wrote in post #15174037 (external link)
Yours has the correct finer, thinner webbing connecting the pull tab, which is why it works so well.

Luma Lab is sending me a new one. I was told those shipped on Oct. 6th were the problem child. When I got mine I was surprised how hard it was to move the strap but thought perhaps it would get better with age. Then news started showing up here about the 'change' then we found no change in design, but the people doing the sewing picked up the wrong material.

Thanks Luma Lab!! :D

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 27, 2012 03:08 |  #193

whmeltonjr wrote in post #15169415 (external link)
I'm debating canceling my membrane connector with the quick release mechanism around the corner. Hmmm...

If you use the tripod mount to connect the cinch to the camera, I don't think the quick release will affect the mounting point, you will still need the membrane connector to free up the tripod mounting point.

DarthVader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 27, 2012 12:43 |  #194

i-G12 wrote in post #15171811 (external link)
I guess mine is correct. And I love it.

The end.

Happy ending :)

Inspeqtor wrote in post #15174404 (external link)
Luma Lab is sending me a new one. I was told those shipped on Oct. 6th were the problem child. When I got mine I was surprised how hard it was to move the strap but thought perhaps it would get better with age. Then news started showing up here about the 'change' then we found no change in design, but the people doing the sewing picked up the wrong material.

Thanks Luma Lab!! :D

Glad gakoenig took care of you.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 27, 2012 13:16 as a reply to  @ DarthVader's post |  #195

Been admiring my new Cinch strap and had a few opportunities to use it in the real world. Very nice, smooth action and most of all, comfortable. The comfort of the shoulder pad more than makes up for the added weight of the strap.

I realize now that the "big" size may be slightly large for me. At first, I thought it was perfect - and it is by itself. However, once I added the extended Op-Tech connectors and my QR modification, it added about 3" on each side and the strap is now at its smallest setting and fits just right. I'd like to have a little adjustability for when I'm wearing just a t-shirt, instead of a heavy jacket.

I may exchange, or I may just cut and re-stitch myself. Not sure yet, but leaning on the self-remedy option.

I had a few thoughts/questions. I would pay an extra $5-10 to have the aluminum fasteners anodized in a different color, say like red, blue or even black. I guess silver doesn't show scratches as easily, but still would like the option. Another question I had is why are the two fasteners on either side of the should strap different? One is trapezoidal and the other is a half moon shape. Just wondering why they didn't make both sides the same and cut design and production costs (re-syncing CNC machines, re-tooling, etc.).

That's it for now.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

sponsored links

276,560 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.