Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 18 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 12:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 1st "publishing"

PaulMedik
541 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 23, 2012 11:42 |  #16

ajaffe wrote in post #15150049 (external link)
....... but 30 years from now that will be harder to determine who it is and also does not do anything for anyone not in the "know" like myself.

ajaffe,

30 years from now we'll be viewing 3D converted images via holograms and we'll be able to zoom, refocus, and change the angles based on computer calculations of what the image would look like. Face recognition will pin point the subjects exact current location along with vital statistics, current hobbies, and interests etc; assuming the 3D s/w calculates enough detail from the face....:o If not enough detail, the calculations will pull in pics from similar time frames to bring up missing detail.

My Flickr (external link) | My Fotki (external link) | My YouTube (external link) MY GEAR, Gear I want, & Sold Gear

sponsored links
bubbygator
THREAD ­ STARTER
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Oct 23, 2012 13:15 |  #17

Paul: All my HS pics get put on facebook by my grandson - I thought it would be the same for JUCO, but was surprised that they had their own website to include pics.

Their latest download wasn't very accurate - about 2/3 of the way through, they begin to duplicate pics. Oh well - it's their site.

Yah, I feel it's about support for the kids. For some, BB is their main hope for the future. Luckily, my grandsons are "A" students as well.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

icemonkey
26 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 24, 2012 19:17 |  #18

Just browsing and saw this post. Nice job mate. Ive been a full time news snapper 20 years so I say this with a ton of authority. Ignore the critical comments, you did a fine job. Sounds like you have some great grandkids.

Huskers69
699 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 24, 2012 21:10 |  #19

bubbygator wrote in post #15151731 (external link)
I realize others are shooting sports better than I - every time I view the pics of DC Fan I sigh with amazement.

Instead of "sighing with amazement", why don't you take some of ajaffe's advice and improve your shots. Sports shooters in this forum aren't just trying to be critical, they're trying to help.

flickr  (external link)
Project365 (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 25, 2012 03:10 |  #20

icemonkey wrote in post #15165357 (external link)
Just browsing and saw this post. Nice job mate. Ive been a full time news snapper 20 years so I say this with a ton of authority. Ignore the critical comments, you did a fine job. Sounds like you have some great grandkids.

Been doing this awhile and can honestly say first time ever heard the term "news snapper"!

Exact opposite advice though, ignore the praise because it's all friends, family and people to afraid to be honest will tell you, but at the same time you take the complaints with a grain of salt unless they have very good points in which you decide with critical thinking. One of the best points made here is to slow down! When I'm running into a game late I'll often be in catch up mode, shoot shoot shoot you're late mode, you have to slap yourself in the head and stop, slow down, and (bad pun alert) refocus. You may walk away with less images per game, but you can still get a good shot of every single player that outweighs 10 so-so shots - and you can also get those peak action, shoot now ask later, type shots as well. Raise the amazement bar by checking out some b-ball shots around, they'll start popping up majorly next month or two in the sports section.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

bubbygator
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 25, 2012 07:55 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #21

Just to make things clear - I'm not ignoring the helpful hints offered here. I just have to figure out how to meld them with my "enthusiasm-of-the-moment".

I think next time I'll shoot in burst mode - that should make me more confident of capturing "the right moment" of the action ... and maybe that will let me slow down on all the other shots.

I also liked some of the shots from that IMG balcony - I think I'll shoot with the 85/1.8 from the stands and see how that goes. Having the distance will help FOV, and perhaps lessen my excitement of being "right there". I may have to crop closer, but IQ should be OK.

Thanks for all comments.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 25, 2012 16:46 |  #22

What are you referring to when you mention field of view? Typically you want to isolate action and not shoot too wide unless you are going for a sense of place that helps add to the action.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

bubbygator
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 25, 2012 17:18 as a reply to  @ ajaffe's post |  #23

When I mention FOV, it's because I (sometimes) need a wider FOV in order to capture the small action scene. Frequently, 1, 2, or 3 kids (with the ball) are moving very fast, while the others (a bit away from the action) are simply standing there. I've had lots of pics where the critical action was just out of the pic. With a wider FOV lens, I can crop to format on the action.

If I had better reflexes and/or better positioning (or maybe a fast tele-lens), I could use a small FOV and still catch it.

I'm 73 years old... and just on the border of being too slow to do anything at all.

Gear List

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 25, 2012 17:33 |  #24

Shooting with both eye open?

If you are familiar to firearms shooting, it is a very similar concept.

bubbygator
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 25, 2012 19:22 as a reply to  @ ajaffe's post |  #25

Ah, no. I can't see far away except with glasses. I have the diopter adjustment of the view-finder adjusted so I can see detail through the view-finder, but NOT with my other eye. I've tried using glasses while shooting, but couldn't get the view-finder adjusted right ... perhaps I just got pissed and didn't try hard enough.

Yah, when I was younger, I shot .45ACP in the Navy and many other pistols, revolvers, and lever-actions along the way. I now have a Taurus "Judge" .410/.45 that I can hopefully point in the about right direction.

Gear List

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 26, 2012 00:30 |  #26

Very similar to shooting handguns or ghost ring sight rifles. Try the both eyes open thing since you are already trained for it.

bubbygator
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 26, 2012 11:45 |  #27

If I could see with either eye, I'd try it. But without glasses or the viewfinder, I'd just be waving my camera around. - - wait ... you mean open my non-viewfinder eye even though I can't see from it??

I could do that when shooting (with bullets) at multiple targets, but I could "see" with my other eye. My mind just "distinguished" between the target portion and the off-target part. But now, if I open my off-camera eye, it's just confusing/distracting because my mind recognizes that it's not making sense of part of the whole.

I appreciate the thought - and I'll try it again next time to see if can "make" my mind assimilate the out-of-focus part.

Gear List

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 26, 2012 13:24 |  #28

Yes open your non-viewfinder eye.

You do need to train yourself to switch your active eye, but since you have shooting experience it will not be as hard as you think. Also the addition of another eye helps you find action before it happens so you in effect turn snapshots into composed photos.

bubbygator
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 15, 2012 23:00 as a reply to  @ ajaffe's post |  #29

2 months later ... This morning I get a call from my daughter informing me that one of my pics is in the local newspaper, and another is in the online version - accompanying the announcement of a 3-day tournament at the Junior College.

So I get to the first game, and the person in charge of the website and outside comm comes over and introduces herself (and laying compliments on me) Yippie.

While waiting for my game to start, a player from the prior game comes over and asks if I have a card so he can order pics - I explain that I only shoot one team.

Just before the game, I go into the entry corridor to see if I can shoot some informal shots - the coach formally introduces me to the team (who mostly know me as "the" photographer), and has them form around me and he takes my pic with the team ... talk about feeling "family"! The tall boy behind me on my left is my grandson.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i803.photobucke​t.com …/IMG_0959_zps12​c1012f.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

After the game is won, and I'm taking pics of them exiting, the coach brings over his father, and introduces us.

I think I've chosen a pretty nice hobby in my old age. :D

Gear List

rob4bama
132 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 16, 2012 21:33 |  #30

Nice pic! Good luck with your hobby!

sponsored links

4,507 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 1st "publishing"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.